RoxYourBlox

[MOC] Apple Square Research Center

Apple Square Research Center is a 4-story 96x96 modular building conceived as a revision to my original Apple Square University. Designed entirely in Lego Digital Designer (Stud.io needs an update before I could adapt), this iteration is also influenced by a locale in a Japanese RPG (サクラ大戦3), the Antwerpen-Centraal Station in Belgium, as well as my ongoing career as an electrophysiologist. ASRC and ASU will be on display together at the next Brickworld Chicago (June 20-21, 2020).

49280187621_76fc4b9f91_o.jpg

49280187386_2e2d054036_o.jpg

49280187301_38d986b4ec_o.jpg

For more, follow me on flickr or instagram.

Is it weird that I hate you because of your amazing skill? :tongue:

I have no words...your builds are simply fantastic. I have no idea how you manage these things. I’m in awe. 

On 12/29/2019 at 11:48 PM, Vindicare said:

Is it weird that I hate you because of your amazing skill? :tongue:

I have no words...your builds are simply fantastic. I have no idea how you manage these things. I’m in awe. 

Thank you!  In terms of how it’s done, I think I start off with a goal / focal point to the build (i.e., weirdly shaped domed building from a video game), next try to match that to scale (i.e., a 96x96 open lot in my city) and to the angles and lengths that the trigonometry will allow (i.e., angular floor plan), and finally partition off long stretches of exterior wall into windows and columns in multiples of phi. From there, I start small with window sills and expand back out, copying elements into patterns like tesselations while trying to add variations to the previous pattern with each additional floor.

On 12/30/2019 at 3:05 AM, peedeejay said:

Great to see you back at buildings. :)

Your style is absolute unique and the building is very impressive again!

Thanks, although sometimes it feels like a curse—I feel trapped from being able to branch out, especially when trying to do MOCs that look more random!

@paupadros @LEGO Train 12 Volts Thank you!

On 4/27/2020 at 2:50 PM, Sean Bancroft said:

It looks so incredibly detailed. I think it would be cool if you would write how you usually create plans for your projects for those who also want to do something large-scale. You can refer to https://papersowl.com/write-my-assignment and they will be able to help you. I once had to write my assignment about one of my designs for one resource, and it turned out that describing the process is also very interesting. This gives inspiration.

I've looked into doing something like this as an hour-plus demo at Brickworld Virtual. While it won't happen for June 27 (and there are plenty of other great presentations there, by the way), it remains a possibility for the December show.

On 6/18/2020 at 12:53 PM, Lollyy said:

Wow! It`s amazing!

Thanks!