Captain Nemo

LEGO Videogame Tie-Ins - Rumors & Discussion

Welcome to the Videogames Tie-Ins discussion thread! 

This thread was originally dedicated to all Lego related Overwatch discussion throughout 2020--sets, rumors, thoughts, and general Lego Overwatch discussion. 

Enjoy! 

Now it is ongoing with the possibility of more Overwatch sets and one-off sets based on other games into the future.

2022:

76989 Tallneck from Horizon: Forbidden West | 1222 pieces | 80€ | Releasing May 2022

So.....do we have any idea at this point as to whether or not this theme lives on for 2020? It seemed like everyone figured it was canceled... :def_shrug:

On 1/3/2020 at 9:31 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

So.....do we have any idea at this point as to whether or not this theme lives on for 2020? It seemed like everyone figured it was canceled... :def_shrug:

I thought so as well but remember someone mentioned about just the names of the sets cancelled not the theme, so Overwatch 2020 is still under discussion.

Overwatch had a LEGO skin for Bastion back in September but very little news about the sets, at least nothing public afaik.

I know Overwatch 2 was announced, so the game/franchise isn't gone, maybe the LEGO sets delayed due to the OW2 seeming so far away.

OW2 might not even come in 2020.

Edited by TeriXeri

I'm getting kinda worried about Lego Overwatch its future. The sets are kinda warming the shelves with huge discounts and the theme wasn't at the toy fair.

The sets being pushed back to coincide with the release of the second game could be true so that the theme gets a little push. But things aren't looking so good either way.

I got the first set released  through blizzard and haven't got any since! 

Very hard  to find on discount in Oz! 

It's looking incredibly likely that Overwatch as a whole is dead merch wise. Hasbro's Ultimates aren't getting a second year of figures, and sadly, Lego seems to be done with the theme too. Which would suck since there's a lot of potential, even beyond the huge roster and locations.

If Lego Actually made overwatch stuff when the IP was at its height back in 2016/2017, the theme would’ve sold like hotcakes. But for some reason Lego made the theme when the IP wasn’t really popular anymore.

Brickset lists 5 OW sets for 2020. From 76978 till 76982. So, are you saying there is a chance these will be not released at all?

On 4/28/2020 at 7:43 PM, Anak said:

Brickset lists 5 OW sets for 2020. From 76978 till 76982. So, are you saying there is a chance these will be not released at all?

They‘ve been cancelled :sceptic:

5 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

They‘ve been cancelled :sceptic:

Thx. Cancelled or postponed?

Just now, Anak said:

Thx. Cancelled or postponed?

The way people have described it, the sets are outright cancelled, but the theme itself may not be dead yet :shrug_oh_well: That was last autumn though, we haven‘t heard anything since

I'm one of the (very late) latecomers to the Overwatch game on XBox, and I've grown to really enjoy playing!  Before getting familiar with the game, I sort of shrugged at these sets and moved on - but now! :laugh:  Now I want more!  Buying them while I can.

What puzzles me though - why not Buildable Figures?  Minifigs are okay, but they don't really do these Heroes justice, in my opinion.  All the different armor and weaponry detail struggles in Minifig scale.  Could you imagine a Pharah or Reaper buildable fig?!!  I think that was a missed opportunity.  Oh well. :hmpf_bad:   

12 hours ago, lowlead said:

I'm one of the (very late) latecomers to the Overwatch game on XBox, and I've grown to really enjoy playing!  Before getting familiar with the game, I sort of shrugged at these sets and moved on - but now! :laugh:  Now I want more!  Buying them while I can.

What puzzles me though - why not Buildable Figures?  Minifigs are okay, but they don't really do these Heroes justice, in my opinion.  All the different armor and weaponry detail struggles in Minifig scale.  Could you imagine a Pharah or Reaper buildable fig?!!  I think that was a missed opportunity.  Oh well. :hmpf_bad:   

Buildable Figs don't sell well just look at the star wars ones.  Lego I think said they won't be doing those type of figures anymore.  

There is a new rumor in IG:

3 new sets:

• 76978 Orisa & Efi
  • 76979 Battle for Rio
  • 76981 Talon Dropship

The source says these are comming in 2021.

These are the exact same three sets that were on the cancelled 2020 set list :tongue: I think someone stumbled upon that list and is now trying to pass it as their own „leak“ :laugh_hard:

However one thing to consider is all the sets are Overwatch 2 sets which got delayed as the game moved to 2021. However as Lego plans in advanced the sets were already made and moulds likely ordered, why not ship them in 2021 alongside the game. Distribution may be more limited but I know, even as someone who barely played the game, i'll be grabbing these. 

4 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

These are the exact same three sets that were on the cancelled 2020 set list :tongue: I think someone stumbled upon that list and is now trying to pass it as their own „leak“ :laugh_hard:

This rumor is shared by many trustable leakers in IG.  Also as I remember we did not have set names, only 6 numbers and there was no confirmation of cancel.

Edited by number42

4 minutes ago, number42 said:

This rumor is shared by many trustable leakers in IG.

Which all goes back to the same unreliable attention-grabby source :tongue: 

We did have names, the list they were part of was first posted more than a year ago:

The odd thing is the set numbers aren't the same as the ones from the leaked name list starting with 75 (which have since been reused for Harry Potter). But they are the same as the ones that Brickset used around April (basically the same, but starting with 76).

So I wonder this. If they get cancelled and reuse the numbers for Harry Potter, why add new set numbers to them in the first place? They are similar but not the same. And this was way before the possible attention grabber on Instagram ran with it.

So I assume the insta guy probably combined the two leaks. But that still doesn't explain the change in numbers. Am I missing something? Anyone knows what might have happened?

Really hoping these sets weren't cancelled. I just ordered the last two sets I needed to complete the theme so far, and there's so many characters that still aren't represented.

On 8/27/2020 at 7:58 AM, number42 said:

This rumor is shared by many trustable leakers in IG.  Also as I remember we did not have set names, only 6 numbers and there was no confirmation of cancel.

I can assure you that "many reputable leakers" are pretty certain that 76978-76981 are canceled. They were initially planned for a 2HY 2020 release, and after plenty of retailers received solicitations for the three kits in question, the stream of info dried up and mine of the usual signs that they would be arriving on the market soon have materialized.

There is a veritable chance that 76978, 76979, and 76981 will simply be delayed á la LEGO Dots, but I know the folks who you are citing on IG, I know what they are sourcing their "rumors" from, and I am pretty certain, as much as I wish it were a bona fide fact, that these are simply rumors and that the three are not ever going to see the light of day.