Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Just now, BacktoBricks said:

I'm not saying the designers don't try with other themes, but I just get the feeling with Harry Potter that the designers are loving creating the sets as much as we are enjoying getting them. I hope the theme continues for a good while and stays feeling as fresh and high quality as it has done so far. :classic:

I'm sure it will stay for a while, Harry Potter is very much alive and I love it! I'd also say the minifigures are much more colorful than ever before and that's great!

1 hour ago, Huigberts Builds said:

It really is isn't it? I kinda feel bad for the fans of the other themes, they really don't get the same amount of detail, care and variety in the sets as we do. It really doesn't get much better than this. We really get everything, System Scale sets cmf series (unlike Marvel and Star Wars), advent calendars (unlike Marvel and DC), micro/nanoscale (or whatever the right name for it is) sets (unlike star wars and DC), 'statues' (unlike DC and Jurassic World?) Sets with almost only exclusive figures, many with full detail. Tons of new molds. Vehicles, locations, creatures, buildings with interiors in every single wave so far.

Boy do I love Lego Harry Potter, we really get what we're paying for, value for money or however the saying goes.

1 hour ago, BacktoBricks said:

I'm not saying the designers don't try with other themes, but I just get the feeling with Harry Potter that the designers are loving creating the sets as much as we are enjoying getting them. I hope the theme continues for a good while and stays feeling as fresh and high quality as it has done so far. :classic:

This ^.  100% this. 
There are only two themes over the last 10-15 years I don't have that stand out in my mind. Sponge Bob (which i personally despise the cartoon & have always hated) and Harry Potter.  I'm at 11 yrs collecting/hoarding/building/whatever you wanna call it.  When I started back into LEGO, there were a few themes I wanted that were retired (Avatar, NBA 2004, Pharaoh's Quest, Indiana Jones) and I back filled the ones I wanted; except Harry Potter.  Harry Potter was on its last wave when I REALLY started collecting (not just 1 or two sets here or there).  The cost of back filling so many waves just didn't seem worth it. I almost bit the bullet several times but never did.  Some characters looked OK, some looked... ummm less than ideal for me personally. 
Over this time period (2010-now), there have been some good legit sets.  LotR was good and fun (Bag End set is awesome), still love the mystery van from Scooby-do,  LOVED monster fighters, but that was all years ago. 
The last few years: marvel has def taken a quality hit in my personal opinion, DC isn't quite the same for marvel for me ( I blame xmen & spiderman cartoons vs Batman: The Animated Series of the 90's).  Star Wars?  Rinse and repeat, and every once in a while an awesome set comes through that I really love (mllenium falcon here and Slave I). 
I woulda said 1-2 years ago my personal favorite line was the Expert Creator with the roller-coaster, ferris wheel, modulars etc. with where things currently stood.

Now?  It's not even close. 
100% Harry Potter. Not only has exceeded my expectations, I also no longer have ANY desire to backfill with the older sets.  I'm  trust that LEGO will do a fantastic job because of one single reason: the designers/creators actually love what they're making.  It appears they've been given some decent rope and freedom to do it well, not half way. 
For that I applaud "the powers that be" who have done this reboot so well, and for that: "thank you". I'm still hoping we get another Q&A or even just some random insight from designers similar to how we learned about taking extra budget from Jurassic World.  Between CMF, advent, D2C & the regular waves, it has been done with quality, attention to detail, and a long term strategy to be profitable and successful. 

Edited by dvt
Clarification

19 minutes ago, dvt said:

100% Harry Potter. Not only has exceeded my expectations, I also no longer have ANY desire to backfill with the older sets.  I'm  trust that LEGO will do a fantastic job because of one single reason: the designers/creators actually love what they're making.  It appears they've been given some decent rope and freedom to do it well, not half way. 
For that I applaud "the powers that be" who have done this reboot so well, and for that: "thank you". I'm still hoping we get another Q&A or even just some random insight from designers similar to how we learned about taking extra budget from Jurassic World.  Between CMF, advent, D2C & the regular waves, it has been done with quality, attention to detail, and a long term strategy to be profitable and successful. 

^ Exactly. I did own some of the first few HP sets as a child and then sold them when money was needed. Not that I regret it now because whilst they were good for their time and still stand up pretty well, they had yellow face figures and they are now being outshone by these new sets for me. And I have no desire to go back and get any of the sets now, even those which I never got and have some highly desirable minifigures (Bellatrix, Molly, Arthur, Fred, George etc) because I have faith Lego will redo these figures and do them well. I have only bought the old Fluffy bigfig because I really wanted that as a child and I don't think Lego will redo that one for a while if at all.

My Lego collecting journey also restarted after a dark age about four years ago now and started with modulars and Star Wars and anything else that really caught my eye. I have now quit the modulars and even stepped back considerably on my Star Wars purchases. Two big factors in that are space and the ridiculous pricing of recent Star Wars sets, but the main factor is 100% these new HP sets. Growing up my passions were Star Wars and Harry Potter so you can imagine how excited I was to find the HP line was coming back, but the fact that they have has really quashed my deep passion for the Star Wars sets of late because they just outshine them. When you only have so much money to spend, something has to give and HP is now basically getting my full attention,

9 hours ago, Bugbot20082 said:

Changing the subject slightly...

Here is another one of my small complimentary builds: an addition to the Great Hall; the Headmasters Tower. 

It fits in replacement of two of the large slope bricks on one side of the big tower, everything else remains the same.

Building instructions:

Looks good. I personally put them a little higher up the tower, though my tower is also a bit larger than the actual set was. I'll post a picture of it below, it's not the best quality but it'll have to do:

Some things have changed since then though

On another note, can anyone help me out and tell me if the troll's cloth vest and loinclith from 4712 came in sealed carboard boxes likes the capes of today. Thanks in advance. :)

I agree wholeheartedly with the ones who say it’s better to have the most important sets distributed along the waves, otherwise the theme would die quickly. I wasn’t too fond of getting privet drive, but in the end it’s a relevant location to pretty much every movie.

I’m very very hyped about the sound of these sets, it sounds dreamy to say the least... plus TBH they all sound very relevant to me. Room of requirements with new patronuses? Astronomy tower? Graaawp? Pinch me already! Oh and CMFs. I’m even worried of being way too excited, I don’t want to spend my life waiting for lego releases haha, but I can’t help being more interested in what’s coming than in what we already have.

On another note, I’m not too happy about the late quality in many new face prints. I’m sure I have frequently talked about this, but damn I hope they fix it. Many of the new face prints are looking smudgy, opaque (specially the black color) and thicker than before. I loved having minifigures with super sharp and 100% black expression lines, I was always amazed at the perfection of the printing of such small details. Still, won’t stop me from buying lego. I hate being too picky :(

Edited by Otherworld

18 hours ago, LEGO Boy said:
Draco? It's hard to call him a Death Eater
Death Eater at the Graveyard? This costume appears only in the Goblet of Fire, then it will change
Macnair? He is dressed like an executioner, not a Death Eater
Crouch? This is Moody. It cannot be considered a separate minifigure
Snape? As a Death Eater, he wore a completely black robe with a cloak

Therefore, we can only consider Peter

Where are the others?

Bellatrix, Lucius, Fenrir, Karkaroff
And the Death Eater in his traditional costume

Draco in the Astronomy Tower is a Death Eater. Graveyard Death Eater...still a Death Eater regardless of garb. Macnair, again...still a Death Eater regardless of garb. That is both Crouch & Moody, therefore a Death Eater. Snape is the only one you have right, as he wasn’t an actual Death Eater during the times the sets are showcasing. 

18 hours ago, LEGO Boy said:

Most true fans are extremely unhappy about the lack of many important sets and characters

I am talking exclusively about those who bought absolutely everything and use sets not only as decoration on a shelf

I’m not sure how you gauge what a “true fan” is, but I’ll echo these others here, I’m extremely happy with what we’ve gotten up to this point. Finally see Hufflepuff & Ravenclaw realized. Got fantastic new beasts, Threstral & Hyppogriff. All of the minifigs have been outstanding & this next wave will be no different. The sets have been equally great, even the small forest set with Aragog. 

I don’t know what it is or why you came in here hot, but it’s definitely strange. I suppose you haven’t read much of this theme being talked about, because the general consensus is that is an all around hit. 

1 hour ago, Vindicare said:

Draco in the Astronomy Tower is a Death Eater. Graveyard Death Eater...still a Death Eater regardless of garb. Macnair, again...still a Death Eater regardless of garb. That is both Crouch & Moody, therefore a Death Eater. Snape is the only one you have right, as he wasn’t an actual Death Eater during the times the sets are showcasing.

That's funny. Just look at what these characters looked like in Death Eater costumes

Crouch with an iron leg. You are a clown. LOL

3 hours ago, Otherworld said:

I agree wholeheartedly with the ones who say it’s better to have the most important sets distributed along the waves, otherwise the theme would die quickly. I wasn’t too fond of getting privet drive, but in the end it’s a relevant location to pretty much every movie. 

But for some reason we could not get Privet Drive in 2018?

I'm not saying the sets are bad. But what is the point in them if the more important are absent!

43 minutes ago, LEGO Boy said:

I'm not saying the sets are bad. But what is the point in them if the more important are absent!

1. Not getting everything at once let's LEGO keep the theme around longer

2. Missing a certain location doesn't ruin the current lineup of sets

3. We already have plenty of sets with more to come

4. Not everyone here is a millionaire

5. We are not the target audience

1 hour ago, LEGO Boy said:

That's funny. Just look at what these characters looked like in Death Eater costumes

But for some reason we could not get Privet Drive in 2018?

You are a clown? What's that supposed to mean?

Can we just all report this guy, he's clearly bringing A LOT of negativity to this forum.

Just now, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Can we just all report this guy, he's clearly bringing A LOT of negativity to this forum.

Let's just ignore him

10 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

I have only bought the old Fluffy bigfig because I really wanted that as a child and I don't think Lego will redo that one for a while if at all.

I bought that not long ago myself. Lego may make it again, but I am sure it is brick built so I did not want to take any chances.. I have a few of the old sets included the basilisk, since I bought a collection of HP sets right after coming out of the dark age years ago. Other than that I just wait patiently for Lego to release everything better looking than the older sets :wink:

4 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

You can’t report him for giving his opinion

also I would rather they release sets they have never done before, like inferi instead of another privet drive

5 minutes ago, RandomSniper109 said:

You can’t report him for giving his opinion

also I would rather they release sets they have never done before, like inferi instead of another privet drive

But you can report someone for namecalling and continuously saying people should be ashamed of themselves. I mean, this is a forum. Obviously many people will have different opinions than you, that's completely fine but you should still respect them and their opinion

Edited by Guyon2002

1 hour ago, LEGO Boy said:

They look like they did in their minifig form....Although, Macnair(and others) looked just like the Graveyard one as well. 

Yes, Crouch with an iron leg...like the movie...when he was parading as Moody. Who has an iron leg. You have seen the movie right?

You can also ignore someone who posts borderline inflammatory remarks, and then he'll have no fuel for his fire. That road was almost going so well.

Don't argue with anyone who seems like a troll to you. It makes it worse for everyone. Thanks :thumbup:

47 minutes ago, RandomSniper109 said:

I would rather they release sets they have never done before, like inferi instead of another privet drive

Fair enough, but an Inferi Cave set is unlikely to be as large a set as Privet Drive will be, so it's unlikely Privet Drive took its place. 

It's been 18 years since the last Privet Drive set, so it's not as if Lego is repeating a recent set or figs. At least two have never appeared in Lego before, a further one only in yellow. The house itself in 2002 wasn't a great set to look at, so far the HP theme has been brilliant looking. 

9 hours ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Yes it did. You can see the box here in the bags:

https://images.app.goo.gl/eFTbJRDS4aDzsTin6

Thank you so much. I couldn't find a decent unboxing video or picture. :)

2 hours ago, Roebuck said:

I bought that not long ago myself. Lego may make it again, but I am sure it is brick built so I did not want to take any chances.

That was my thinking.

On a different subject, how do you all display the sets? I have mine on shelves, but they are only long enough to display the current three castle sections so the Astronomy Tower is going to have to go on the shelf above. Not how it's meant to be obviously, but I'm sure a lot of us don't have surfaces with the depth and breadth to accommodate an ever expanding castle. Hopefully it will look good on it's own as the Great Hall or Clocktower would.

15 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

On a different subject, how do you all display the sets? 

This is how I‘m displaying them:

49025662037_eb20a7501a_z.jpg

Since there‘s no way for me to physically connect the Hogwarts sets, I just display them next to one another :purrr: The picture is a bit outdated in that the Knight Bus already had to resettled next to the Hogwarts Express in order to make space for the upcoming Astronomy Tower :classic:

Edited by Lego-Freak

Really hoping we do get the 2 additional connections to Hogwarts, and they continue to give us  more wonderful sections!

Question for the hardcore fans, set number 4867, where does that follow in Hogwarts? Specifically the bridge between the 2 towers!

Thanks in advance!

The new sets sound great. Privet drive is one of the ones I remember having as a kid so really happy to see that back. I wonder if it does include the car, and how different would it be from 2018?

totally called it with the astronomy tower, I do hope they give us the west wing at some point though. Loving that we’re getting the room of requirement too, that should be a fun set. also gworp and the centaurs is a great idea

I do wonder what the rumoured D2C is, I do hope it’s Diagon Alley, and that the minifigure series will come with some characters to populate it

My personal preference would be for Hogsmeade as a D2C - I feel like the pertinent locations could all be covered in a set around the size of the 2011 Diagon Alley set - but for Diagon Alley to be spread across three or four regular sets that connect à la the Hogwarts modules.

That was my thinking.

On a different subject, how do you all display the sets? I have mine on shelves, but they are only long enough to display the current three castle sections so the Astronomy Tower is going to have to go on the shelf above. Not how it's meant to be obviously, but I'm sure a lot of us don't have surfaces with the depth and breadth to accommodate an ever expanding castle. Hopefully it will look good on it's own as the Great Hall or Clocktower would.

I built custom shelves for the new sets, with the length and depth that I wanted. Works really well, but after this next wave I may have to make more 

3 hours ago, Roebuck said:

I bought that not long ago myself. Lego may make it again, but I am sure it is brick built so I did not want to take any chances.. I have a few of the old sets included the basilisk, since I bought a collection of HP sets right after coming out of the dark age years ago. Other than that I just wait patiently for Lego to release everything better looking than the older sets :wink:

My dark ages ended about the time Lego Harry Potter ended. I wanted to catch up on so many themes (especially the new super heroes ones) that I only picked up the freeing dobby set. But around 2016/2017 I got really into HP again. So I was just waiting on some good deal on the old sets when the rumors of 2018 HP came along. I decided on buying a few characters just in case, including Sprout to finish up the house heads and the troll because I always wanted to get him. Still must have Fluffy too somewhere from my childhood, although I don't know where. But for the most part I'm patient for Lego to give us new stuff.

Yeah is pretty hard finding a decent unboxing video on a 20 year old set. Either people buy a sealed box but don't show the building process, or show the building process but without having a sealed box.

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

This is how I‘m displaying them: *snap*

I'm so jealous right now. That's exactly what I want but display cabinets are so expensive and everytime I save up the money it somehow gets lost to some Danish bricks. :innocent:

45 minutes ago, Lionbear8 said:

Question for the hardcore fans, set number 4867, where does that follow in Hogwarts? Specifically the bridge between the 2 towers!

The old sets were almost never really based on a specific Hogwarts section. 4867 isn't either, just looks like a castle section. Closest thing it resembles is probably the viaduct entrance or belltowers, but that's already stretching it. It also borrows a few elements from the astronomy tower in it's left tower. The bridge is most likely a combination of the viaduct (considering it's location and appearance) and the Wooden Bridge (considering it's play feature being based on the scene with Neville (who's also included) blowing up the bridge)