LegoDW

Alternate color selection for the passenger train 60197 and how many coaches are you running?

Broke down and getting my first PF 2.0 train set.  Purchased more for the PF 2.0 stuff then the actual train.  Was hoping there were some good modified sets out there I could use for inspiration. If anyone has any links would appreciate. 

After I build (Christmas present from wife) thinking of swapping out all the yellow bricks, going more dark blue and gray.  This will force a complete rebuild of the front of the engine.  Think i will add another passenger car also.  Going to keep a more modern build with this one I think.  

Edited by LegoDW
Added coaches discussion

Thank you for sharing this link.  I am wanting to do something similar.  Like how they added a second engine on the back, looks good.

I posted my MOD last year. Here is my version of 60167 using part of the buffet coach and a few spare bricks.I am still using the 9V system, so one end carriage has a 9V motor and the other (shown) has a brick built bogie using the original wheels and decorative sides. I extended the centre carriage to be 28 rather than 24 studs long (as the centre carriage(s) look too short in comparison to the ends).      

my_60197.jpg My 60197.JPG

Looking for opinions.  Before getting this set, I knew I didn't care for all that yellow.  After building it my opinion has not changed.  Big issue is the yellow and navy (dark blue) color scheme is that of my largest sport rival (Michigan Football, US).  I tried replacing the yellow on the roofs with white, tan and light blueish gray (with the navy accents) and didn't like it.  Also tried black and dark gray changing out the navy accents with white.  Didn't like it ether.  Issue with both is the coaches are basically gray with a white and navy accent line.  Swapping the yellow sections with navy might be an option just don't have the bricks in that color.  If going this route would have light gray accent pieces.  

Hoping someone has already swapped out the yellow to something that looks good.  Looking for opinions.  

Dav1d, that looks good.  With the battery out good use of extra seating.  Would be tempting to add a second middle carriage as extending the one you have really sets off the train.  See you deleted the two small dark blue circle tiles in the top accent line by the roof.  I'm probable going to do that too.

I have swapped out the dark blue with red on my computer (LDD) and it looks okay. This kinda looks like a Virgin company train from the UK, at least from what I've seen from pictures.... never been there.

49290264631_595c727d78_z.jpg

NOTE: Missing the nose pieces, as they are not in LDD, but it's still 100% build able in real bricks. (I also switched the seats to reddish brown, as they were originally red, and it was too much red on the model for my tastes, just so you know @LegoDW.)

Murdoch17 I like it.  What does it look like if you start from the original colors, swap the yellow with the dark blue and the dark blue tiles on the roof to light gray.  That is what I was going to try.

34 minutes ago, LegoDW said:

Murdoch17 I like it.  What does it look like if you start from the original colors, swap the yellow with the dark blue and the dark blue tiles on the roof to light gray.  That is what I was going to try.

Well, considering the bright light orange roof pieces aren't available in dark blue, (as seen here on bricklink) as all the colors that have ever been available released are shown on the right column on the website linked. I can show you, but it wouldn't be build-able. I also would suggest white or a neutral color for the roof, it might be less jarring than that bright light orange (the original yellowish color), or something else of that nature. Maybe white (common), or light bluish gray (not too common)?

49295084791_ceccff3bef_z.jpg

What do you think?

One of my favorite sets 3181 has the white roof suggested. Leaning more toward the dark blue tile roof accents over the light gray.  

coach white roof.JPG

Edited by LegoDW
Need to delete on picture as over my limit

The limiting element for any modification of this train will be the nose of the engine. That part has *only* been released in Flame Yellowish Orange:

https://brickset.com/parts/design-37493

So unless you want to take a radical departure from the design, you can't lose the nose color from your scheme. All that said, are you really unable to disassociate a train's livery from a sportsball team?

I recommend "Mountain Police Blue". I love that shade of blue for Lego. It looks especially good on the passenger train and the bus from 60154. I have the latter and the one from set 60026. Recolored both of those into "Mountain Police Blue". 

Edited by pooda

28 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Could use the dark blue wing parts used in the Hidden Side Stuntplane as roof parts, 1 set comes with 8 of them , so covers a length of 32 studs.

I'd recommend "Mountain Police Blue" for the main color and  "Space White" for the stripes. That way it could give us some nods to this set. 

4560-1.png

Edited by pooda

The yellow bits are starting to grow on me!  I tried swapping some bricks around but really didn't find anything I liked better.  I plan on removing those two dark blue 1 by 1 circle tiles from the coaches thou.  Just doesn't look right to me.  Will swap out with normal tiles.

Rather the making a new post, added a bit to this one.  Curious how many coaches others are running.  As this passenger set came with two coaches vs two engines in the last one (white one) easier to make a longer train.  Getting a second set allows up to two engines and 4 coaches.  This seams like a lot to me and not sure my little layout can handle a train this long.  Have the following thoughts and questions (note I have not purchased a second set...just thinking about it at this time)

1) IMO this set does not display as nice as the last one (white one) with dual engines.  If I would get a second set thinking I would modify this second engine into a 5th coach.  

2) With a second set you get a second motor.  Don't believe you can sink up multiple battery boxes of PF 2.0 to a single controller.  This would force both motors to be installed in a manor to connect to a single battery box.  Thinking this is a good thing as in my experience Lego trains prefer to be pulled then pushed.  

3) Have seen a few mocs where the length of the coaches is extended.  With two sets feel 4 longer coaches would be possible (plus a few extra bricks).  For me the longer coaches don't run as well on my layout as have a lot of curves all the standard turning radius.  Anyone else having this issue

4) Looking at the price, $160 US for a second train, motor, battery box, controller, and some track seams like a good deal Lego wise (Lego is expensive but appears you get a lot here).  Does anyone else share this opinion?

If you use the app you can use two motors and reverse one but i don't know if you can use a controller in that case.