Mad Nomad

• Control+ controlled 4-wheel steering and rear wheel drive
  • 2 working guns operated from within the cabin under the hood
  • Fake V6 engine with working pistons and working valves

More images here.

I decided to share the 3D files of this model. Stud.io file and LDD-file. Note that the LDD-file has placeholders for the biscuit-pieces (sand blue) and has some displaced parts (sand green). It should be fairly obvious where these parts belong. The sand green 3L axle with end-stop at the bottom of the front axles is used to slightly lift the 20t gear above it with its end-stop.

Shortly before the apocalypse a fully electric concept vehicle was developed, which carried the name Rocky II. It was ready to be taken in production, but the apocalypse crossed out that ambition...

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

After the apocalypse, survivors found the remains of the Rocky II prototype. The batteries had turned useless because there were no charging points anymore, but an old 7.8L (478 cubic-inch) GMC V6 engine was installed to drive the vehicle and charge the batteries at the same time. Mad Nomad saw its first daylight...

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Original post in the spoiler.

Spoiler

I'm not going to say much about where this is supposed to end. The only objective is speed on gravel. I will post updates in this thread.

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

47 minutes ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Now... This... is interesting. I presume that both axles pivot in order to have 4-wheel steering, or semblance of it? Or is the rear turntable just to provide suspension?

It will do something like this, so yes 4-wheel steering. Only the rear gets a torsion axle for straight line stability. I did something like this before, but this time it will be motorized.

Edited by Didumos69

Designed the front axles and a center column. On new year's day I will start building :classic:

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

Made my first test drive. Speed is okay and the wheels stay put. It has a bit trouble with most of the weight being behind the rear axles, which causes one of the front wheels to lift. I will add weight off course, but if this won't approve, I will need to move the battery / control unit to the center column. Something that sure needs improvement is the steering. It sometimes slips, which requires re-calibrating every now and then, not good. 

A little more background: The idea is to make something out of the ordinary, something speedy which is also a 42099 B model. To make it speedy I decided to skip the portal hubs and simply attach the wheels to the axles. To avoid the wheels from gradually sliding off their axles, they are locked up with arms along the outside of the wheels. To make these arms sit firmly, so they actually keep the wheels in place, I needed some kind of triangular structure. The 6.5L suspension springs where the perfect solution for that.

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

1 hour ago, Didumos69 said:

Made my first test drive. Speed is okay and the wheels stay put. It has a bit trouble with most of the weight being behind the rear axles, which causes one of the front wheels to lift.

I'd keep that, seems to be a good "solution" to smash some raiders in CQC: "Oh, poor fella, he got under the wheel... ooops, another one, too... so much for safe driving." :laugh:

Apparently i'm not the only one with the idee of building an alternate model of the 42099 for TC17 :classic:, but yours looks already much cooler than mine.  Are you planning to use the bright orange panels for this build? I'm not sure this collor will fit the theme of the competition. For that i'm experimenting with custom stickers right now.

btw: I would keep the wheel lift, looks damn cool :thumbup:.

On 1/2/2020 at 9:53 AM, johnnym said:

I'd keep that, seems to be a good "solution" to smash some raiders in CQC: "Oh, poor fella, he got under the wheel... ooops, another one, too... so much for safe driving." :laugh:

3 hours ago, Sleepy said:

Apparently i'm not the only one with the idee of building an alternate model of the 42099 for TC17 :classic:, but yours looks already much cooler than mine.  Are you planning to use the bright orange panels for this build? I'm not sure this collor will fit the theme of the competition. For that i'm experimenting with custom stickers right now.

btw: I would keep the wheel lift, looks damn cool :thumbup:.

Okay, I'll keep the wheel lift :wink:.

@Sleepy, okay, do you have a WIP topic already? I will be using the panels to give it more shape. And I've got some suspensions arms, differentials and CV-joints left to finish it.

Here is a video of the latest state. Steering and drive are now behaving as desired.

Edited by Didumos69

4 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

@Sleepy, okay, do you have a WIP topic already?

@Didumos69 , not yet.  I'm trying to build something a little bit presentable before starting a topic.  It's the first contest I'll try to enter, and i'm a little bit intimidated by all the entries in the previous contests :blush:.

17 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

How much of a body will weigh it down?

Don't know exactly what you mean. I don't have many parts left, it's a b model, so it won't get much heavier. The main structure is also very strong.

I added exhausts and did some work on the nose.

800x450.jpg

Time for an update. I moved the battery / control unit to the center, because I needed it to lock the center structure. The functional side is done now. This is what I have in mind for coachwork:

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

Thanks guys! @Philo, yes I will be making instructions.

This weekend I finished building what I designed. Some minor modifications, but the concept did not change much.

800x450.jpg

Itook it outside for a test drive and everything works fine. I'm content. I used 792 parts of the 958 parts, used all pins that come with the set.

Edited by Didumos69

Last change I did was to slightly lift the rear to make it lean forward a little.

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Made some outdoor photos of the final model:

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

Nice thing is that the gear ratios can be tweaked to one's needs, all without needing extra parts. In order of appearance: Road-buggy ratio, off-road ratio and crawler ratio

800x450.jpg

Btw, here is a render without the wheels, showing how the wheels are confined and a render showing the main structure. All angled elements are 'in system'.

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

I'm a bit on a cross road at this point. I think I will withdraw from the contest. When I look at all the other contestants I see many really messed-up builds with Mad Max-ish details, and this build obviously is not really messed-up. Well, maybe the concept is messed-up, but the details are not. And whenever I find myself adding Mad Max-ish details, I feel like, nehh. So the question is, is this build TC17 worthy as it is now, or not. If not, I will withdraw and continue as a normal MOC, because it just doesn't feel right to mess it up any further. Please let me know what you're thinking.

45 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

I'm a bit on a cross road at this point. I think I will withdraw from the contest. When I look at all the other contestants I see many really messed-up builds with Mad Max-ish details, and this build obviously is not really messed-up. Well, maybe the concept is messed-up, but the details are not. And whenever I find myself adding Mad Max-ish details, I feel like, nehh. So the question is, is this build TC17 worthy as it is now, or not. If not, I will withdraw and continue as a normal MOC, because it just doesn't feel right to mess it up any further. Please let me know what you're thinking.

I absolutely get your point. The build is awesome (as usual), but it's not entirely in the spirit of the contest. Feels more like a C-model contest entry. 

Btw: I will not deny participation since it doesn't violate any rules.

I like it and think you should keep it as an entry. I think some are more detailed than others with lots of System add ons but some are still highly Technic