Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

1 hour ago, Accio Lego said:

No offense, but would you please stop complaining about how they’ve cast black actresses to play Hermione. JKR has supported the decision - stating that she never specified Hermione’s race in the books, the movies have already played fast and loose with some of the character appearances from the books, and ultimately the play and movies are different cannons that aren’t obliged to conform to each other’s visual appearances. With so many other things to dislike about the production, the fact that you’re so hung up on it is coming off as uncomfortably racist. 

I completely disagree. Race swapping roles is just stupid, just like gender swapping roles is stupid. That doesn’t make me racist or sexist, it just makes me someone who values consistency of classic characters rather than cheap ways to advertise “inclusion”

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

Just now, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I completely disagree. 

I agree completely with you disagreeing. 

1 hour ago, Accio Lego said:

No offense, but would you please stop complaining about how they’ve cast black actresses to play Hermione. JKR has supported the decision - stating that she never specified Hermione’s race in the books, the movies have already played fast and loose with some of the character appearances from the books, and ultimately the play and movies are different cannons that aren’t obliged to conform to each other’s visual appearances. With so many other things to dislike about the production, the fact that you’re so hung up on it is coming off as uncomfortably racist. 

No offense but there is literally a line in POA that says Hermione is white: “Hermoine’s white face was sticking out from behind a tree.” It’s not racism, it’s a really dumb inconsistency, a contrived attempt to be inclusive. There’s nothing wrong with being inclusive, it’s just comes off fake when you are changing established lore to fit an agenda just like Dumbledore gay. But this is a Lego thread, not a thread discussing JK’s insanity.

Edited by RODDY

14 minutes ago, RODDY said:

But this is a Lego thread, not a thread discussing JK’s insanity.

The entire reason I brought up the fact that the race discussion was making me uncomfortable was because I didn’t think it had any place here. 

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I completely disagree. Race swapping roles is just stupid, just like gender swapping roles is stupid. That doesn’t make me racist or sexist, it just makes me someone who values consistency of classic characters rather than cheap ways to advertise “inclusion”

I wouldn’t say that whitewashing is being inclusive. It’s quite literally the opposite. But done the other way round and it’s pandering apparently. 

1 hour ago, RedHoodPug said:

I wouldn’t say that whitewashing is being inclusive. It’s quite literally the opposite. But done the other way round and it’s pandering apparently. 

I don’t recall saying that. If they made Kingsley Shacklebolt white it would be just as annoying for the same reason. It’s dumb. It just is.

7 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I don’t recall saying that. If they made Kingsley Shacklebolt white it would be just as annoying for the same reason. It’s dumb. It just is.

Can you please just... recognize that many of the people who express similar sentiments to you do so just to cover up their racism, accept that that fact makes people uncomfortable with how vehement you’re being about it, and drop the subject so we can go back to discussing Lego? :sceptic:

Just now, Accio Lego said:

Can you please just... recognize that many of the people who express similar sentiments to you do so just to cover up their racism, accept that that fact makes people uncomfortable with how vehement you’re being about it, and drop the subject so we can go back to discussing Lego? :sceptic:

You should see what people say about the witcher if you think this is bad.  Anyway I hope the sets keep coming with the quality they have been and that the centaurs look good.  

Enough of this talk now (including completely irrelevant talk about Cursed Child). Back to LEGO, and specifically the Harry Potter LEGO that we have reason to believe is being released.

Thanks.

14 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

You should see what people say about the witcher if you think this is bad.  Anyway I hope the sets keep coming with the quality they have been and that the centaurs look good.  

Yeah, with so many fan depictions of what centaurs could look like it will be interesting to see if Lego can do the concept justice. I’m also looking forward to getting Hermione’s otter patronus. 

The only thing I’m really disappointed about from what we currently know of this year’s sets is the distinct lack of Order members, which is why I’m really hoping that the bigger August set is a OotP set that includes Tonks and Kingsley. 

Just now, Accio Lego said:

Yeah, with so many fan depictions of what centaurs could look like it will be interesting to see if Lego can do the concept justice. I’m also looking forward to getting Hermione’s otter patronus. 

The only thing I’m really disappointed about from what we currently know of this year’s sets is the distinct lack of Order members, which is why I’m really hoping that the bigger August set is a OotP set that includes Tonks and Kingsley. 

I forgot about the patronus.  I really like the way they have paid attention to the details with this theme and are bringing us something new refreshing each wave this time around even if they aren't perfect they are all really good sets so far.  

9 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

Except she's specified as white in the prisoner of askaban when they're trying to move buckbeak before his execution. Its says "Hermione's white face"

Edited by DNSNVN01
Sorry I didn't see that this was already mentioned above

3 hours ago, zoth33 said:

I forgot about the patronus.  I really like the way they have paid attention to the details with this theme and are bringing us something new refreshing each wave this time around even if they aren't perfect they are all really good sets so far.  

Yeah, it’s really fun to see some of the more obscure details immortalized into Lego, like the alternate versions of the Mirror of Erised or the Mermaid stained glass from the Prefects’ Bathroom. Which makes me think - could we see the birdcage and songbirds from the HBP movie in the Astronomy Tower set? The nesting circular cages would be hard to pull off at minifigure scale but it seems like exactly the sort of little detail that Lego has been trying to put into this theme’s sets. 

4 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

Agreed. So far, the lack of Order members (i.e. Tonks, Kingsley and OotP Sirius), OotP-style Death Eaters and members of the Weasley family is what bothers me the most.
In theory, they could deliver on all of these in the two unknown sets if one was based on the Battle of the Department of Mysteries and the other was the Burrows. Possible, but not all that likely, unfortunately. :sadnew:

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

Agreed. So far, the lack of Order members (i.e. Tonks, Kingsley and OotP Sirius), OotP-style Death Eaters and members of the Weasley family is what bothers me the most.
In theory, they could deliver on all of these in the two unknown sets if one was based on the Battle of the Department of Mysteries and the other was the Burrows. Possible, but not all that likely, unfortunately. :sadnew:

I think it’s unlikely we’ll see the Burrow this year simply because it needs a large set, and I suspect the August sets will be a large OotP set and a small HBP set to offset the large HBP and small OotP sets in the June/July wave. 

As far as Weasleys go, there are rumors the twins are going to be in the Privet Drive set, and I can’t remember if Ginny was on the reported list for the Astronomy Tower but I’m certain she’ll show up there. That just leaves Molly, Arthur, Bill and Percy (and technically Charlie) the first three of which will almost certainly make it into DH sets. 

But when it comes to Order members and Death Eaters we can only cross our fingers and hope for the August sets. I’m personally holding on to the fact that Lego has been pretty good about giving us fan favorites that were passed over in the 2001-11 run of the theme (Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw representation, Cedric, Fleur, etc.) and Kingsley and Tonks are an obvious extension of that trend. 

4 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

Which makes me think - could we see the birdcage and songbirds from the HBP movie in the Astronomy Tower set? The nesting circular cages would be hard to pull off at minifigure scale but it seems like exactly the sort of little detail that Lego has been trying to put into this theme’s sets. 

It would be cool to have it in the AT but given it's shape and the probable size of the tower itself I don't see how they could pull it off

3 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

As far as Weasleys go, there are rumors the twins are going to be in the Privet Drive set, and I can’t remember if Ginny was on the reported list for the Astronomy Tower but I’m certain she’ll show up there. That just leaves Molly, Arthur, Bill and Percy (and technically Charlie) the first three of which will almost certainly make it into DH sets. 

Ginny isn't in any of the june sets and the rumor (just one) about the twins coming in the PD set should be taken with a grain of salt

4 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Ginny isn't in any of the june sets and the rumor (just one) about the twins coming in the PD set should be taken with a grain of salt

Yeah, and we didn’t hear about Cedric being in the Clocktower set until much later last year. The sets shown behind the curtain at toy fair are still in development and subject to change, and from what I’ve heard the minifigures are represented by stand ins - hence the confusion among leakers on whether Privet Drive comes with Ron and Dobby or Fred and George. It’s just an educated guess that Ginny will show up in the AT, but it seems pretty obvious to me based off the other characters - Lavender and Slughorn means the set is HBP based, and Draco’s presence indicates the Room of Hidden Things, which is both an important part of the movie and a place where a major scene between Ginny and Harry occurs. There’s simply no good reason the AT shouldn’t have Ginny in it. 

8 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

Yeah, and we didn’t hear about Cedric being in the Clocktower set until much later last year. The sets shown behind the curtain at toy fair are still in development and subject to change, and from what I’ve heard the minifigures are represented by stand ins - hence the confusion among leakers on whether Privet Drive comes with Ron and Dobby or Fred and George. It’s just an educated guess that Ginny will show up in the AT, but it seems pretty obvious to me based off the other characters - Lavender and Slughorn means the set is HBP based, and Draco’s presence indicates the Room of Hidden Things, which is both an important part of the movie and a place where a major scene between Ginny and Harry occurs. There’s simply no good reason the AT shouldn’t have Ginny in it. 

I agree wholeheartedly. Ginny should absolutely be included. Now that we aren’t getting a CMF this year I’m gonna be a lot pickier about minifig lineup in these sets. In a HBP  wave, there’s just no excuse not to include Ginny in at least one set

Is there any word on what will be replacing the WW series?

Nothing yet. All we know is that it’s licensed. It’s unlikely to be DC series 2 so early, and it’s debatable whether it’s possible that the Wizarding World Series 2 being pushed back might push up the release of a theoretical Disney series 3. Odds are it’s another license entirely new to the CMF theme, so we likely won’t know what it is for a while. 

18 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

Nothing yet. All we know is that it’s licensed. It’s unlikely to be DC series 2 so early, and it’s debatable whether it’s possible that the Wizarding World Series 2 being pushed back might push up the release of a theoretical Disney series 3. Odds are it’s another license entirely new to the CMF theme, so we likely won’t know what it is for a while. 

Fair enough, thanks. I do wonder how far along the concept got before this news came. Either it’s always been this way and it was wishful thinking from the start, or they pull a reserve design out of mothballs, or they change release orders round. I don’t know how long the drawing board to reveal timeframe is, but it must be galling if there is dramatic change to the schedule.

Sorry guys but to confirm the Harry Potter series 2 CMF is been pushed into next year?

I doubt it very much we get a DC CMF series 2 so soon,  a new theme? How concrete is that? 

Another question, out of all the sets been released we have 2 that will connect to Hogwarts and a small potential that one of the 2 sets released  later in the year may be a connected set as well? 

Thanks in advance! 

Fair enough, thanks. I do wonder how far along the concept got before this news came. Either it’s always been this way and it was wishful thinking from the start, or they pull a reserve design out of mothballs, or they change release orders round. I don’t know how long the drawing board to reveal timeframe is, but it must be galling if there is dramatic change to the schedule.

I personally suspect that a Wizarding World series 2 has probably been on the table since series 1 did so well right off the bat, but it was probably always planned to coincide with the next FB movie. From what I’ve heard, they start working on a CMF is around a year ahead of time, so the announcement of FB3 getting pushed back came with enough warning that Lego could change the release schedule without issue (it’s actually likely that Fall 2020 was never officially Wizarding World series 2).

The only reason that WW might have ended up being switched around with another planned series is that licenses aren’t something that you can obtain on a whim, so odds are that Lego was at the very least already in the process of obtaining the licensing rights for this IP (if not already in possession of them) when the FB3 delay was announced. 

1 hour ago, Lionbear8 said:

Sorry guys but to confirm the Harry Potter series 2 CMF is been pushed into next year?

I doubt it very much we get a DC CMF series 2 so soon,  a new theme? How concrete is that? 

The source on the news that WW series 2 isn’t coming this year and that it’s a different licensed CMF this fall is considered extremely reliable. 

And as far as the possible license goes - the only current IPs that are good for sequel series are DC, Disney and Wizarding World itself. Since WW is a confirmed no and DC is unlikely, the only real options are Disney 3 or a completely new (to the CMF theme at least) IP. 

36 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

I personally suspect that a Wizarding World series 2 has probably been on the table since series 1 did so well right off the bat, but it was probably always planned to coincide with the next FB movie. From what I’ve heard, they start working on a CMF is around a year ahead of time, so the announcement of FB3 getting pushed back came with enough warning that Lego could change the release schedule without issue (it’s actually likely that Fall 2020 was never officially Wizarding World series 2).

The only reason that WW might have ended up being switched around with another planned series is that licenses aren’t something that you can obtain on a whim, so odds are that Lego was at the very least already in the process of obtaining the licensing rights for this IP (if not already in possession of them) when the FB3 delay was announced. 

The source on the news that WW series 2 isn’t coming this year and that it’s a different licensed CMF this fall is considered extremely reliable. 

And as far as the possible license goes - the only current IPs that are good for sequel series are DC, Disney and Wizarding World itself. Since WW is a confirmed no and DC is unlikely, the only real options are Disney 3 or a completely new (to the CMF theme at least) IP. 

I feel like Disney 3 is almost as unlikely as DC considering series 2 just happened. A new license is probably the most likely scenario