Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

2 hours ago, 0tter said:

I've been collecting the Hogwarts releases for my son for when he "comes of age". He is 6 years old and a big LEGO fan. His mother is a big Harry Potter fan, and has introduced him to the first two books (more, and exposure to the movies, as he gets older).

I only just now noticed that none of the sets have the characteristic tower with the "bits" coming off the side (I've done a bit of research and learned that this is Dumbledore's office). I had, naively assumed this was the astronomy tower, so was a little disappointed with the reveal.

Is it likely we will see the Headmaster's tower in a subsequent release? Or does the tower in the Great Hall stand in for it, making a more specific release unlikely.

Please pardon my Potter ignorance.

I think I understand what you’re saying. As said above, that’s the tower in the Great Hall. Couldn’t sworn those turrets were included, but turns out I’m getting confused with the big Hogwarts Castle microscale set. I have a feeling if they did do those they’d just do them like the ones in the AT (so basically the same as the ones in the Hogwarts Castle) for stability. I think you could add it in though, it’d be a cool thing to do as a MOC!

also, “I've been collecting the Hogwarts releases for my son for when he comes of age" - yeah, yeah, I’ll take your word for it, that’s what everyone says ;)

1 hour ago, Crookshanks said:

I want to be more accurate to the actually Hogwarts and going to use the sections and the D2C Hogwarts castle to build a version in minifig scale and trying to not compromised to much but not making it to huge either.. The Astronomy Tower has fantastic exterior that i'm not going to modify so much but the interior isn't impresse me (not the other sections either) but it's inspire me. I'm going to make larger rooms to make some scenes. It's the charm with lego, that you can do it in your way :)

Thanks! I will try to remember this.

This sounds really impressive. I’d love to have the space for this, although I feel like some of the deliberately angled wall sections don’t facilitate this.

Edited by sammy_zammy

1 hour ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Yeah the one in the Great Hall is supposed to be that tower. Ofcourse not very accurate but oh well, you're gonna have to do some building of your own to make it more accurate. I think the only hope for getting the tower again is would they ever remake the great Hall.

Anyone know of any ways of achieving this /seen any custom modifications of the set that achieve this. Im trying to picture how you'd add those 3 towers like that and it's a bit tricky

Edit: found this

k3njze9xzch11.jpg

Edited by Zepthire

7 hours ago, (Insert Name Here) said:

Anyone else annoyed that we still haven't gotten a new print for a Marauder’s Map yet?

I'm thinking of they do they could have a 2x2 tile, with a 1x4 underneath that have two 1x1 tiles on top to look like the map is unfolded.

I’ve been wondering whether we won’t get it in the advent calendar. We got a ridiculously detailed version of Harry’s Hogwarts letter in last year’s after all, and with this year’s calendar allegedly being OotP themed and presumably including Sirius it wouldn’t be a bad place to turn up. 

Just now, Zepthire said:

Anyone know of any ways of achieving this /seen any custom modifications of the set that achieve this. Im trying to picture how you'd add those 3 towers like that and it's a bit tricky

My camera sucks but you should be able to see how I've put it together

20200429_110952.jpg

it is so weird! the face of the new hermione is so similar to the old one. the differences I could see are that the eyebrows are thinner and black when the old is brown and a little bit thicker, and the shape of the angry mouth is a little bit thinner in the new one.

2 minutes ago, ItamatTheGreat said:

it is so weird! the face of the new hermione is so similar to the old one. the differences I could see are that the eyebrows are thinner and black when the old is brown and a little bit thicker, and the shape of the angry mouth is a little bit thinner in the new one.

I agree it is a bit odd, after seeing the characters change so much from the first two films to their POA and GOF looks last year, for this year there not to be as much a change at all (apart from Hermione's and Hary's different hair and no more mid-legs). I guess it's because them aging isn't quite as noticeable? It's a shame as well that Harry's civilian look in the 5th and 6th films is really dull with his short hair and assortment of grey jumpers tho it's still better than the 2010 wave where he wore the same blue jumper in 15 different sets (including a D2C!) :laugh:

I said it a few pages back but I am going to try and hold off a bit of judgement on the figures until I see physical pictures of them rather than the weird rendered ones, as it definitely looks some of them look quite weird like Grawp in a few sets and almost everyone in the Astronomy Tower (it definitely looks jarring for all the dual-moulded legs). 

17 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

My camera sucks but you should be able to see how I've put it together

20200429_110952.jpg

Can't see photo!

Just now, UKFan922 said:

There are some of those hand-held ones though. 

Yeah those pieces originated from the superhero line I think, they were also included in the £20 Grindlewald's Escape set in 2018. I think that sort of piece is as close as we're ever going to get to make it look like the wands are shooting stuff. 

So the sets are supposed to go up for pre-order tomorrow? I'm going to do it. I can't see my local Lego store opening before June 1st.

17 minutes ago, ItamatTheGreat said:

Could it just be because the images are rendered, instead of actual photos? Might have to wait and see the figure in hand to determine whether it's different.

Just now, sammy_zammy said:

Can't see photo!

Hm, I can see it so idk what the problem is. I'll post a link to my Instagram below, the latest 2 posts show my full Hogwarts and then the Tower on it's own. You should be able to see the turrets from there.

2 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Hm, I can see it so idk what the problem is. I'll post a link to my Instagram below, the latest 2 posts show my full Hogwarts and then the Tower on it's own. You should be able to see the turrets from there.

*snip*

this looks absolutely amazing! I adore how you have put a lot of the sets in the same scenery and it all still fits and looks absolutely gorgeous! my compliments!

EDIT: I seem to remember you having mocced your own great halll tower, is this that? I thought that that looked amazing too:wub: 

Edited by Kid Flash

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

That's better. I really like your changes! The courtyard is awesome, much better than the official one. Seeing the Great Hall Tower with the other sides completed makes me wish Lego had made it rounder, as it looks very square.

That's probably why we always say how it looks weird from any angle but head on actually - as it's not just the back that's been cut off, but the way they've designed it means that rather than having 180 degrees of what would be the complete tower, we've more like got 135 degrees. If that makes sense?

I don’t know if someone’s said this before, but just noticed in RoR there are technic bricks for pins at either end at 90 degrees to each other - that’s just asking for you to buy two, with one build backwards, to create a full enclosed room!

48 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

You should be able to see the turrets from there. 

Looks great. I'll try and figure out the bricks needed myself later :classic:

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

Not just in Australia. The Astronomy Tower is 10 euro more expensive than the Burrow over here

That's just an effect they put on the boxart, you can see pretty clearly this is not in the set itself :wink:

I just check and the burrow and the AT are the same price in Canada, which is $140. In Australia the burrow is $10 more and the AT is $30! The PD is the same price from Canadian to Australian. 
Idk what it is, but the pricing seems all over the place this time

although I haven’t really studied the prices from year before

would love to hear any bizarre pricing from other countries. 

Even though they always swamp the castle sections themselves and are totally out of proportion, I always think it looks great and so dynamic when people place the Horntail on the roof. My compliments @Guyon2002 it looks very cool. :classic:

Hi everyone! I am new here ;-)

Here is my current idea to upgrade the Hogwarts sets. I thought you would appreciate ;-)

I still have some work to do... I would be glad to add the new Astronomy Tower to the design. Deskp, would it be possible to share your nice studio file with me please?

Hogwarts.jpg.19a0d8047f9952502e7b7a378fec1132.jpg

Edited by Sirius1348

Hello there!

This is the first time I write here. I've reading about how you plan to connect the astronomy tower to the already existing Hogwarts parts. As soon as I saw the pictures of the new sets yesterday I started thinking about the best way to connect it.

First I'm gonna show a photo of the current state of my Hogwarts Castle. As you see I've added a few extra things, and so far I have been using the Clock Tower as the entry hall where you get from the viaduct. I still have to make the Great Hall tower taller.

115701891_currenthogwarts_opt.jpg.73a798aac4033296ca9eca5987c4f6cd.jpg

I just want to have a good compact Hogwarts silhouette (lack of room), it means that I'm not placing the Clock Tower behind the Great Hall. Instead I think I'm going to remove one of the Clock Tower floors to make it shorter, so the Astronomy Tower would go behind it standing over it. The two mini towers that come with the Astronomy tower would be made taller and go behind the two big towers (a bit like in the real Hogwarts). The removed floor from the clock tower would go, along with the greenhouse, behind the right tower (from our point of view), extending the castle to the right.

I don't know if I made myself clear, english is not my first language.

I hope my idea can be helpful.

Edited by Sakuragi16

24 minutes ago, Sirius1348 said:

Here is my current idea to upgrade the Hogwarts sets. I thought you would appreciate ;-)

I still have some work to do... I would be glad to add the new Astronomy Tower to the design. Deskp, would it be possible to share your nice studio file with me please?

What program are you using? For digital building?

I’m loving all the new sets .. having been reading here and refreshing Instagram most of yesterday morning .. I parked up at work and refreshed once more and there they all were .. had to wait until I finished work and got home to view them on something bigger than my phone ha ha .. loved reading all the opinions and likes and dislikes .. must admit I loved Grawp as soon as I saw him .. it’s a great build. I was slightly disappointed that the centaurs aren’t hinged at the back legs, but ah well, they’re still great.

So then what do we do now .. wait for leaks of the supposed Diagon Alley and the Ministry set I guess ?? ^_^ 

29 minutes ago, Sirius1348 said:

28 minutes ago, Sakuragi16 said:

Hello there!

This is the first time I write here. I've reading about how you plan to connect the astronomy tower to the already existing Hogwarts parts. As soon as I saw the pictures of the new sets yesterday I started thinking about the best way to connect it.

First I'm gonna show a photo of the current state of my Hogwarts Castle. As you see I've added a few extra things, and so far I have been using the Clock Tower as the entry hall where you get from the viaduct. I still have to make the Great Hall tower taller.

I just want to have a good compact Hogwarts silhouette (lack of room), it means that I'm not placing the Clock Tower behind the Great Hall. Instead I think I'm going to remove one of the Clock Tower floors to make it shorter, so the Astronomy Tower would go behind it standing over it. The two mini towers that come with the Astronomy tower would be made taller and go behind the two big towers (a bit like in the real Hogwarts). The removed floor from the clock tower would go, along with the greenhouse, behind the right tower (from our point of view), extending the castle to the right.

I don't know if I made myself clear, english is not my first language.

I hope my idea can be helpful.

Both your layouts are amaaaazing!

Just now, Jarreth2 said:

I’m loving all the new sets .. having been reading here and refreshing Instagram most of yesterday morning .. I parked up at work and refreshed once more and there they all were .. had to wait until I finished work and got home to view them on something bigger than my phone ha ha .. loved reading all the opinions and likes and dislikes .. must admit I loved Grawp as soon as I saw him .. it’s a great build. I was slightly disappointed that the centaurs aren’t hinged at the back legs, but ah well, they’re still great.

So then what do we do now .. wait for leaks of the supposed Diagon Alley and the Ministry set I guess ?? ^_^ 

Yep, but in the meantime try to contain our excitement for this wave :tongue:

@Guyon2002, @Sirius1348, @Sakuragi16 your displays look really great! I love how you’ve each customized the grand staircase tower to include the three iconic little turrets that come off the roof. Could you share instructions and what pieces you each used to achieve that addition? Thanks for sharing!