Sign in to follow this  
Capt Wolf

[ESL-FB] Cookie's* place

*The "Cookie" in this story is no relation to Captain Cookie of @Captain Braunsfeld fame. My apologies for any confusion.

--------------

The sailors and soldiers in Captain Janszen's expedition to the New Haven Sea had now spent weeks on Maldria as they built up Eslandola's initial settlement on the island. Up until now their building efforts had focused on foundational needs: fortifications, followed by a brick kiln, a blacksmith's forge, and a sawmill. It was time to establish some basic facilities for the men who were working here every day. And so, rather than assemble by open campfires or return to the ship galleys for meals, Janszen order the construction of a mess hall.

front.jpg

Built from locally produced bricks and freshly cut timber, it was more refined than the previous open-air or log structures erected so far. The men quickly took pride in the new facility.

Fish and fowl were plentiful on the island, providing far better meals than when they were at sea. When several barrels of grog were also moved from the ships to the mess hall, the men were soon treating it as a tavern, assembling there whenever they weren't working or sleeping.

interior2.jpg

Various ship cooks took turns manning the cooking fires, but one known as "Cookie" was the men's favorite, and soon the mess hall was referred to as "Cookie's Place".

angle.jpg

The men loved Cookie, but Cookie wouldn't take any guff. When one soldier complained loudly to his sergeant that there was a funny smell to the food one day, Cookie threatened him with his cleaver!

cook.jpg

As it turns out, perhaps it wasn't the food that was the problem.

smell.jpg

---------------

This build was based on a simple drawing of a colonial structure I came across in a book, and it seemed like it could serve the purpose of a mess hall for the troops. All C&C welcome.

Dark red and tan walls, a brown roof, and green shutters?  Sounds awful.  Somehow, it works!  Simple but definitely not boring layout, the brick facade around the door in the middle gives the building a great shape.  I also really like the sideways tiles!

I was significantly confused by the interior however.  Those profile bricks threw me off at first and then the fact that it ends much sooner than the rest of the house.  I smell a different build! :pir-grin:   Way to go the extra mile.

A nice build, and the multi-coloured roof looks quite good, and I like also the tiles used as timber.

Nice tavern. Once again the dark red looks really good, and the small interior build brings the whole thing to life. Next they need to build some chairs to sit on while they dine. :pir-wink:

Cookie looks like he's aiming that cleaver, as if he's about to throw it.

Wonderful build! It looks like, indeed, something you can find in the illustrations of a book! The structure is not too complex, but the several details you included and the effective color scheme make it look very lively. The story is very nice too, the settlement seems to be quickly "starting to live".

My only doubt is about trees… Even if I don't know exactly what to suggest, I always have serious problems building trees. However, they add a nice touch of landscaping too.

Edited by Keymonus

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 4:56 AM, Kai NRG said:

Dark red and tan walls, a brown roof, and green shutters?  Sounds awful.  Somehow, it works!  Simple but definitely not boring layout, the brick facade around the door in the middle gives the building a great shape.  I also really like the sideways tiles!

I was significantly confused by the interior however.  Those profile bricks threw me off at first and then the fact that it ends much sooner than the rest of the house.  I smell a different build! :pir-grin:   Way to go the extra mile.

Thanks. And I shared your concern about the color combination when I was building it, but it somehow worked.

And yes, the interior is a separate build. I needed to expand it just a bit, and the interior details wouldn't have worked, as you noted with the differing techniques for the wall.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 8:17 AM, Bodi said:

A nice build, and the multi-coloured roof looks quite good, and I like also the tiles used as timber.

Thank you! I spent a bit of time planning out that roof.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 8:25 AM, Captain Dee said:

Nice tavern. Once again the dark red looks really good, and the small interior build brings the whole thing to life. Next they need to build some chairs to sit on while they dine. :pir-wink:

Cookie looks like he's aiming that cleaver, as if he's about to throw it.

Thanks. I actually had a couple of benches to begin with, but they just complicated the figure posing, so I removed them.

As for Cookie and his cleaver, I think "the mad cook" may have to return in a future build.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 9:56 AM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Nice place!  (... except for that one special animal..)

(And good, that there is no confusion with "Captain Cookie" :pir-laugh:)

All the best to you for 2020!

Thanks, and best to you for 2020 as well!

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 11:02 AM, Keymonus said:

Wonderful build! It looks like, indeed, something you can find in the illustrations of a book! The structure is not too complex, but the several details you included and the effective color scheme make it look very lively. The story is very nice too, the settlement seems to be quickly "starting to live".

My only doubt is about trees… Even if I don't know exactly what to suggest, I always have serious problems building trees. However, they add a nice touch of landscaping too.

Thanks. I've been trying to have the settlement build up in a logical fashion.

I struggle with trees, too. Because this settlement is set near lakes and streams, I've tried building birch trees with white bark and whispy-er branches. Still not where I want to be with them, but I think I'm figuring some things out.