Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Just now, deskp said:

well the one in front of the round window isn't tan, because tan would make the window look less round from the outside.

the wide doorways i imagine don't come in many colors?

Pretty sure they are new pieces

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

Pretty sure they are new pieces

are they for some mini-doll themes? or the juniors?

Now I’m hoping they do giants for the battle of hogwarts in the same style if not bigger than grawp, a courtyard would be amazing. Have the courtyard next to a bit of the castle, have a giant, giant spiders, Voldemort and Harry duelling in the middle and some death eaters and students 

Little confused about the Burrow releasing in August while the rest are coming in July—if it’s a Target exclusive, does that mean it’ll release in July at Target? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part? 

2 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

About how long from end to end would this display be? I'm guessing it would require a VERY long shelf or table?

1 hour ago, Graupensuppe said:

I didn't like the Great Hall, Whomping Willow, or Clocktower playsets, but the Astronomy Tower looks nice.

Unfortunately it's still not really possible to connect the buildings the way they are in the movie...

ICqBtfN.png

My eyes apparently aren't great. Green is the Great Hall, Blue is the Whomping Willow, Purple is the Astronomy Tower and greenhouses, and Red is the Clocktower?

14 minutes ago, UKFan922 said:

I want to see what's on the cover, too.

I'd guess it's most likely blank.

Although, the Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore was lime green with a lavender front (sticker?) - though that is Deathly Hallows so i'm probably just getting my hopes up

5 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I’m actually quite pleased with the updates on the Ford Anglia, particularly the hood. I’m also really glad they kept the printed stripe on the doors

I am, however, genuinely disappointed that the Astronomy Tower doesn’t have the Vanshing Cabinet

I’m happy with the new one because it has 1 x 2 curved slopes in medium blue, which I really need for my ford anglia moc which I think is more accurate than the ones in the sets, I don’t mind what the sets version look like as long as I can get my slopes cheaper on bricklink :)

14 minutes ago, Borex said:

I don’t really get the white doorways in the astronomy tower. They feel very out of place. I would replace them with tan bows and such. 

It seems kind of strange to me that they wouldn't replace the 4-wide doorways with tan ones since that piece already exists. I guess they wanted to keep it aesthetically unified with the wide doorways which I think were new last year and only in white?

Just now, GalacticHippo said:

It seems kind of strange to me that they wouldn't replace the 4-wide doorways with tan ones since that piece already exists. I guess they wanted to keep it aesthetically unified with the wide doorways which I think were new last year and only in white?

I don’t get why they didn’t just bring them out in tan, compared to the last two years, I’m pretty sure there have been less new mould and prints, I’m hoping this means the diagon alley will have lots of new stuff

I sooo hope we get Hermione's Mary Poppins bag. I hope we get Hermione with her wooly hat on as a new mould with her bag in either a CMF S3 or in a graveyard yet.

Astronomy Tower:

Very nicely built. Love the little details like: the printed hourglass of Slughorn's, the poisoned bottle of mead, the advanced Potion making book. Also we get the candlestick piece in gold. The figures for the most part I like, I know most people hate Ron's and Lavender's, but I like how colourful they are. Great to get Neville and Malfoy too. Bit surprised by the colouring of the greenhouse, and the inclusion of a Raven claw common room (could've had a larger version of the hospital wing there instead?) Really wish there was a build for the vanishing cabinet though, instead Draco has a scroll to look at?

Privet Drive:

Little underwhelmed by the figures. The build is nicely detailed though: the stickers and tile prints are good. The opening side wall to get to the cupboard under the stairs is clever. And I think the flying Ford Anglia build is a step up from the last build of it. The tree build outside looks quite unique too.

Forbidden Forest:

I'm very impressed by the build of Grawp, looks a lot better than I thought he would. Great use of parts for the ears and belly button. The tree build is also cool, has a few brighter leaf pieces than we've been getting, also nice how it opens up. Also good that we get two Centaurs not just one. The others figs are pretty good too.

Attack on the Burrow: The figs are a mixed bag, Bellatrix and Fenrir are a downgrade from the last burrow for me. Arthur and Molly, glad to be getting them. Finally getting Ginny and Tonks, they're okay. Harry and Ron a little plain. The build itself looks pretty sturdy, and has a good height to it. The downstairs is probably my favourite part. Really appreciate the colour variety. I think Mrs Wesley's room could've been swapped with Ron's, just so Harry and Ron could both stand in it. The fireplace and clock details are cool too.

Room of Requirement: Probably the most likely set I'll get (mainly as I can't really buy the really expensive ones). The design looks perfects, love the inclusion of the board with the old order and Cedric on. The fireplace is nice, the sliding wall is awesome. Glad that we get 4 of Umbridge's decrees and the play feature is nice. The figures are probably a good way to get plain robes for year 5 characters. Kind of wish Neville was in the set, as he found the Room of Requirement (in the film). The training dummy is fun. And the Patronuses are nice and colourful as well. Clever to have the what was mirrors/glass in the film, be more blue to match the Patronuses.

Hedwig: I mean, like a lot of people, it's not really my thing. But I thike how it can flap it's wings, so it isn't stationary. Like the sealed envelope. The exclusive Harry is cool too. Like how the base has the Gryffindor colours. There's something about the eyes on Hedwig that look just. A little off. But as I said, I probably wasn't going to get it anyway. But it's a good display piece.

Edited by (Insert Name Here)

Seeing the RoM set makes me want a Gryffindor common room even more badly, and illustrates how one could be made easily. Keep the shape of RoM but add one little half wall (like the one with the fireplace) on the other side. Have a similar noticeboard and fireplace, then add two armchairs (like the builds in the Burrow/Private Drive) and a table. And change the door for a portrait. Then just decorate with stickers like in RoM. Include 3 figures and sell for like $30. That would be perfect. I think this is the most detailed room we've got even though it's the smallest - due to it being it's own set.

I also thinks this sets the precedent for more small rooms that don't necessarily connect to the larger castle/look great from the outside (like I tried to state the other day, before being shot down and losing my temper). So I hope for Gryffindor and Slytherin common rooms, a bathroom and some more classrooms.  

It really makes me wish we'd had more small sets like this dotted through the other waves. I wish Lego would come out with 3 small sets in this design - like they did with the classroom/common room/DA shops in 2002.

Edited by UKFan922

1 hour ago, sammy_zammy said:

@Crookshanks You'll notice both the Clock Tower and the Great Hall in the background of Astronomy Tower - safe to say, I think you'll be safe being able to get Great Hall for a while as yet :sweet:

I was another one a little worried by the lack of stock anywhere for the Great Hall for a few weeks now. I'm not sure its inclusion in the box art necessarily suggests that set will be around for a while though. Lots of people already have the set, so of course they want to show how amazing this new set looks next to it! "The Great Hall is wonderful, but see why you should buy this other set too!" I think it should stay around for a while because, as someone said, it's like the Millennium Falcon of Harry Potter. It's key to nearly every one of the books and movies.

FWIW, I did a chat with customer service today. They don't have a date for more stock of the Great Hall in the US, but it is not on any retirement lists. They fully expect more stock eventually.

19 minutes ago, autolycus said:

About how long from end to end would this display be? I'm guessing it would require a VERY long shelf or table?

End-to-end you will need around 4.5 feet of display surface. Here is how I currently have my Hogwarts castle set up. I can’t wait to swap out Hagrid’s Hut for the Astronomy Tower!

https://imgur.com/gallery/XaeTrfU

I wonder if Draco in his iconic black suit will be in the CMF now? I really hope we get him.

11 minutes ago, LEGOMotionStudios said:

Since we have most of the main buildings within hogwarts now, do you think it’s possible we’ll see a courtyard build for next year’s deathly hallows sets?

I thought about that too.

The latest iteration of HP started out so unbelievably amazing and there are still some real gems in this wave, but I can't help but feel like the theme is starting to lose its way a bit. When the first wave with sets like The Great Hall and Qudditch Match came out, they were improving leaps and bounds over anything HP had seen before and the sets were irresistible. But as the theme's gone on, everything just feels less compelling. Privot Drive is amazing--the cupboard under the stairs, letters in the fireplace, and window feature are great details that really emulate where this line started. Sadly I'm not too interested in its subject matter. The rest of the sets just feel kind of average.

I mean, which Lego executive looked at the Half Blood Prince and said, you know what scene in that movie would really sell? Slughorn's dinner party. Seriously?? Why did we not get Dumbledore and Snape in this set? The previous Snape was great but there definitely is room to make a new iteration! How about Dumbledore? We got him in the Yule Ball (over Pomfrey and Moaning Myrtle, I might add), but his inclusion in a set literally titled Astronomy Tower isn't warranted? Really? I don't want a waiter Neville, especially when we still don't have a Neville in regular Hogwarts robes. And how many dresses do we need for Hermione? This HP theme is more mature than previous years; I know Lego shies away from death scenes, but an Astronomy Tower set should be based around the battle there. Dumbledore, Snape, two Death Eaters, maybe Crabbe and Goyle would've been much preferred to this lineup. Even Professor Sprout instead of being in the CMF wave could've been included, since we get the greenhouse here. It's not like they left out a Snape repeat for characters we don't already have. This is the fourth Luna, second Neville, and third Hermione this wave alone.

I know some people have been knocking the Ravenclaw common room; for me, it's one of the redeeming rooms in this set, but either way, none of the Hogwarts sets have matched The Great Hall yet. Dumbledore's office last wave was disappointing and crammed into a tiny tower. Why not save it for this set? No one would miss Slughorn's office and few would miss the Ravenclaw dorm if they were to be replaced by it. We go from a $130 Hogwarts to a $350 (and counting) Hogwarts and somehow the quality of one of the most iconic places in the castle has arguably gone down. It would be great to have that in this set. Or any other combination of improvements--the interior just feels very underwhelming. And get rid of the white door frames.

I just can't shake the thought of how awesome it would've been to get a Dumbledore with some sort of visible curse on his hand, his office with the pensive, locket, ring, the vanishing cabinet (there's an empty hallway right there), Death Eaters (Borgin), etc. That would be a killer set.

I have the old burrow and this one is a HUGE improvement on the interior. (Not sure it's worth the pricetag or how it got the highest piece count, but I'll let that go.) But once again, I can't help but feel disappointed. Bellatrix is a clear step back. Almost exactly the same figure, but without printing on the dress, and IMO that does make a fair amount of difference for the quality of this particular figure. Same goes for Molly, who probably shouldn't have a dress piece to begin with. I also prefer the old Ginny and Greyback figures. I just feel like that's a huge mistake for Lego to make, since my impression of these waves is such a stark improvement over prior versions, especially in terms of minifigures. These figures, at worst, should be roughly equivalent to the old ones, certainly not a clear downgrade.

Again, I can't help but think back to the first wave. The new Filch, the new Hagrid, Quirrel, Nearly Headless Nick, even the new Lupin and dementors, not to mention the CMF, or wave two's Maxime, Dumbledore, and honestly so many others. They found a way to improve on figures that didn't even need improving. Between the two Hogwarts sets this wave, there are only two exclusive characters total: Slughorn and Lavander (and some already have Slughorn). There were four in TGH alone. Where did that kind of attention to minifigures go?

I just don't look at these sets and say, wow, Lego has really outdone themselves this time and these are must-buys for me. They met expectations.

Astronomy Tower - I LOVE IT, it's the best castle section lego have did. It's waaay more better then what I expect. But it's feels that lego compromised with the figures, Neville is my favourite. I like that Lavender get a bow. All the details, in the top of the tower, Slughorns book. I've hoped that the greenhouse would be bigger.. I like that we get an sidebuilding with it!

The burrow - I really like it. It's an amazing set. Mollys hair disapointed me and hoped that Tonks should have her more iconic pink hair. Arthur and Ginny is really well made. I like the pig to.

Privat drive - Really nice set. I'm suprised over that the house was that detaild. Petunia and Dudley is nice. I had hoped that they did Vernon better than that. Another almost same looking car in two sets is really anoying. Probably I will wait for a good sale to get one.

Room of requriement, a really sweet set. I really like it and the statue was a nice suprise. This probably will mean I will buy another set of expecto patronum to get Harrys patronum to for this scen.

Forbidden forest - I like the tree and that you can open it. The centatures is the best with this set. I like this version of Umbridge more then the bricktobers. Graup.. He's look awful. I don't like the childish look he have.

Hedwig - The idea was good, but they failed :( Probably I will buy this set to get a complete collection. Not worth the full price. With some more tiles she probably look better. But her eyes look little creepy.

I'm so courios of the other sets i autumn now!

black suit Draco is all over half deathly hallows films.  we havent missed out on him just yet.

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

I don't think it has been pointed out yet but there are 1x1 versions of the 1x2 masonry brick in Privet Drive

You mean in dark tan? That one on the front is a 1x2 but it is built into the side wall. I'm not seeing anything else that could be a 1x1

33 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

End-to-end you will need around 4.5 feet of display surface. Here is how I currently have my Hogwarts castle set up. I can’t wait to swap out Hagrid’s Hut for the Astronomy Tower!

https://imgur.com/gallery/XaeTrfU

Thanks! That's what I was afraid of! Longest space I could put this right now is ~44" long, and even that requires taking apart some other sets. I guess I do have one spot that's ~60" long, but it's loaded with other things that don't fit elsewhere very well... hmm.. I'll just have to go with a split display, I'm afraid!

EDIT: Now time to take suggestions on how best to stagger or layer these sets on 1 or 2 shelves that are wide enough for 3 of the big sets...

Edited by autolycus

Wow! Wow! Wow! The wait is finally over & it was worth it! These are fantastic. I absolutely love the AT, seeing it with the rest if the Castle...:wub_drool: I’m still eating up all the details. The Dursley’s looks great. Bummed Lave dear doesn’t have a skirt though...what a missed opportunity. Grawp looks great, they handled him beautifully. 

Now I really hope the stores start opening by the time these are released. It’s going to be awful having to wait up to two weeks for these. The usual one week is bad enough. :cry3: