Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Did anyone notice that the slogan for Diagon Alley appeared on the back of the book, I think it was hinted that the D2C set released in September will be Diagon Alley

15 minutes ago, bbrousong said:

Did anyone notice that the slogan for Diagon Alley appeared on the back of the book, I think it was hinted that the D2C set released in September will be Diagon Alley

Do you mean on the back of the Magical Treasury book we've been discussing? I don't think there is a Diagon Alley symbol. There is the Wizarding World symbol with the wands, but that's just a brand symbol used these days on HP merchandise because it now covers Fantastic Beasts etc and not just HP. I don't think there is any hint as to a Diagon Alley D2C.

20 minutes ago, bbrousong said:

Besides there existing no hints at all as to what a possible D2C could be I still don't think it's happening. Only one guy who we've never heard of before mentioned something that hints to a D2C. Other than that guy, who's info is questionable, nobody has mentioned something even remotely close to a D2C set (unless I missed something). 

If this supposed D2C existed we definetely would've heard something about it from people like FalconFan

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

此外,关于D2C可能是什么的任何提示,我仍然不认为这正在发生。我们只有一个从未听说过的人提到过D2C的暗示。除了那个人的信息值得怀疑的那个家伙以外,没有人提到过甚至接近D2C装置的东西(除非我错过了一些东西)。 

如果这个所谓的D2C存在,我们肯定会从FalconFan之类的人那里听到一些有关它的信息

Take a look at the sales page of the book LEGO® Harry Potter ™ Magical Treasury on Amazon and you will find clues in the introduction picture

That Diagon Alley mentioned there (under "Explore") could still mean this set from 2018 : 

40289: Diagon Alley

40289-1.jpg?201810250747

Edited by TeriXeri

Just now, bbrousong said:

Take a look at the sales page of the book LEGO® Harry Potter ™ Magical Treasury on Amazon and you will find clues in the introduction picture

1. This could easily be based on the GWP or 2010/2011 set.

2. We don't have anything even close to Wizarding New York, the next Fantastic Beasts sets we're getting (IF we're even getting them) won't come out untill late next 2021.

3. Books like this one often show older sets

4. This wouldn't be the first time a book ''hinted'' at a possible future set. The writers of these books know as much about the next few waves as we do.

5. The argument from my previous post: no one with a reputable reputation has confirmed the existence of a D2C

45 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

1. This could easily be based on the GWP or 2010/2011 set.

2. We don't have anything even close to Wizarding New York, the next Fantastic Beasts sets we're getting (IF we're even getting them) won't come out untill late next 2021.

3. Books like this one often show older sets

4. This wouldn't be the first time a book ''hinted'' at a possible future set. The writers of these books know as much about the next few waves as we do.

5. The argument from my previous post: no one with a reputable reputation has confirmed the existence of a D2C

I stand by my point and we will figure it out in mid-August this year

Yule ball varients we're missing - Cho, Pavarti, Padma, Ginny, McGonagall, Angelina, Mad Eye, Karkaroff (although we've not had another version of him either since the reboot. Most of the male characters wear tuxedos with their shirts and ties varying between white and black, so they aren't the most interesting. Neville, Dean, Seamus, Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle, Nigel and Roger Davies are the male characters we're missing. Flitwick has a double brested waistcoat which is more interesting and Fred has something more outlandish, I assume George wears the same but I can't check right now. 

If the Advent Calender is Yule Ball themed, Ron and Harry take of their jackets, but there isn't a varient for Hermione. Lego has a history of putting twins/siblings/similar characters in the same CMF wave, so the Weasley or Patil twins could work for WW series two. 

1 hour ago, Seaber said:

Yule ball varients we're missing - Cho, Pavarti, Padma, Ginny, McGonagall, Angelina, Mad Eye, Karkaroff (although we've not had another version of him either since the reboot. Most of the male characters wear tuxedos with their shirts and ties varying between white and black, so they aren't the most interesting. Neville, Dean, Seamus, Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle, Nigel and Roger Davies are the male characters we're missing. Flitwick has a double brested waistcoat which is more interesting and Fred has something more outlandish, I assume George wears the same but I can't check right now. 

If the Advent Calender is Yule Ball themed, Ron and Harry take of their jackets, but there isn't a varient for Hermione. Lego has a history of putting twins/siblings/similar characters in the same CMF wave, so the Weasley or Patil twins could work for WW series two. 

I’d rather Lego avoid putting Yule Ball variants in the CMF, because CMFs aren’t just a source of new prints, they’re also one of our best sources for new accessories, and because the Ball scenes are so heavy on the dancing there really aren’t many items that could be used as accessories. I’d much rather see Yule Ball variants in an advent calendar where they can stand on their own. Also, nobody really wants Yule Ball variants of minor characters if they don’t have the Golden Trio - an advent calendar allows Lego to throw in Harry, Ron and Hermione in their dress robes as the reused figures (and all advent calendars have some preexisting figures, there isn’t the budget to do 6 or 7 completely new figs) and then fill out the rest of the calendar with other Yule Ball variants. That way the people who couldn’t afford the Clocktower set don’t feel alienated (and even have a 50% cheaper way of getting the Yule Ball trio), and those who do have the Clocktower have a nice little expansion to it and can do whatever they want with the repeats (Harry’s torso in particular is very useful if one wants to populate the face floor). 

Just in general I think Yule Ball variants have more playability when you’ve got a group of them, which makes them more appealing to children/parents/casual fans when they’re in an advent calendar then in a CMF where you actually have to put some work in if you want to get the entire group. 

Apparantly Harry Potter wasn't one of the six best selling themes for 2019, it falls in the category ''other themes that performed well''.

Apparantly Harry Potter wasn't one of the six best selling themes for 2019, it falls in the category ''other themes that performed well''.

So basically the same as in 2018 :classic: This shouldn‘t come as a surprise though, there‘s just no way HP with its 6-7 sets a year can outperform themes with at least 20-30 yearly sets under their belt :grin:

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

So basically the same as in 2018 :classic: This shouldn‘t come as a surprise though, there‘s just no way HP with its 6-7 sets a year can outperform themes with at least 20-30 yearly sets under their belt :grin:

It was to be expected but I'm pretty sure HP was in the top 6 best selling themes in 2018. But the fact that HP does almost as well with a few sets as other themes do with a large amount of sets is very promising.

1 minute ago, Lego-Freak said:

It was to be expected but I'm pretty sure HP was in the top 6 best selling themes in 2018. But the fact that HP does almost as well with a few sets as other themes do with a large amount of sets is very promising.

No I do not think it was actually, so that information do not have much value I think!

In 2018 WW had 4 sets among the top 10 bestselling sets, but where still not a top 6 selling theme in the yearly report *huh*
I wonder how the top 10 sets are for 2019, WW did not have a new D2C or a CMF last year, but maybe they managed to get a set or two on the list anyway :wink:

2 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

No I do not think it was actually, so that information do not have much value I think!

You‘re right, it wasn‘t in the top 6, but it was specifically mentioned in the report as a well-selling theme, alongside Jurassic World (which wasn’t mentioned this year) :classic:

6 minutes ago, BrickBuilderX said:

Hi, I'm new on here so apologies if the answer to this seems obvious. 

As some of you said that the D2C has not been confirmed by a reputable source, I was wondering if https://jedijacpenguin.com/everythingweknowaboutLEGO2020.htm is considered a good source for information? 

I believe he is a fairly reputable source but he's not even sure if the question mark after HP D2C is anything to go by. Overall we haven't gotten any substantial rumors yet so as long as it remains that way I would suggest keeping D2C expectations low.

I believe he is a fairly reputable source but he's not even sure if the question mark after HP D2C is anything to go by. Overall we haven't gotten any substantial rumors yet so as long as it remains that way I would suggest keeping D2C expectations low.

Thank you for that information! 

Jedijacpenguin is reliable, but I‘m pretty sure their info regarding the D2C is the same German youtuber that started the rumour in the first place :classic: Maybe inadvertently so, since all he said was „there‘s also supposed to be a big set coming out“. The way he phrased it can‘t really be interpreted any other way, but there was also confusion surrounding his statement about Hedwig, so... :shrug_oh_well:

8 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

What were the six best?

Just now, steam235 said:

What were the six best?

In no particular order City, Friends, Marvel, Star Wars, Classic and Technic

3 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Jedijacpenguin is reliable, but I‘m pretty sure their info regarding the D2C is the same German youtuber that started the rumour in the first place :classic: Maybe inadvertently so, since all he said was „there‘s also supposed to be a big set coming out“. The way he phrased it can‘t really be interpreted any other way, but there was also confusion surrounding his statement about Hedwig, so... :shrug_oh_well:

Thanks for your response. It's interesting to know where the rumour came from originally. 

I just completed Harry Potter Y1-4 again after many years since my first play :D

I had forgotten about some of the unlockable characters...It made me wonder if the theme keeps going strong we could get some of the background Hogwarts staff such as Madam Pince, Professor Sinistra and Professor Vector, I think they would be neat choices to get in a future advent Callander or large castle sections 

45 minutes ago, Bugbot20082 said:

I just completed Harry Potter Y1-4 again after many years since my first play :D

I had forgotten about some of the unlockable characters...It made me wonder if the theme keeps going strong we could get some of the background Hogwarts staff such as Madam Pince, Professor Sinistra and Professor Vector, I think they would be neat choices to get in a future advent Callander or large castle sections 

I would definetely love to get more background characters but the chances of getting a certain background character completely depend on his/her design. I don't think we'll ever see Pince and Vector, due to them needing a new mold that would be hard to use elsewhere. But other background characters like Sinistra and the Hogwarts Ghosts, who don't need a new mold to be made accurately, I could definetely see being made. I think our only chance of getting characters like Pince and Vector is either the CMF (though I don't think they would choose such obscure characters with the already limited amount of slots) or a more inaccurate figure in a standard set. 

In the end I think it will all depend on the theme's lifespan. They can't keep giving us the same characters over and over again for eternity

I’ve decided to preemptively take the wind out of the sails of a discussion that hasn’t even started yet. The context? Stonewars have published a blog post wherein they reasonably argue for a HP D2C set. The catch though: their argument is entirely based on the thought-to-be-postponed CMF series. The news apparently hasn’t spread beyond EB yet... :grin:

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

I’ve decided to preemptively take the wind out of the sails of a discussion that hasn’t even started yet. The context? Stonewars have published a blog post wherein they reasonably argue for a HP D2C set. The catch though: their argument is entirely based on the thought-to-be-postponed CMF series. The news apparently hasn’t spread beyond EB yet... :grin:

I've noticed that too. It's quite strange actually, but then the message never seemed to get out on the main #legoleaks Instagram which I think is how news normally explodes. I was listening to Bricks & Bits #81 the other day and the next CMF series after Series 20 was mentioned and neither Ryan or Just2Good seemed to have any knowledge of this either. Of course, we don't yet have a definitive answer as to whether it has been delayed so we could be wrong. What I don't get is why a new CMF has to equal a D2C anyway. I know that's how it usually works, but with the Disney, Simpsons D2Cs for example, the figures in the CMFs complimented those sets and could be used to add extra playable or displayable characters. The last HP D2C did come with the founded minifigures, but it was essentially a microscale set, so none of the CMFs could be 'used' with it. Is there are specific reason why a CMF should = a D2C?