Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Hadn’t the Lepin rats gotten their HQ savaged some time ago by the police? Anyway, such a shame that they’re the reason why leaks are over, it was pure magic. And personally, it doesn’t make me want to avoid getting the ones currently being sold to save up, quite the contrary, the hype makes me want to buy the ones I’m missing, but anyway...

I hope this year’s characters don’t reuse face prints from other themes. And I certainly hope for another version of McGonagall (either this year or the next), because like Hagrid, she was always portrayed in the same outfit and abandoned, like wham there’s your character, NEXT. So considering how they’re really showing love for variants, my hopes are up.

Do you guys think that given the love for this theme, we’ll get superior quality/higher budget this year? (not that it was bad before!!)

Characters I’m excited about are Lockhart, variant of Sirius, Bellatrix and Tonks.

Edited by Otherworld

44 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I don’t think it would be a waste at all. We already have Azkaban Sirius

Ah, I see I misunderstood you there. I thought you were suggesting having both Azkaban Bellatrix and Sirius in the CMF, so Sirius without the cloak/robes he wears over his prisonsuit in PoA. My bad!

Just now, Otherworld said:

Hadn’t the Lepin rats gotten their HQ savaged some time ago by the police? Anyway, such a shame that they’re the reason why leaks are over, it was pure magic. And personally, it doesn’t make me want to avoid getting the ones currently being sold to save up, quite the contrary, the hype makes me want to buy the ones I’m missing, but anyway...

I hope this year’s characters don’t reuse face prints from other themes. And I certainly hope for another version of McGonagall (either this year or the next), because like Hagrid, she was always portrayed in the same outfit and abandoned, like wham there’s your character, NEXT. 

Do you guys think that given the love for this theme, we’ll get superior quality/higher budget this year? (not that it was bad before!!)

Characters I’m excited about are Lockhart, variant of Sirius, Bellatrix and Tonks.

Lepin isn't out of business yet and they have already started a new knockoff brand called Nuagao so they can continue stealing sets. The leaks are in no way over, lego just doesn't show us much at the TF's as they used to.

The sets for this year will without a doubt reuse faceprints from other themes, that happens with pretty much every theme. As long as the reused faces are inaccurate I won't complain and knowing lego they'll give those who desperately need a unique print a new one (Krum wasn't that bad imo)

Idk about the budget. In 2018 lego gave HP a very high budget because it needed to have a big comeback (and it leeched off of some of Jurassic World's budget). Last year the budget definetely decreased a bit, though not much, which most likely happened because lego wasn't sure how the first wave would sell. Now knowing both waves sold very well I hope the budget is as high as it was in 2018, though we really don't know 

1 hour ago, Otherworld said:

Yeah I agree, leaks usually help me manage my money better so I could save up for the sets I want and buy more in the end. However, since it's only a minority of Lego buyers who go all the way out to search for leaks I don't think that really balances out the negative effects of leaks at all.

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

Idk about the budget. In 2018 lego gave HP a very high budget because it needed to have a big comeback (and it leeched off of some of Jurassic World's budget). Last year the budget definetely decreased a bit, though not much, which most likely happened because lego wasn't sure how the first wave would sell. Now knowing both waves sold very well I hope the budget is as high as it was in 2018, though we really don't know 

I think the last minute advent calendar of last year is a good indicator of the faith Lego has in this theme. I just hope Lego isn't that kind of company that's like: "It will sell anyway so we don't have to put any effort in it."

4 hours ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Yeah I agree, leaks usually help me manage my money better so I could save up for the sets I want and buy more in the end. However, since it's only a minority of Lego buyers who go all the way out to search for leaks I don't think that really balances out the negative effects of leaks at all.

I think the last minute advent calendar of last year is a good indicator of the faith Lego has in this theme. I just hope Lego isn't that kind of company that's like: "It will sell anyway so we don't have to put any effort in it." 

Could not agree more. Especially not knowing if there will be a minifig with unprinted dark brown medium legs or if it stays exclusive to one character in the stranger things set annoys me... And the fact that face and torso have no market value doesn´t help either. There is noone selling the legs separately out there because of that. I need at least 8 of them for my Middle Earth Dwarfs (Gosh, i hope the custom printing will work out like i planned...). It makes quite a difference when i have to buy 8 times the whole figure for about 15€ each after the set retired or to be able to buy a bunch of them for a few bucks when they are included in a CMF...

That´s something i am afraid of, too. In my opinion lego proved several times that they tend to act that way... like with ridiculous amounts of stickers in the 350€-Ghostbusters HQ 100% targeted towards adults, while claiming that stickers are only used just because children them so much... On the other hand: If they are too greedy to gives us printed legs it means better chances to get unprinted medium legs in different colours :drool:

Edited by Gorilla94

On 1/25/2020 at 5:47 PM, RAMcGonagall said:

Actually Bellatrix could be included in a Malfoy's manor set, that would make sense, and other characters could be included like Narcissa, Lucius, Draco, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Griphook and Dobby

On 1/25/2020 at 6:28 PM, Guyon2002 said:

They're not going to. Knowing lego they will just make her in a normal set and include the same figure of her in many other future sets (most likely her old hairpiece, 2 expressions, torso and the skirt piece with a print on it)

Yes that was my point. I really hope they won't do her in CMF as there's so many possible sets you could add her to.  

2 minutes ago, Taidehaamu said:

Yes that was my point. I really hope they won't do her in CMF as there's so many possible sets you could add her to.  

That's regular Bellatrix. We were talking about Azkaban Bellatrix, who has little chance of appearing in a set.

1 hour ago, RAMcGonagall said:

Does anyone think we'll get a Grimmauld Place set next wave? The minifigures coming from that set would be fantastic!

While it's a pretty important location for the movies I think it's unlikely. I'd say it's another one of those sets we might get when they're filling in the gaps

2 hours ago, RAMcGonagall said:

Does anyone think we'll get a Grimmauld Place set next wave? The minifigures coming from that set would be fantastic!

The problem with Grimmauld place is that it isn't that interesting of a location in the movies. The only thing it has really going for it is the house appearing between the other houses, which will be difficult to pull off in a regular set, but without it it's really just a house with a wall covered in paintings. Ofcourse they could include some play features like ghost dumbledore jumping towards you or something but that's really about it. It's such a set where either they should go all out or otherwise shouldn't do it at all. And since there are still so many better options left to make as sets, as well as all of the characters at Grimmauld Place appearing in at least 1 more location (besides Kreacher), I don't think we will see it anytime soon.

2 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

The problem with Grimmauld place is that it isn't that interesting of a location in the movies. The only thing it has really going for it is the house appearing between the other houses, which will be difficult to pull off in a regular set, but without it it's really just a house with a wall covered in paintings. Ofcourse they could include some play features like ghost dumbledore jumping towards you or something but that's really about it. It's such a set where either they should go all out or otherwise shouldn't do it at all. And since there are still so many better options left to make as sets, as well as all of the characters at Grimmauld Place appearing in at least 1 more location (besides Kreacher), I don't think we will see it anytime soon.

So Kreacher is most likely going to come out in a CMF? He really is an important character to make.

4 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

I agree, Kreacher is the only character who couldn't really appear in any other set. Another reason why he's a perfect CMF character

Just now, RAMcGonagall said:

So Kreacher is most likely going to come out in a CMF? He really is an important character to make.

I guess so but Kreacher is sadly far from important in the movies. In the books he has a fairly prominent role (though he's a background character most of the time) but if they had completely cut him from the movies they wouldn't have been much different from what they are now

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

I agree, Kreacher is the only character who couldn't really appear in any other set. Another reason why he's a perfect CMF character

I guess so but Kreacher is sadly far from important in the movies. In the books he has a fairly prominent role (though he's a background character most of the time) but if they had completely cut him from the movies they wouldn't have been much different from what they are now

Dobby was also cut from most of the movies and he was made, and CMFs have given us less important characters like Dean Thomas or Cho Chang, he'd deserve Dobby's spot.

2 minutes ago, RAMcGonagall said:

Dobby was also cut from most of the movies and he was made, and CMFs have given us less important characters like Dean Thomas or Cho Chang, he'd deserve Dobby's spot.

Yeah but Dobby at least had some presence and weight to his appearances, Kreacher's movie version was just...... there.

But my comment on him not being that important wasn't targeted at your CMF suggestion but at your comment on him being an important character

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

Yeah but Dobby at least had some presence and weight to his appearances, Kreacher's movie version was just...... there.

But my comment on him not being that important wasn't targeted at your CMF suggestion but at your comment on him being an important character

Ok ok! Sorry!

3 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Uh... Kreacher was so important for delivering the essential backstory of the locket horocrux that JKR told the movie producers/writers that they had to include him in the OotP movie or they’d be shooting  themselves in the foot. This isn’t like GoF where they already had a backup way for Harry to get gillyweed built into the books, without Kreacher the plot is stuck. 

6 hours ago, RAMcGonagall said:

Apparently I’m in the minority for thinking there is a decent chance of us getting Grimmauld Place. Lego absolutely loves standalone buildings after all (after vehicles of course) - Lego would definitely rather design a Grimmauld Place set than a Ministry of Magic set, since one is a straightforward building and the other is a series of massive and mostly empty underground chambers with no canon exteriors and Lego has been trying to avoid exteriorless dioramas in this theme for a decade and a half. Grimmauld Place is a manageable design, an iconic location everyone will recognize and doesn’t require aesthetic sacrifices for its impossible physics. 

Just now, Accio Lego said:

Apparently I’m in the minority for thinking there is a decent chance of us getting Grimmauld Place. Lego absolutely loves standalone buildings after all (after vehicles of course) - Lego would definitely rather design a Grimmauld Place set than a Ministry of Magic set, since one is a straightforward building and the other is a series of massive and mostly empty underground chambers with no canon exteriors and Lego has been trying to avoid exteriorless dioramas in this theme for a decade and a half. Grimmauld Place is a manageable design, an iconic location everyone will recognize and doesn’t require aesthetic sacrifices for its impossible physics. 

The ministry of magic could easily be turned into a set by giving us the Fountain of Magical Brethren and a few fireplaces (similair to how lego tackled Snoke's throneroom on the Supremacy). That would represent the main part of the Ministry good enough and the Veil could always be done as a small standalone set.

Grimault place on the other hand is a fairly bland building and from the outside only distinguishable because of the neighbours the house itself hides in/behind (I still don't really know how GP works). Especially given the limited amount of sets I'd say we're definetely not getting Grimmault Place in the first year 5/6 wave.

I’m also not expecting a GP set any time soon, if Kreacher gets a CMF spot all the other figures are/will be likely available in other sets. Why not embrace the chance to MOC your own?

Malfoy Manor by contrast is more likely to get made: the exterior has a more interesting silhouette and it features an action scene with added potential for play features (falling chandelier, prison cell etc), and potential for more diverse/hard to find figures.

Edited by Bugbot20082

14 minutes ago, Bugbot20082 said:

Malfoy Manor by contrast is more likely to get made: the exterior has a more interesting silhouette and it features an action scene with added potential for play features (falling chandelier, prison cell etc), and potential for more diverse/hard to find figures.

Though that still wouldn't happen untill next year at the earliest :wink:

14 minutes ago, Bugbot20082 said:

I’m also not expecting a GP set any time soon, if Kreacher gets a CMF spot all the other figures are/will be likely available in other sets. Why not embrace the chance to MOC your own?

As long as they add Griphook in a Malfoy Manor set I'll be happy. The building could have three parts, with the dungeon they had to keep their prisoners being the one in the down, the middle one being where the battle happens and where Dobby tries to throw the chandelier on Bellatrix (Dobby could have a variant with his blue eyes of DHP1, and also using his red boots), and the last one being the room where the Death Eaters and Voldemort reunite before the battle of the 7 Potters.

3 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

The ministry of magic could easily be turned into a set by giving us the Fountain of Magical Brethren and a few fireplaces (similair to how lego tackled Snoke's throneroom on the Supremacy). That would represent the main part of the Ministry good enough and the Veil could always be done as a small standalone set.

Grimault place on the other hand is a fairly bland building and from the outside only distinguishable because of the neighbours the house itself hides in/behind (I still don't really know how GP works). Especially given the limited amount of sets I'd say we're definetely not getting Grimmault Place in the first year 5/6 wave.

Grimmauld Place‘a exteriors were shot in a real London that’s over two centuries old. It’s unique interiors would be a hit with Harry Potter fans and the classic city residence appearance of its exterior could draw in non Harry Potter fans. 

In contrast, I think you’d have a hard time finding a Harry Potter fan in the target age range for the sets who could immediately recall what the Fountain of Magical Brethren looked like in the movies without someone pointing at a screenshot of one of the split second intervals it’s visible in the background of a wide shot. It’s been cut so much from the movies that someone who hadn’t read the books wouldn’t even know what you were talking about if you mentioned it. None of the characters even acknowledge its existence. 

Also, the Ministry set you’re describing is small, Grimmauld Place is medium or large. There’s nothing really Grimmauld’s size from OotP for it to compete with, but there are plenty of potential smaller sets from OotP that Lego might potentially find easier to design and market than a ministry set. 

Also a reminder, the theme has being selling well enough to get an advent calendar last year and a second cmf this year - there are almost certainly more sets coming than just the four that we’ve already gotten leaked numbers for. 

On 1/25/2020 at 1:15 PM, Guyon2002 said:

Ah, I see I misunderstood you there. I thought you were suggesting having both Azkaban Bellatrix and Sirius in the CMF, so Sirius without the cloak/robes he wears over his prisonsuit in PoA. My bad!

Nah, it’s all good! Yeah I meant it would be nice paired with the Azkaban Sirius robes we already got to make some mass Azkaban inmates. Both pretty cheap ways to get them too. 

Mad far as Grimmauld Place, I think it would be phenomenal but I will be very surprised if we see it this year. It would be a very pleasant surprise though! 

I’m quite excited for the (theoretical) small Pixie figure; I would want to collect a dozen of them (!), same a the Nifler... I wish lego would use them both as common Wizarding World fauna; adding them randomly in large sets in all the odd corners where spiders and rats are normally hiding (like behind staircases)

I previously suggested an advent Callander build: a Nifler on a pile of treasure, another one I have thought of could be a pixie stealing a portrait of Lockhart (new printed tile)!

35 minutes ago, Bugbot20082 said:

I’m quite excited for the (theoretical) small Pixie figure; I would want to collect a dozen of them (!), same a the Nifler... I wish lego would use them both as common Wizarding World fauna; adding them randomly in large sets in all the odd corners where spiders and rats are normally hiding (like behind staircases)

The Pixie should be made as an accessory to Gilderoy Lockhart in the next CMF, he is a character a lot of people ask for (he could also come with a book from him, so he'd have 2 accesories).

3 hours ago, RAMcGonagall said:

The Pixie should be made as an accessory to Gilderoy Lockhart in the next CMF, he is a character a lot of people ask for (he could also come with a book from him, so he'd have 2 accesories).

Absolutely the new mould should be introduced in the CMF with Lockheart, but what I mean is Lego should not waste the new animal mould(s) by not using them again, and as magical creatures they only really are appropriate in the WW theme.

Granted lego often introduces new animals in the CMF and then uses them at least once elsewhere after (the new penguin, lobster, seagull, small bird, big snake, skunk etc), but a few seem to have been sadly forgotten after the first launch: Mouse with elephant costume girl (2018), and the cobra outside of in-store BAM towers.

Zusammengebaut have a live coverage of the toy fair, they say most sets are not allowed to take pictures of, but that they will report what they see at least.. In house themes are more likely to be present than licensed ones like HP, but maybe we are lucky this year :tongue: