It would help to make it look less like the crawler. Make it entirely black for instance. 

8 hours ago, Jim said:

I absolutely get your point. The build is awesome (as usual), but it's not entirely in the spirit of the contest. Feels more like a C-model contest entry. 

Btw: I will not deny participation since it doesn't violate any rules.

7 hours ago, Seasider said:

I like it and think you should keep it as an entry. I think some are more detailed than others with lots of System add ons but some are still highly Technic 

7 hours ago, Jim said:

It would help to make it look less like the crawler. Make it entirely black for instance. 

Thanks @Jim! It helps to see confirmed this is not entirely in the spirit of the contest. Your suggestion on changing the color to black got me thinking and I feel stupid that I didn't think of this before (due to the self-imposed rule that this should be a B-model). If it's okay with you, I would like to split this project into two tracks from this point on:

• Rocky II, my second 42099 B model, in fact this build in its current state
  • Mad Nomad, my entry for TC17, a further development of this build

As a starter, I changed the colors to make it feel rusty:

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

This is definitely more like it! :thumbup:

I'm okay with splitting the project from this point.

I added a V8 in the back. I will add exhaust later, but apart from mad finery, I also try to focus on crazy technics. For the drivetrain I used U-joints that follow a 3-4-5 triangle, which allows the axles between the U-joints to be supported properly. Also the gear mesh that connects the engine to the rest of the drivetrain is based on a Pythagorean triple. I've built these constructions in real life and they all run very smooth:

800x450.jpg

This it what it looks like now. Modding the front will be the next stage.

Edited by Didumos69

I really like look of this vehicle. The wheel supports that are on the outer side of the rim give it very special look, and their backward lean gives the whole vehicle really agressive look. Keep it up! 

It's perfect with this color palette! I like it a lot. Looking forward to "mad finery" :pir_laugh2:

Thanks guys!

I updated the nose. There was some space under the hood for 2 extra seats :wink:. Actually I intentionally wanted the hood to repeat the roof to get some repetition.

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

Over the weekend I moved the cabin one stud forward to shorten the hood a little and to make space for a bigger engine. It allowed me to install my own W16 fake engine and make it very exposed. I also added long arrows in the back and rifles to be operated by the front passengers.

Edited by Didumos69

On 1/27/2020 at 3:09 PM, aol000xw said:

Those seats under the hood and the arrows/spears are truly Mad Max.

And the color suits it nicely. Love it :thumbup:

Thanks! Good to know I'm on the right track.

I managed to lower the engine by 1 stud and changed the headlights.

Edited by Didumos69

Ive always criticized TLG for brown elements.  Even moreso when these brown elements are used for cylinders.  But.... your submission and the whole contest is making me eat my words!  This looks great!

Wow, amazing! I love the color combinations, nobody else on the forum uses parts in rare colors like these, and it’s great to see them! I am a little confused of the seats under the hood, they don’t really feel like they fit the scale right.

Edited by TechnicRCRacer

I really like how this build ended up going through the full process of how a Mad-Max-esque post-apocalyptic vehicle would be created. It started as a properly engineered, clean B-model of 42099, and then got retrofitted with all the Mad Max "survive in style" features like that huge exposed engine, guns and spears. So I'd say you've now got the spirit of the contest exactly right:thumbup:

Edited by imvanya

9 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Ive always criticized TLG for brown elements.  Even moreso when these brown elements are used for cylinders.  But.... your submission and the whole contest is making me eat my words!  This looks great!

Same for me. I didn't like the defender color at all, but now I'm very happy with it. I reckoned a custom engine would allow me to make it look more rusty too.

9 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Wow, amazing! I love the color combinations, nobody else on the forum uses parts in rare colors like these, and it’s great to see them! I am a little confused of the seats under the hood, they don’t really feel like they fit the scale right.

Thanks! Actually the seats under the hood have the exact same measurements as the seats in the cabin, which are in turn the same as in the 42099 A model. But you're right, they seem quite small, or actually, the vehicle itself is ridiculously big :wink:.

4 hours ago, imvanya said:

I really how this build ended up going through the full process of how a Mad-Max-esque post-apocalyptic vehicle would be created. It started as a properly engineered, clean B-model of 42099, and then got retrofitted with all the Mad Max "survive in style" features like that huge exposed engine, guns and spears. So I'd say you've now got the spirit of the context exactly right:thumbup:

Thanks! This was exactly what came to my mind too. This also explains why an old-school fueled engine had to be installed; the electro-motors and batteries have become useless after the apocalypse.

Edited by Didumos69

Here are two x-rays of the skeleton, one with and one without the front and rear axles.

960x540.jpg960x540.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

I tried the W16, but was not content with how smooth it ran. I don't want it to compromise the vehicle's speed, so I installed a V10 instead, but with an odd addition, something that is supposed to resemble valves...

I nominate this fake valve system for "MOC - Innovation of the year" award! :thumbup: :sweet:

On 2/2/2020 at 5:47 PM, agrof said:

I nominate this fake valve system for "MOC - Innovation of the year" award! :thumbup: :sweet:

That's too much praise, but thanks nevertheless!

Now that I have these fake valves, I thought I might go for a more detailed V6 instead of a boring V10...

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

I appreciate using restraint on the cylinder r count. The valves are great, as is the plumbing. A detailed V-6 is better than a plain V-10 any day.

Edited by Thirdwigg
Typo

That's one hot looking V6

4 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

I thought I might go for a more detailed V6 instead of a boring V10...

800x450.jpg

15 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

I appreciate using restraint on the calendar count. The valves are great, as is the plumbing. A detailed V-6 is better than a plain V-10 any day.

14 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Yes....but is it the proper powerplant to drive this beast?? That would be one heck of a V6....

It is actually a revised old ship engine...

Edited by Didumos69

I turned sick on sunday and have been feeling a bit shaky the last few days. I managed to finish things today, but the video is a bit shaky too and I did not have the chance to make outdoor footage (the weather was terrible anyway :wink:).

Functions:

• Control+ controlled 4-wheel steering and rear wheel drive
  • 2 working guns operated from within the cabin under the hood
  • Fake V6 engine with working pistons and working valves

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69