Captain Nemo

LEGO Videogame Tie-Ins - Rumors & Discussion

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

…and the Uncharted rumour turns out to be fake :laugh_hard: Welp, at least the true king of adventure is still scheduled to ascend his throne this year

Welp, I learned a valuable lesson :def_shrug:

6 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Wow, that's a d#ck move. There is no excuse for this kind of stuff, no matter if it's for "science". This is just a loser that wants to promote his failing blog, SAD. Not funny. 

Huh, so we only know about the Horizon Zero Dawn set, for now. Dissapointing. 

Edited by Mr No

2 hours ago, Mr No said:

Wow, that's a d#ck move. There is no excuse for this kind of stuff, no matter if it's for "science". This is just a loser that wants to promote his failing blog, SAD. Not funny. 

Huh, so we only know about the Horizon Zero Dawn set, for now. Dissapointing. 

Bruh, why are you so mad. It's not that deep. No harm done.

19 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Eh, I am not mad anymore. Just dissapointed, I would have liked an Uncharted set and it could have opened a lot of possibilities for licenses targeted at older fans. 

Hardly comes as a surprise but I'm not sure I agree with Jay's reasoning behind the "experiment". It being easy to start a false rumor has already been proven a million times in the past (He Who Must Not Be Named anyone?) and his entire experiment becomes completely and utterly irrelevant as soon as he mentioned having to leverage his LAN credentials to build up trust. Though while the experiment itself was completely pointless I do approve of Jay calling a shameless trashy LEGO "news" site like BrickFanatics out on their sh*t :laugh_hard:

To be fair Brick Fanatics never used to post rumours on their site, but have recently started to do so. As a website that gets review sets from Lego, you would think that they'd only post rumours about sets and themes they know are likely to come out. I think Brick Fanatics has become a bit click-baity in just reporting any rumour that comes up on Instagram.

1 hour ago, lego_guyon02 said:

It being easy to start a false rumor has already been proven a million times in the past (He Who Must Not Be Named anyone?) 

Sure, but that was not the only goal. The other was to see how far a fabricated rumour could reach (and how diligent news websites would be in their research). It was picked up by all sorts of gaming websites, which was quite impressive I have to say. Not sure the same can be said for many other fake rumours, the nonsense our dear friend Sméagol spewed out for instance did not have much reach beyond IG and EB :wink:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

6 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Except for everyone who wanted an Uncharted set. Can’t really be mad when nobody else was backing up the rumor but that was definitely a dick move. 

I enjoyed it. It's a good reminder for all of us to keep our expectations in line and talk about actual information. These days, it feels like half of EB posts are just "oh check out the hashtag for such and such rumored piece counts" or whatever. I don't know if that's spread to all parts of AFOLs, but it seems so predominant here. There's more anticipation for "when will the leaks drop" that it feels like we care more about leaks than the actual sets anymore.

On that note, where's my D2C Back to the Future DeLorean? I was promised it online last year! :tongue:

Sorry to double post. It was just announced that Microsoft, parent company of Xbox, has purchased Activision-Blizzard for nearly $70 billion. This means that all associated IP, including Overwatch, will belong to Microsoft.

Interesting to see if this will affect Lego's decision on the upcoming Overwatch sets. I have to wonder if Lego knew about this change in ownership, leading to the temporary delay of the set being announced when it was.

1 minute ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

Sorry to double post. It was just announced that Microsoft, parent company of Xbox, has purchased Activision-Blizzard for nearly $70 billion. This means that all associated IP, including Overwatch, will belong to Microsoft.

Interesting to see if this will affect Lego's decision on the upcoming Overwatch sets. I have to wonder if Lego knew about this change in ownership, leading to the temporary delay of the set being announced when it was.

That's crazy, I wonder if this means the sets are only delayed because Blizzard has a new owner. 

1 minute ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

Would it be worthwhile to rename this thread for all gaming licenses at this point? 

This

3 minutes ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

Would it be worthwhile to rename this thread for all gaming licenses at this point? 

Several people have mentioned this in the last few weeks but the mods don't seem to have an interest in this thread I guess :def_shrug:

48 minutes ago, Mr No said:

That's crazy, I wonder if this means the sets are only delayed because Blizzard has a new owner. 

Definitely not. Why would a buyout cause a delay in licensed products? Nothing changed for TLG back when Disney bought Lucasfilm or when Microsoft purchased Mojang :classic:

A deal like this is probably one of the only ways to save ActiBlizz's reputation. Hopefully Microsoft ends up pushing out the people that need to be fired from ActiBlizz, including the CEO Kotick who was involved/let everything occur under his watch. As for Lego, I'm hoping the positive relationship with the Minecraft team, also owned by Microsoft, means that there's still a future for the Overwatch theme.

4 minutes ago, Retrow said:

A deal like this is probably one of the only ways to save ActiBlizz's reputation. Hopefully Microsoft ends up pushing out the people that need to be fired from ActiBlizz, including the CEO Kotick who was involved/let everything occur under his watch. As for Lego, I'm hoping the positive relationship with the Minecraft team, also owned by Microsoft, means that there's still a future for the Overwatch theme.

Apparently Kotick will stay until the deal is finished and then replaced. Of course, that could change, he could be out faster. 

I‘m still confused by the buyout *huh* Who on Earth pays 65 Billion $ (!) for a company that‘s in the middle of being sued to Mars and back? They could‘ve waited for a bit and buy them for the price of a half-eaten sandwich afterwards :laugh_hard:

So people going on about Microsoft reassessing their relationship thinking it meant about ditching Activision, when in fact it was about Microsoft buying the entire company, obviously this would force Sony to reassess the relationship.

As always never believe corporate PR about morality, always follow the money.

7 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I‘m still confused by the buyout *huh* Who on Earth pays 65 Billion $ (!) for a company that‘s in the middle of being sued to Mars and back? They could‘ve waited for a bit and buy them for the price of a half-eaten sandwich afterwards :laugh_hard:

They will just fire the bad apples, Kotick will get his cash and quit and everyone will be happy. Money talk. From what I read this buyout was going on behind the scenes for a long time and apparently...they got Activision cheaper (?). Xbox also needs more exclusives so I am not surprised. 

6 minutes ago, TheMainBricker said:

So people going on about Microsoft reassessing their relationship thinking it meant about ditching Activision, when in fact it was about Microsoft buying the entire company, obviously this would force Sony to reassess the relationship.

Yeah, that whole thing reads completely differently now :distressed:

I‘m still not convinced the delay of the set has anything to do with this though. Or does Microsoft suddenly need a big sticker with their logo applied to every box? Even on Minecraft sets, their trademark is rather subtle :tongue:

10 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I‘m still not convinced the delay of the set has anything to do with this though. Or does Microsoft suddenly need a big sticker with their logo applied to every box? Even on Minecraft sets, their trademark is rather subtle :tongue:

I think the delay has to do with this, this buyout has only been now announced to the people, but companies such as Lego most likely knew about this and they were announced in time, before us. The buyout, talks etc happened long ago, only now it is announced to the press. 

10 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The delay of the set was due to the delay of the game (and those statements about it being about the allegations look particularly hollow now as most of those people responsible will go).

Takeovers like this have an effect on release dates etc. So I don't think it is related to the packaging, just the release date of the game.