Captain Nemo

Overwatch 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Recommended Posts

On 8/31/2020 at 4:57 PM, Azani said:

There is a veritable chance that 76978, 76979, and 76981 will simply be delayed á la LEGO Dots, but I know the folks who you are citing on IG, I know what they are sourcing their "rumors" from, and I am pretty certain, as much as I wish it were a bona fide fact, that these are simply rumors and that the three are not ever going to see the light of day.

In your view, what is the likelihood that LEGO would delay/cancel these sets, in order to release them (or others) with redesigned Minifigs sometime in 2021, after OW2 comes out? 
 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2020 at 5:00 PM, Classic_Spaceman said:

In your view, what is the likelihood that LEGO would delay/cancel these sets, in order to release them (or others) with redesigned Minifigs sometime in 2021, after OW2 comes out? 

Well, there's very little precedent to turn to, but DOTS was rescued from oblivion by TLG's upper echelons after a similar delay. That said, that was an entire new IP (original IP), and it was clear that there was significant brand and networking oomph behind the launch in 2020. It's tough to say if Overwatch still has that; as far as I can tell, it's been fading rather than ascending in popularity since 2019 or thereabouts, and TLG can't afford to be as "forgiving" with novel licensed IPs as they can with their own. With OW2 coming next year, I would say that the chances of a release for those three kits/sets are still worse than 50/50 (maybe 30/70 against?), but it's very much up in the air until we see what 2021 brings in terms of licenses/novel IPs. My judgement, but I'm not really a fan of OW over any games like it.

In addition, DOTS was an idiosyncratic case in that it was a massive new line from scratch with dozens of sets, not three... so LEGO may have felt that scrapping so many kits was a loss that they were not willing to accept. LEGO Star Wars has lost two to three kits that saw retailer solicitations like these half a dozen times since I started following it as an adult, and that's Star Wars, so that's something to consider.

In case anyone was curious, TLG sent out piece counts for the three, and I remember two of them right now; I will try to find the last one as soon as I can, but it's not a super high priority at the moment. Still curious.

76978 Orisa & Efi - 215 pieces

76981 Talon Jet - 763 pieces

Edited by Azani

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2020 at 4:46 PM, Azani said:

Well, there's very little precedent to turn to, but DOTS was rescued from oblivion by TLG's upper echelons after a similar delay. That said, that was an entire new IP (original IP), and it was clear that there was significant brand and networking oomph behind the launch in 2020. It's tough to say if Overwatch still has that; as far as I can tell, it's been fading rather than ascending in popularity since 2019 or thereabouts, and TLG can't afford to be as "forgiving" with novel licensed IPs as they can with their own. With OW2 coming next year, I would say that the chances of a release for those three kits/sets are still worse than 50/50 (maybe 30/70 against?), but it's very much up in the air until we see what 2021 brings in terms of licenses/novel IPs. My judgement, but I'm not really a fan of OW over any games like it.

In addition, DOTS was an idiosyncratic case in that it was a massive new line from scratch with dozens of sets, not three... so LEGO may have felt that scrapping so many kits was a loss that they were not willing to accept. LEGO Star Wars has lost two to three kits that saw retailer solicitations like these half a dozen times since I started following it as an adult, and that's Star Wars, so that's something to consider.

In case anyone was curious, TLG sent out piece counts for the three, and I remember two of them right now; I will try to find the last one as soon as I can, but it's not a super high priority at the moment. Still curious.

76978 Orisa & Efi - 215 pieces

76981 Talon Jet - 763 pieces

I am absolutely agreeing with you about this one that it is unlikely they are to be releasing the new Overwatch sets. It would be interesting if they would be making them into some sort of limited production but it is unlikely because as you are saying, the IP is expensive and I'm not knowing as many people who are as excited about Overwatch as before. One of my good friends who used to be competitive player was telling me many peoples including himself are not playing anymore. It would be very nice to see these sets one day though. I guess we will just be continuing to waiting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love and own all the Overwatch line, but have never played the game once. The builds are fantastic and Bastion has been on display since I got him but I think we'll not see more of these sets.

I'm not sure if i'm part of the problem having never played the game nor interested in doing so thus not creating any interest in the game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weirdly enough, despite not getting a single set in 2020, it seems like there will be a new Overwatch set in 2021 to coincide with the release of the Overwatch 2 game or something. The set is rumored to be a "Null Sector Giant" a set around 100$. I never played Overwatch, so I have no idea what that is, but maybe some Overwatch fans in this forum can tell us. 

It's super weird to get another set after not getting a single one in 2020, but with the release of a new Overwatch game I guess it makes sense. 

Edited by Lego David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the people to originally report on the leak linked to a retailer's website. I have no idea if it's legit, but it still might be something to check out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True, that is a good point, there is a pretty high chance that it was cancelled at some point, like the rest of the OW sets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huh, colour me surprised *oh2* I thought someone just tried to use the onslaught of information to sneak some nugget of fakeness in there (because I‘ve only seen a single copycat account sharing it on IG).

But I agree, this might have been cancelled already. Then again, the theme was apparently cancelled back in autumn of 2019, so why would a 2021 set show up in the retailer’s system now? :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Huh, colour me surprised *oh2* I thought someone just tried to use the onslaught of information to sneak some nugget of fakeness in there (because I‘ve only seen a single copycat account sharing it on IG).

But I agree, this might have been cancelled already. Then again, the theme was apparently cancelled back in autumn of 2019, so why would a 2021 set show up in the retailer’s system now? :wacko:

Yeah I agree with your last point. I think these sets are in some sort of limbo, being held back till around the release of overwatch 2. If they were definitely canceled they wouldn't be still on the website.

Due to the pandemic lego pushed back a lot of the sets that were connected to intellectual properties. And with the rumor that overwatch 2 was pushed backed the sets were likely pushed back as well.

And if the theme was canceled lego and or blizzard would have said so and made some sort of announcement.

So I don't think anything is or has been canceled. Some stuff might have just been pushed back.

 

Edited by NexoTarstan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, NexoTarstan said:

And if the theme was canceled lego and or blizzard would have said so and made some sort of announcement.

LEGO never makes any public announcements when it comes to a line getting cancelled, even if it's a licensed one. They just stop producing sets, and that's it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lego David said:

LEGO never makes any public announcements when it comes to a line getting cancelled, even if it's a licensed one. They just stop producing sets, and that's it. 

Take a look at what happened to LEGO Scooby-Doo after its only wave of sets. After that, all we got was two direct-to-DVD movies (Haunted Hollywood and Blowout Beach Bash).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A potential new Overwatch set that was long rumored may have just leaked, wonder if it's real and whether it'll have any minifigs

Regards,

Changbricks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Changbricks said:

A potential new Overwatch set that was long rumored may have just leaked, wonder if it's real and whether it'll have any minifigs

Regards,

Changbricks

The blurriness and red filter over the set (but not over the box) make me think that this is fake, though the artwork of OW2 Tracer and Mei looks like it could be real. Unfortunately, the blurred set number, the set name that is not long enough to be "Null Sector Titan", and the fact that the model looks roughly Photoshopped over the background, lead me to believe that this is fake. 😕
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

The blurriness and red filter over the set (but not over the box) make me think that this is fake, though the artwork of OW2 Tracer and Mei looks like it could be real. Unfortunately, the blurred set number, the set name that is not long enough to be "Null Sector Titan", and the fact that the model looks roughly Photoshopped over the background, lead me to believe that this is fake. 😕
 

As much as I'd love for this to be real, I think you're right. The image just looks off so it's probably fake. Though there is something about that Mei on the side of the box that seems genuine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Wonkyeye1 said:

As much as I'd love for this to be real, I think you're right. The image just looks off so it's probably fake. Though there is something about that Mei on the side of the box that seems genuine.

The Mei on the side of the box is what’s giving me hope. However I kept looking at it and I’ve realised it’s not Mei from overwatch 1 but rather it’s her new updated look in overwatch 2. This could back the theory that the sets were delayed to come out with the second game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, this looks super fake, but the image of Mei on the side seems original, and I'd at least like to know where they got it from if it is fake. If it's real, then hopefully this isn't just a really early old image of a canceled set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grabdatgem said:

The Mei on the side of the box is what’s giving me hope. However I kept looking at it and I’ve realised it’s not Mei from overwatch 1 but rather it’s her new updated look in overwatch 2. This could back the theory that the sets were delayed to come out with the second game. 

Tracer appears to have her OW2 design on the side of the box, as well (darker orange legs, no straps on the legs, no white on the goggles). Comparison
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The New Overwatch set on the Legoleaks tag seems fake. But the side of the box has 2 character renders which seem super convincing and very difficult to fake. It might actually be real

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Brick Cucumber said:

The New Overwatch set on the Legoleaks tag seems fake. But the side of the box has 2 character renders which seem super convincing and very difficult to fake. It might actually be real

That’s also what’s confusing me. The front of the box looks incredibly fake, while Tracer and Mei could be real :wacko: A team effort by two fakers at different skill levels perhaps? :laugh:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

That’s also what’s confusing me. The front of the box looks incredibly fake, while Tracer and Mei could be real :wacko: A team effort by two fakers at different skill levels perhaps? :laugh:

There's a lot of 3-D Lego render programs. But I can't think of any that could make a result like that. And it would be far too much effort to just stick it on the side of the box. But it could be a photoshop of a previous render or some other promo art? Idk. I think it could be legit.

I wish we could get some imput from a reliable source like @Falconfan1414

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Brick Cucumber said:

There's a lot of 3-D Lego render programs. But I can't think of any that could make a result like that. And it would be far too much effort to just stick it on the side of the box. But it could be a photoshop of a previous render or some other promo art? Idk. I think it could be legit.

I wish we could get some imput from a reliable source like @Falconfan1414

Yeah same here. Maybe it's a early render of a canceled set, but it would be really nice if a leaker could weigh in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Changbricks said:

, wonder if it's real

Most likely, this is another fake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Samus Aran said:

Most likely, this is another fake.

I have to admit it does look fake but the artwork on the side of the box says otherwise. Why would anyone put that much effort into a fake. The artwork is a completely new character and a different version of an already existing one. Why not reuse characters that have actually been made? Also wasn’t overwatch 2 delayed. Perhaps these extra sets were meant to be released with the new game but as it got pushed back so did the sets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.