Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

28 minutes ago, UKFan922 said:

I wonder if we could ever get a Hogwarts D2C playset. While I appreciate the beauty of the Hogwarts D2C and I do own it, I regret buying it and I cam never love it because it's just neither here nor there for me. I was expecting a D2C playset with a large portion of the castle. And when I found out it would be microscale I expected it to be a full model of the castle to display. I really hope the theme sticks around for a few years so we might get a D2C with Gryffindor Tower and the staircase.

I hate to say it but the great hall, despite being the centerpiece of the new line isn't a very good representation of the buildings it's representing.

I hope in around 5 years we get those buildings remade (hopefully LEGO will continue this pin connection system for castle sets long into the line's future instead of changing it again). The Great Hall itself has amazing detailing but the building is too short and I think the 2010 version is a better example of the overall shape. The Courtyard section could definitely be improved aswell but the main issue with that set is the staircase tower. The tower being only 50% complete makes it almost always look awkward at most angles and it doesn't help that the other castle sections have to attach from behind the tower which draws more attention to it. They should have either given us 5/8th if the tower like the 2010 set and have buildings attach from the side or ideally give us as much of the tower as the microscale version. The tower was also too short for my liking and missing some of its most iconic features like the smaller turrets coming out of the roof and the larger section of the tower right under the roof (even the 2001 version managed to include this).

To me the 2018 version shows that LEGO wasn't completely confident in the theme and wanted to condense some structures into a single set in case the line didn't last very long. It's still a great set but it definitely isn't perfect and it's the only set from the reboot so far that I think LEGO could improve. 

I do hope that LEGO never makes a minifigure scale Hogwarts D2C. Like @Guyon2002 said that's what the normal sets should be for. 

23 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

I'm just glad that the microscale set comes with a minifigure. Because if this line followed the recent Star Wars promos, we'd just be getting a microscale scene and then I would be peeved. 

Not including a figure would be better. Including an exclusive figure just feels like a desperate attempt to get minifigure scale LEGO collectors interested. 

Edited by MaxHeadroom

Exclusive GWP sets have been around for a long time, including ones with minifigures. I don’t understand why it’s such a shock to some people. If there’s a D2C, expect a GWP. Exclusive minifigs have always been a thing. Personally, I think it’s better when there IS a minifig in these, because it adds to my collection where there would otherwise be a void.

Oh boy, I'm excited about the GWP Hogsmead and might get it but I really hope the figure isn't Aberforth. I just bricklinked parts from several shops to build the optimal custom Aberforth and don't want to see a better one coming out :D Rosmerta or werewolf Lupin (unlikely though) would be perfect for me.

Just now, thenudeorganist said:

Oh boy, I'm excited about the GWP Hogsmead and might get it but I really hope the figure isn't Aberforth. I just bricklinked parts from several shops to build the optimal custom Aberforth and don't want to see a better one coming out :D Rosmerta or werewolf Lupin (unlikely though) would be perfect for me.

Why would you do that knowing this theme is ongoing and characters we don’t have yet will most likely be made before this theme ends? One way or another, Aberforth is inevitable 

7 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Exclusive GWP sets have been around for a long time, including ones with minifigures. I don’t understand why it’s such a shock to some people. If there’s a D2C, expect a GWP. Exclusive minifigs have always been a thing. Personally, I think it’s better when there IS a minifig in these, because it adds to my collection where there would otherwise be a void.

It's not a shock for people though, a GWP coming out with the D2C was to be expected. Some people, including me, just don't like GWP's with exclusive minifigures. So even if a GWP is most likely going to have an exclusive minifigure it can still be disappointing for those who aren't big fans of GWP's to begin with.

My main problem with GWP's is how they are only available through LEGO themselves. For me ordering from LEGO means I have to pay significantly more money for a set then at the retailers/shops I usually buy my sets from. What makes it even worse is knowing the exclusive figure you'll be getting the GWP for may turn up in another future set (*cough* Ollivander *cough*)

Just now, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Why would you do that knowing this theme is ongoing and characters we don’t have yet will most likely be made before this theme ends? One way or another, Aberforth is inevitable 

That is certainly a good question :D Seriously though, I don't mind. The best thing about Lego is that you can create your own. I'm also very impatient and don't necessarily plan on spending too much money on Lego.

31 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I don't think anyone is shocked by it. People just dislike it. 

I’m very excited for this GWP! The microscale Diagon Alley is my favorite GWP and Hogsmeade will look great next to the D2C Hogwarts. I don’t care much about the exclusive figure, it’ll be nice to get a new character (hopefully) but like Ollivander I won’t have anywhere to put them unless I want them rampaging through Hogsmeade like a giant (which is what Ollivander is doing in Diagon Alley right now). I like exclusive figures with GWPs and D2Cs but with these microscale Harry Potter GWPs I’d rather have exclusive nanofigures of relevant characters rather than exclusive minifigures, especially since the figures will eventually be released again even if they’re slightly different. 

As someone who is not particularly interested in microscale sets, I am unlikely to go out of my way to get a GWP Hogsmeade if it doesn't have an exclusive minifigure, but I hope it means that a minifigure scale version becomes a D2C set eventually.

1 minute ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I’m very excited for this GWP! The microscale Diagon Alley is my favorite GWP and Hogsmeade will look great next to the D2C Hogwarts. I don’t care much about the exclusive figure, it’ll be nice to get a new character (hopefully) but like Ollivander I won’t have anywhere to put them unless I want them rampaging through Hogsmeade like a giant (which is what Ollivander is doing in Diagon Alley right now). I like exclusive figures with GWPs and D2Cs but with these microscale Harry Potter GWPs I’d rather have exclusive nanofigures of relevant characters rather than exclusive minifigures, especially since the figures will eventually be released again even if they’re slightly different. 

I think your idea of putting exclusive nanofigures in these GWPs is really good. It would give people who want the GWP something they can actually use with it and the absence of an exclusive minfigure doesn't ''force'' minifigure collectors to get it.

Edited by Guyon2002

Just now, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Fair enough if exclusive figures aren’t your thing. I just see any new minifigure as a good thing. It’s not like it’s a SDCC situation 

I don't mind exclusive minifigures, literally all minifigures that only appear in 1 set are exclusive. I'm just not a big fan of GWPs having them :tongue:

But it's still just a rumor and we don't even know what the figure will be so it's probably better to end this here

Super stoked for a Hogsmeade gwp! It will be interesting to see which buildings they decide to include. We only really see Honeydukes, the Three Broomsticks, the Shrieking Shack, and the Hog’s Head in the movies, but the we’ve also got a canon design for Zonko’s from other sources, and I can definitely see the Shrieking Shack being left off this year’s gwp like Borgin & Burke’s wasn’t included in the 2018 one. The exclusive minifigure will almost certainly be Madam Rosmerta or Aberforth Dumbledore. 

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

I don't mind exclusive minifigures, literally all minifigures that only appear in 1 set are exclusive. I'm just not a big fan of GWPs having them :tongue:

But it's still just a rumor and we don't even know what the figure will be so it's probably better to end this here

It’s as much a rumor as anything else kingnono has said. What else are we going to talk about anyway? There isn’t exactly a fountain of leaks coming in at the moment

7 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

It’s not like it’s a SDCC situation 

Agreed. The GWP-exclusive minifigs aren't THAT hard to track down, especially in comparison to SDCC minifigs, Mr Gold and the likes :wink: Oh, and it says "exclusive minifig", not "exclusive character", so I wouldn't be surprised if that was something à la Harry in winter gear rather than Aberforth :grin:

we already got a £320 playscale D2C hogwarts. It’s called the great hall, whomping willow, clock tower and Astronomy tower. Legit, if you buy them all, you have a great playscale hogwarts.

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

Agreed. The GWP-exclusive minifigs aren't THAT hard to track down, especially in comparison to SDCC minifigs, Mr Gold and the likes :wink: Oh, and it says "exclusive minifig", not "exclusive character", so I wouldn't be surprised if that was something à la Harry in winter gear rather than Aberforth :grin:

As weird as this sounds, I didn’t even think of Harry as a possibility. But now that I think about it, an exclusive Hogsmeade Harry is certainly on the table

Just now, Legoniche said:

we already got a £320 playscale D2C hogwarts. It’s called the great hall, whomping willow, clock tower and Astronomy tower. Legit, if you buy them all, you have a great playscale hogwarts.

No, it's not. No playset can ever be as detailed or complete as a D2C. And it also means that lots of stuff is missing. I still want a D2C minifig style portion of Hogwarts and I'm entitled to that want. And judging by the reaction to the previous D2C, lots of others would like one too.

Oooooh, that's was a nice suprise to get an GWP with an exclusive minifigure! But I would be really disappointed if the GWP set only includes with buying the D2C set (like the batmobile).. Otherwise it would be amazing!

Every set and every minifigures makes me happy. Even if i'm not like the building, I can use the pieces for something else.

Just now, UKFan922 said:

No, it's not. No playset can ever be as detailed or complete as a D2C. And it also means that lots of stuff is missing. I still want a D2C minifig style portion of Hogwarts and I'm entitled to that want. And judging by the reaction to the previous D2C, lots of others would like one too.

I can see them doing something like that once they’re finished all the individual sections and most or all of them are retired. Still not super likely, but if it happens, that’s probably when it would be

Damn, instead of a book with Snape they should’ve made one with Lupin :look: The Snape fig is more common. There hasn’t been talk about another Lupin in the sets/CMF, right? (Apart from the initial rumor of the burrow)

As for the GWP, I really don’t care about anything micro scale but I guess I can sell it (That is, if I love the D2C and get it)

On a side note, I wish they could’ve exploited Poppy’s plastic skirt for this year’s sets. (Uniforms and Lavender’s skirt)

Not sure how to feel about this. Any new figure is very welcome, but for me it's a pain ordering from Lego, I've had terrible experience with it in the past. I would be really happy if Olivander in the D2C is the exact same as in the gwp as it would give some hope for getting the new gwp figure in the future. I agree 100% with @GoldenNinja3000 that there should be nanofigures in these gwp. Oh well.

Just seen that Universal have signed an agreement with LEGO around release more movies.... highly unlikely but what would everyone’s thoughts be on a LEGO HP film?

When do you guys think the GWP will be available? I really hope it isn't around Christmas like it was in 2018. I would love for it to come out at the same time as the D2C, but maybe that's too much to hope for...

16 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Not sure how to feel about this. Any new figure is very welcome, but for me it's a pain ordering from Lego, I've had terrible experience with it in the past. 

Same for me, alongside the fact ordering from LEGO directly is more expensive than other retailers ofcourse.

2 minutes ago, Scarlet_Patronus said:

Just seen that Universal have signed an agreement with LEGO around release more movies.... highly unlikely but what would everyone’s thoughts be on a LEGO HP film?

The chances of a LEGO Harry Potter movie are now pretty much nonexistent. Harry Potter is owned by Warner Brothers, the previous company to have the exclusive right to make LEGO movies (that's why Voldemort could appear in The LEGO Batman Movie). Universal doesn't own the Harry Potter movies :wink: