Captain Nemo

LEGO Videogame Tie-Ins - Rumors & Discussion

12 minutes ago, Mr No said:

Don't you say that, I lost someone very important to me thanks to a accident that involved an Amazon truck. There is proof of this happening, I say we move on. 

I’m not saying Amazon drivers don’t die, I was saying not every company is bad. I’m sorry for your loss.

7 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

I’m not saying Amazon drivers don’t die, I was saying not every company is bad. I’m sorry for your loss.

It was not an Amazon driver that died, my brother was a victim of because of one. It's ok. 

Lego must cancel Overwatch sets to increase sets production of Pride, Netflix and female minifigures for Star Wars and other multicultural changes that were not even in the movies.

Good job Lego, I also propose to cancel all City Police sets.

1 hour ago, PromocjaLego said:

Lego must cancel Overwatch sets to increase sets production of Pride, Netflix and female minifigures for Star Wars and other multicultural changes that were not even in the movies.

Good job Lego, I also propose to cancel all City Police sets.

Cry more.

The cancellation is made even more hilarious by them catering to, and throwing money at, China. They have no problem releasing CNY sets & MK(which I’m glad they do). So I guess human slaves & concentration camps, among their other human rights violations, are okay....but a few folks at a company do wrong & the whole theme is on the chopping block. Wow. 

Without discussing the morality (or lack thereof) of giant companies or anything of that nature, I just think it’s funny how cursed the Lego Overwatch theme is. They started the theme in 2019, where it seemingly didn’t do too well. (Though I thought that the sets and especially the minifigs were very well made, and that’s coming from someone who’s never even watched gameplay of Overwatch.) And then when Lego tries to bring the theme back to life with the new Gaming line in 2022, the sequel game that the sets were tied to ends up getting delayed and Lego themselves end up cancelling/delaying the set that’s already been revealed, and even showed up at some places, due to Blizzards’s trangressions. 

Edited by The Stud

Just a question, are the instructions for this set available from Lego customer service yet, I haven't been fully tracking the set release and am not sure how far it has got to release.

I am not a fan of Overwatch, and fully understand Lego's reasons for the postponement, but thought there were some clever construction techniques in the set, and was wondering if the instructions were available, if this set isn't ever released?

Edited by Stuartn

1 hour ago, Vindicare said:

The cancellation is made even more hilarious by them catering to, and throwing money at, China. They have no problem releasing CNY sets & MK(which I’m glad they do). So I guess human slaves & concentration camps, among their other human rights violations, are okay....but a few folks at a company do wrong & the whole theme is on the chopping block. Wow. 

I was going to write a snarky comment here, but I think that’ll undermine my point. Let’s start with this:

Lego has not officially partnered with the CCP, they are just releasing sets based off of Chinese celebrations. Lego, was, however, officially working with Blizzard. That’s the biggest thing—money would be going directly to Blizzard, while even though perhaps more money earned in China might benefit them a tiny bit in the long run, that’s just the nature of capitalism (and @Stuartn already sort of addressed that the US isn’t blameless either).

Secondly, there’s a huge difference between celebrating Chinese culture and supporting complete atrocities. If making sets off of a group of people means that you support every bad thing that group is doing, that means almost not a single country or group could be supported-period.

Another point would be that Chinese New Year is a multi thousand year tradition, and Journey to the West was written in what, the 1500s? These aren’t things that were invented by the modern Chinese, these are much older than the current form of China.

That being said, I’d also like to add :

megabluck the CCP

edit: okay the EB content blocker is still pretty funny

Edited by Brickroll

If, and only if, LEGO decides to cancel and discontinue the Overwatch theme for good, it’ll be for a good reason.

7 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Ah, textbook false equivalencies :tongue: Teaming up with a horrible company and releasing sets in a country with a horrible government are clearly not the same thing. How does releasing a product in a country mean that you automatically support their government? And why do all people that make this comparison always pick China? :wacko:

Besides, it’s not just “a few folks”. Activision don’t get sued over a few individuals’ actions, they get sued because the issue is structural and systematic, which is also why firing a couple of people won’t solve it.

Btw, even Sony and Microsoft are looking into severing ties with them. This should tell you how dire the situation is for them :grin:

6 hours ago, Brickroll said:

I was going to write a snarky comment here, but I think that’ll undermine my point. Let’s start with this:

Lego has not officially partnered with the CCP, they are just releasing sets based off of Chinese celebrations. Lego, was, however, officially working with Blizzard. That’s the biggest thing—money would be going directly to Blizzard, while even though perhaps more money earned in China might benefit them a tiny bit in the long run, that’s just the nature of capitalism (and @Stuartn already sort of addressed that the US isn’t blameless either).

Secondly, there’s a huge difference between celebrating Chinese culture and supporting complete atrocities. If making sets off of a group of people means that you support every bad thing that group is doing, that means almost not a single country or group could be supported-period.

Another point would be that Chinese New Year is a multi thousand year tradition, and Journey to the West was written in what, the 1500s? These aren’t things that were invented by the modern Chinese, these are much older than the current form of China.

That being said, I’d also like to add :

megabluck the CCP

edit: okay the EB content blocker is still pretty funny

Doing business in China doesn’t happen without the approval of their gov’t(and not in the free market country sense). Look at how Disney bends over for China(Force Awakens poster concerning Boyega, banning Shang-Chi). People want LEGO to stop partnering with Activision over what some of its employees did. But the human rights abuses happening in China isn’t on their radar? I’m not criticizing the traditions, people, or stories of China. Im criticizing the picking & choosing of outrage over abuses.  

3 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Ah, textbook false equivalencies :tongue: Teaming up with a horrible company and releasing sets in a country with a horrible government are clearly not the same thing. How does releasing a product in a country mean that you automatically support their government? And why do all people that make this comparison always pick China? :wacko:

Besides, it’s not just “a few folks”. Activision don’t get sued over a few individuals’ actions, they get sued because the issue is structural and systematic, which is also why firing a couple of people won’t solve it.

Btw, even Sony and Microsoft are looking into severing ties with them. This should tell you how dire the situation is for them :grin:

As I said above, teaming with China is different than teaming up with a company in America. 

So every employee who is or has worked there while this took place is to blame? Or is it just those involved? 

Gee, why would people pick China? It couldn’t be because of their noted human rights abuses? Camps where Uyghurs are being held? I have zero issue with sets being released there...just like I don’t have an issue with them releasing Overwatch sets.

4 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

As I said above, teaming with China is different than teaming up with a company in America. 

Still, who do you punish by not releasing your products there? The government or the people? Unless Xi Jinping happens to be an avid AFOL :tongue:

5 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

Gee, why would people pick China? It couldn’t be because of their noted human rights abuses? Camps where Uyghurs are being held?

Human rights being basically non-existent and concentration camps for minorities… Can’t think of a single huge powerful country this also applies to *cough* Russia *cough* USA *cough*

8 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

So every employee who is or has worked there while this took place is to blame? Or is it just those involved? 

The issue is structural, which means the company as a whole is to blame, including everyone that knew of it and let it happen. A few bad apples spoil the bunch, while in this case the bad apples were plentiful

17 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Unless Xi Jinping happens to be an avid AFOL :tongue:

How do you know he isn't? :laugh: Who do you think buys all the Monkie Kid sets? 

Edited by Mr No

7 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

If, and only if, LEGO decides to cancel and discontinue the Overwatch theme for good, it’ll be for a good reason.

The fact that Lego haven't cancelled the set, only delayed it when they have good enough reason is evidence enough to show that delay is only really due to the delay of the game. There's no point in releasing a piece of merchandise for a product that has an unknown release date, it's not in their financial interests.

We can talk about Sony and Microsoft saying that they're reviewing it, again they haven't actually done anything.

For Sony, Microsoft and Lego it makes good PR, yet no real action has actually been taken.

1 hour ago, TheMainBricker said:

The fact that Lego haven't cancelled the set, only delayed it when they have good enough reason is evidence enough to show that delay is only really due to the delay of the game. There's no point in releasing a piece of merchandise for a product that has an unknown release date, it's not in their financial interests.

We can talk about Sony and Microsoft saying that they're reviewing it, again they haven't actually done anything.

For Sony, Microsoft and Lego it makes good PR, yet no real action has actually been taken.

True, plus Brotherfromanotherbrick said it well, Lego would have to cancel Harry Potter too if they play the moral game and they won't. Also, this stuff seems to have been since July 2021, so why did they even get ahead with the theme? They should have cancelled it before the set was even revealed. I start to think the set will get released at some point, later on. 

13 minutes ago, Mr No said:

True, plus Brotherfromanotherbrick said it well, Lego would have to cancel Harry Potter too if they play the moral game and they won't. 

The difference is that JKR, abhorrent as her behaviour is, is not currently being sued by the state of California :tongue: Can you really blame anyone for trying to distance themselves from Activision? It’s liking having to share the stage with a drunk guy covered in feces, of course you try to distance yourself as much as possible to ward off the foul stench :head_back:

16 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The difference is that JKR, abhorrent as her behaviour is, is not currently being sued by the state of California :tongue: Can you really blame anyone for trying to distance themselves from Activision? It’s liking having to share the stage with a drunk guy covered in feces, of course you try to distance yourself as much as possible to ward off the foul stench :head_back:

Well, if he was my bff I wouldn't :tongue:

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

There is absolutely nothing abhorrent about JKR and her supposed behaviour.

She has expressed an opinion, that many have deliberately misinterpreted. The opinion is not illegal, and it is an opinion that when said by a man goes unnoticed. Many believe that the criticism of JKR is rooted in misogyny and having seen a number of responses I would have to agree.

But this thread is purely about Activism Blizzard, and not Godwin's Law 2.0 (whereby someone must raise the topic of JKR).

There is legal action against Acitivism Blizzard, so there is something tangible there. But so far the action from all companies is "we are reviewing it".

4 hours ago, TheMainBricker said:

There is absolutely nothing abhorrent about JKR and her supposed behaviour.

She has expressed an opinion, that many have deliberately misinterpreted. The opinion is not illegal, and it is an opinion that when said by a man goes unnoticed. Many believe that the criticism of JKR is rooted in misogyny and having seen a number of responses I would have to agree.

you are correct

This must be one of TLGs lowest moments in this regard

How many sets have been fully produced and then cancelled at the last moment recently?

4? 5? (including the GWP Christmas set)

50 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

This must be one of TLGs lowest moments in this regard

How many sets have been fully produced and then cancelled at the last moment recently?

4? 5? (including the GWP Christmas set)

I mean, most seem to just be delayed, but we’ll see.