Sign in to follow this  
Capt Wolf

[ESL-FB] Water-powered sawmill for Interlagos

Eslandola's settlement on Maldria was growing, especially with the new brickmaker's kiln. But the men were getting tired of cutting all the lumber by hand, so they dammed off a stream so they could build a waterwheel to power a sawmill.

01end.jpg

The undershot waterwheel powers a saw to cut logs into planks.

Some of the soldiers also discovered that the pond created by the small dam was a good fishing spot.

02front.jpg

The central part of the mill was built with field stones to support the waterwheel, but the storage shed was built of log construction.

With both bricks and sawn lumber, more construction would be possible for the settlement of Interlagos.

03angle.jpg

---

This build started out as an experiment with the roof joint, that failed miserably, as the above photo shows. The angle of the joint didn't neatly fit the angle of any wedge plates, and ultimately there's far too much of a gap, so selective photo angles were necessary. Also, only after I had started to disassemble the build did I realize it would have looked much better if I had tiled the upper part of the pond rather than using loose 1x1 round plates. Oh well, live and learn. Still, I was happy with the stone wall, and I got my first experience trying to build a small waterfall. Also, I didn't do an interior for this build. The roof supports didn't really allow for it, and I have done a sawmill interior before. I will try to get back to showing interiors on future builds.

All C&C welcome.

I like the layout of this sawmill, and the last pic really shows it well. The mill race and spillway arrangement is nice, although the waterwheel seems a bit small on such a large facade. Perhaps you could cover the gaps in the roof by placing a layer of narrow tiles on plates over top of the gap? 

Another great build for Interlagos! It immediately looks like as a small mill of a colonial settlement, even without any description. Nice use of different colours and of bricks for the wall, the resulting scheme is very effective!

Lovely mill Capt Wolf. I completely sympathise with the roof join issues! The building looks so much better with the more complex roof design but it's so hard to get the join right. In this case I actually think the you've done it well. You could perhaps run a line of 1x1 tiles down over the crack like on the top of the roof, yet I suspect this would detract from the clean lines. Another great mill from you!

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 8:29 AM, Bodi said:

Another nice build from you, Capt. Wolf. The roof really stands out.

Thanks!

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 11:06 AM, Keymonus said:

Another great build for Interlagos! It immediately looks like as a small mill of a colonial settlement, even without any description. Nice use of different colours and of bricks for the wall, the resulting scheme is very effective!

Thanks. I was happy with how the stone wall turned out, too.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 7:11 AM, Fraunces said:

Looks great! Love the style you have. 

Thank you!

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 8:40 AM, Captain Dee said:

I like the layout of this sawmill, and the last pic really shows it well. The mill race and spillway arrangement is nice, although the waterwheel seems a bit small on such a large facade. Perhaps you could cover the gaps in the roof by placing a layer of narrow tiles on plates over top of the gap? 

Thanks. I think the waterwheel looking small was a case of the wall getting taller than I originally planned as a means of addressing a roof issue.

21 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Lovely mill Capt Wolf. I completely sympathise with the roof join issues! The building looks so much better with the more complex roof design but it's so hard to get the join right. In this case I actually think the you've done it well. You could perhaps run a line of 1x1 tiles down over the crack like on the top of the roof, yet I suspect this would detract from the clean lines. Another great mill from you!

Thanks to both of you for the comments regarding the roof. I will try this roof design again at some point in the future, and the feedback will be very helpful.