1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Great

49239708021_c7ff8139a5_c.jpg

Introduction

We've seen a lot of different shapes and configurations for the Tie's wings. This time the designers decided to use triangles... While I'm not very convinved by a shape so simple, let's see how it looks in Lego.

Set information

Set Name: Sith Tie Fighter

Set Number: 75272

Number of Pieces: 470

Theme: Star Wars

Year Release: 01/2020

Prices: £64.99 / $79.99 / €69.99 (Euro prices may vary)

#75272 on Brickset

#75272 on Rebrickable

Open up a galaxy of adventures for youngsters with this super-sleek LEGO® brick model (75272) of the Sith TIE Fighter from Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker! It has a minifigure cockpit so kids can pretend to be a First Order TIE fighter pilot firing the spring-loaded shooters. There's also a docking tower to recreate launch and landing… or to display this striking building toy. First Order vs. Resistance battles! A great gift idea for kids, this building kit also includes 3 minifigures – First Order TIE Pilot, Knight of Ren and Finn – with cool weapons to inspire children to role-play their own First Order vs. Resistance battles. And you can add 75273 Poe Dameron's X-wing Fighter™ for yet more exciting play possibilities. Lots of love for LEGO Star Wars™ sets! The LEGO Group has been recreating iconic starships, vehicles, locations and characters from the Star Wars universe for more than two decades and LEGO Star Wars has become a hugely successful theme. Everyone loves it!

•  
  • Let kids fly First Order pilot missions with this buildable Sith TIE fighter model (75272) featuring a slick, new-for-January-2020 design, just like in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker!
  • The TIE fighter features an opening minifigure cockpit and 2 spring-loaded missiles. There's also a docking tower for launch, landing and to display the construction model, plus 3 minifigures for role-play action.
  • The First Order TIE Pilot, Knight of Ren and Finn minifigures have cool weapons, and this set combines brilliantly with Poe Dameron's X-wing Fighter (75273) for epic First Order vs. Resistance battles.
  • This 470-piece set with iconic Star Wars™ characters offers a fun and rewarding building challenge for boys and girls aged 9+, and makes a super gift for kids on birthdays, at Christmas or as a special treat.
  • The Star Wars™ TIE fighter build measures over 8” (21cm) high, 9” (24cm) long and 8” (22cm) wide so it makes a striking construction model to display in any room when not being flown on First Order missions!
  • No batteries are needed with this fun TIE fighter building toy playset – it’s constructed purely from LEGO® bricks and powered by kids’ creativity for unlimited Star Wars™ action adventures.
  • Thinking of buying this Star Wars™ building toy for someone new to LEGO® sets? No problem. It comes with easy-to-follow, printed building instructions. Open the box and away they go!
  • LEGO® Star Wars™ collectible construction toys are great for kids (and adult fans) to build and display, recreate favorite scenes from the saga and create unique stories with iconic Star Wars characters.
  • No need to use the Force to connect or pull apart LEGO® bricks! They meet the highest industry standards to ensure consistency and a perfect, easy connection.
  • LEGO® bricks and pieces are heated, crushed, dropped, twisted and analyzed to ensure that every building set meets the highest safety standards here on earth (and in galaxies far, far away!).

Packaging

The front of the box shows the usual Star Wars theme for the movies related sets, with angry Kylo Ren in the upper right corner. As usual on the bottom right corner are the 3 minifigs included in the set: Finn, a First Order Tie Pilot and  a Knight of Ren.

49239910432_31d1831990_c.jpg

The back of the box shows the set's play features, which are only two: using the spring-loaded shooters and landing the Tie on its docking tower...

49239692726_96a368aa8b_c.jpg

Content of the box

The box contains 3 numbered bags and a letter sized booklet. There is no stickers on this set which at first seemed a bit odd for a set of this size.

Sadly, In my haste to build it, I totally forgot to take pictures of the sealed bags.

Minifigures

The set contains 3 minifigures: Finn, a First Order Tie Pilot and a Knight of Ren exclusive to this set while Finn outfit can be seen in set 75257: Millennium Falcon. Finn is quite plain, with a civilian outfit. He has a double-sided head with a smiling face, and an alternate screaming face... or is it his standard face? Maybe... The Tie Pilot is lovely, even if already seen in set 75101: First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter. His helmet is particulary well done, with the tubing going to the torso. The Knight of Ren outfit is nice, completed with a new helmet. Fun fact: it seems that the Knight main weapon is printed on his torso and legs while it is included in the set in Lego form.

49239215708_75ecc485e6_c.jpg

49239910532_18b0216e38_c.jpg

Build

The build is pretty easy. The hull and arms of the ship are reinforced by using long plates and brackets. The connection to the wings is quite sturdy, even if they can be detatched with no difficulty. With the first bag, we'll build the 3 minifigs, the ship's hull and the "docking tower" to land the Tie onto.

49239693181_12ac83dfca_c.jpg

Bags #2 and #3 will both give us one of the wings, which are almost identical, only the position of the spring-loaded launchers differs. Obviously I couldn't make any interesting picture after bag 2 since the Tie was completely out of balance.

I'm not very fond of the model. It has some very nice features like the red linings on the wings, the new cockpit's window, and the grey portions at the ends of each wings, but even those kinda lack of details. I also find the model unbalanced, with the rear end of the wings being at the same level as the back of the Tie's spherical cockpit... From the side you can even see the Tie's engine at the rear of the "sphere". The docking tower is also not that easy to use, especially for children. It may need some reinforcements if you want it to stay in position. I'm also puzzled by the use of one of the Ninjago 2x1x2/3 slopes with printed  control panels, while a Star Wars's one is also present in this set.

49239215833_f4a72b950f_c.jpg

49239692971_5acf452659_c.jpg

There are a few spare parts... 3 or 4 I think, not worth a picture... But we get some nice parts like the printed cockpit parts, and of course the new wedge plates in both red and black. And there are quite a number of them!

49239692836_19e005bdfa_c.jpg

Play features

There are not much to do with the set except swooshing it while making weapon sounds! Of course the cockpit opens and you can (barely) fit the pilot inside. As said previously, the docking tower is rather fragile and not that easy to use, but it is needed if you don't want your Tie to lie on it's wings lower ends.

Conclusion

Design: 6/10 - I'm not enthousiastic with the wings' shape, I think it could have been more detailed, and the docking tower could use more stability.

Parts: 8/10 - The part selection is good, with all those new wedge plates!

Build: 7/10 - The building of the Tie's hull is nice but the wings are quite repetitives.

Playability: 5/10 - The Tie swooches nicely, but landing on the docking tower may be risky for the pilot.

Minifigs: 7/10 - The minifigs are nice and well detailed, but with a minus point for Finn.

Price: 7/10 - With high ppp of 0,149€ and 3 minifigs, this set seems well priced for a Star Wars set.

Overall: 40/60 (67%) - I'm not fond of the shape of that Tie Fighter, but that's of course only my opinion. Otherwise the sets contains nice minifigs and a good amount of nice parts.

To be honest I find the model utterly hideous looking, certainly not one for my shopping list, but enjoyed your review and certainly appreciate its introduction of more pointy triangular pieces.

Although not necessarily accurate to the movie version, how does it look with the normal TIE windscreen in red from the Force Awakens special forces TIE fighter?

Edited by Daddy_Stardust

Excellent review Bob as ever.

All the grey does not work for me and I can't get past it, especially on the inside of the wings.  I'm trying to like the ship but....perhaps once some of our excellent EB modders get to work something good may come out of it....

Thanks for the review. :classic:

The greatest flaw imo are the minifigs. Finn should not be there, and the pilot is uninspired and likely wrong considering the Sith military uniforms and armours feature the colour red to varying degrees. Also, of course, there should be four minifigs. I do not know why Lego thinks three is ok when previous, similar sets like Solo's Tie Fighter 75211.

The ship design itself is ok, but I think the concept was much better done by EC Henry (here and comparison here). However it should be easy enough to change. If the set is discounted massively I might do that.

Where on the back does it show the folding wings? And you say at the beginning it has 4 minifigs, none of which are in the set. Then you go on to say there are 3 minifigs in it.

1 hour ago, Daddy_Stardust said:

Although not necessarily accurate to the movie version, how does it look with the normal TIE windscreen in red from the Force Awakens special forces TIE fighter?

The standard windscreen looks much better, wether it be red or clear.

Original:

20191229_171317

75101 First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter front and back:

20191229_171401

20191229_171455

75211 Imperial TIE Fighter:

20191229_171519

1 hour ago, Rubblemaker said:

Where on the back does it show the folding wings? And you say at the beginning it has 4 minifigs, none of which are in the set. Then you go on to say there are 3 minifigs in it.

Copy/Paste and forgot to edit it.

2 hours ago, Rubblemaker said:

1 hour ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

Copy/Paste and forgot to edit it.

Yep, I completely forgot to edit that part... Thanks for pointing it out.

And thanks for trying the different windscreens. The classic one looks indeed the best.

Thanks for the review!

This set unfortunately does not float my boat at all. Don't like the the shape of the wings, the overall look with those colors or the massive amount of studs / anti-studs. With just 3 minifigs, one of which is a repeat there isn't really much here that interests me. But that's ok, luckily I'm not a collector who needs to have every set.

Thank you for the different windscreen photos... still think it's a revolting looking half-finished ship, but the red TIE windscreen at least makes it look a bit more respectable. The windscreen it comes with, screen-accurate-regardless, just makes me think of the rear window of the First Order SF TIE Fighter and just looks wrong.

With a red TIE windscreen and the whole body in black or dark bluish grey, with the central shaft of plates along the wings also in black, it could look quite decent... out of the box though, ugh, think it's hideous.

Edited by Daddy_Stardust