• Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

Set Number: 42102
Set Name: Mini CLAAS XERION
Pieces: 130
Price: $12.99 USD | 9,99 € | £8.99 | $15.99
Links: Lego.com | Bricklink | Brickset

Hello and welcome to my review of the Mini CLAAS Xerion, one of the more highly anticipated sets from the 1HY2020 Technic Sets. Following up on it's much larger brother, 42054, is this mini variation a worthy pickup? Read on to find out!

I will also mention that this set was generously provided by Lego to review; though the thoughts in this review are my own and do not reflect those of TLG, and I've never been one to hold back on criticizing a set when it's needed.

The Box

49206079556_1023a89f0b_c.jpg

49206294817_2b6274ef91_c.jpg

The box, as you would expect from a 130pc set, is quite small. There's a nice Image of the Xerion in a field at work, and a small logo to signify that this is licensed. In recent memory, I do not recall any small sets that were licensed, if at all. We can also see here that a B model is depicted, a very nice looking combine harvester, though the instructions are not yet available for that. I will add additional thoughts to this review with an overview of the B model when they are. The functions of the set are not depicted here.

The Build

Beginning

49206746612_c912269a23_c.jpg

Here is the beginning of the build, you can see the steering system being built. It's a simple system, turning the vertical axle will spin a system of three gears to move the wheels.

Building the front

49206045238_8ce8fbf0f7_c.jpg

49206745827_72b88ce965_c.jpg

49206043803_46ab0f9d0d_c.jpg

The next few steps showcase the shaping of the front. No functionality to be seen here, though I do like how effective this becomes at conveying the curves of the vehicle.

Rear Harvesting attachment

49206745592_708d4d31d9_c.jpg

49206746202_1cb58e1e9f_c.jpg

49206746212_a57d9e7a9a_c.jpg

Next, we build the rear attachment. This function is twofold; the rear axle rotates the center gear (which then rotates the larger gears), but you can see that this system is built in such a way that the attachment can be tilted up when the equipment is not in use. I will show this in more detail shortly. 

Finalized Model

Front

49206746427_512b0132e1_c.jpg

For the size, this set does a remarkable job of imitating the real-life model. It's not perfect; the cabin is too squat, the wheels are a bit too small, the shaping could be better around the front and back... but this is 130pcs, not the 1900+ of it's larger and much more accurate brother. Shaping is already much more challenging than traditional system, I think this was done very well here. I know many are adverse to stickers, but their inclusion here is very restrained; headlights and the fender logos. I do not find them distracting, and personally feel they elevate the authenticity of the model somewhat. 

Rear

49206049698_60657cbc50_c.jpg

As with many smaller sets, the functions do tend to break our reality a bit; the steering mechanism isn't very hidden, but of course it needs to be accessible.  This set is for 7+, afterall. 

Profile View

49206049593_ab71c8df88_c.jpg

As someone who does not collect Technic too often, one trend that really annoyed me with these sets is the 1/2m of axle that is usually sticking through the wheels. An easy fix, though. 

Top Down View

49206536901_fae0cb16a1_c.jpg

Functionality

Wheels

49206750312_5b80683cb7_w.jpg49206535311_fc416f79e9_w.jpg

The steering works as well as you'd expect. Twist the gear at the top of the cab, and the front wheels will turn to one side or the other. 

Raising/Lowering Attachment

49206535741_f996e213b8_c.jpg

49206749922_53372742ef_c.jpg

With a simple pull, the farming equipment can be raised or lowered. As stated previously, driving the truck forward will also spin the gears at the back, this function will work regardless of if the attachment is raised or lowered. See my video below-

Gear Functions Demonstration

Overall:

This set is a great value. At roughly 6-7% of the original cost and parts count of it's larger brother, this set still manages to do a lot. It's a good representation of the real-life model, it's sturdy, and it has some fun functions that, while simple, work well. I think there's also a lot to be said about the type of vehicle we have here- a large community around it's bigger brother focus on making new attachments and mods for the Xerion to use. There are countless possibilities for ways that you could create your own attachments for this set to use, and that just continues the value this set provides. 

I'll provide thoughts on the B model when I am able. But at $13, it's hard to go wrong with this set. It's a fun little build and won't set you back much. It does what it needs to do, and in my opinion, does it very well. 

Review is honest, but (IMHO) set is a bit dissappointment; no tractor (and to small) wheels and a bit too boxy design. Perhaps with soft axles it would look better...

Nice to see the return of the 2L beam in lime, and the 5L thin lift arm in red makes it's appearance in technic line. A nice little set!

You must have made some kind of building mistake, because if you compare your photos of the hood and windscreen with those on the box, you should notice clear differences. The hood should be sloped a bit and the windscreen much nearer to vertical. So that may explain your "weird proportions". It looks like everything stays in place by friction alone, so maybe you can just pull the hood forward and it all pops into the correct shape.

15 hours ago, M_longer said:

It has the same design flaw as 42084 had, which is almost zero ground cleareance:

Neither 42084 nor 42102 are off-roaders, though, so I don't think that matters much.

4 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

You must have made some kind of building mistake, because if you compare your photos of the hood and windscreen with those on the box, you should notice clear differences. The hood should be sloped a bit and the windscreen much nearer to vertical. So that may explain your "weird proportions". It looks like everything stays in place by friction alone, so maybe you can just pull the hood forward and it all pops into the correct shape.

I have just built this set myself and I am now fairly certain that something is off with your build. The 5x3 L components that form the bonnet should be sloped and this makes the 2x1 arm that connects to the cab perfectly horizontal which changes the geometry of the cab. Please take a look at your build and see if you have made a small mistake that is impacting your enjoyment of the model.

On 12/26/2019 at 8:35 PM, VBBN said:

In recent memory, I do not recall any small sets that were licensed, if at all. 

The 9390 tiny Unimog was a licensed set.

On 12/27/2019 at 3:56 PM, Celurius said:

I have just built this set myself and I am now fairly certain that something is off with your build. The 5x3 L components that form the bonnet should be sloped and this makes the 2x1 arm that connects to the cab perfectly horizontal which changes the geometry of the cab. Please take a look at your build and see if you have made a small mistake that is impacting your enjoyment of the model.

The strange thing is that most of the review I found on YouTube have been built in the wrong way *oh2* 

On 12/27/2019 at 5:39 AM, Erik Leppen said:

Yeah you are right, the build is correct, it’s just a matter of pushing down in the hood to achieve that shape. Definitely helps the look of the cabin. 

I love that small and fun set. Both A and B models are awesome and cute. This small set is also nice part donor too.
IMG_20200101_162618.jpg

This is a lovely little set! :wub:

On 1/2/2020 at 10:56 PM, Arne said:

I‘m really happy with the small claas ??

I like it too, just saw it on the shelf this afternoon. I'll wait for awhile since not many people here like tractors, it'll be on sale soon then I'll get some :D

A bit late, and sorry to bump this review, but we just bought this set second hand, and it occurred to us that this set contains a mistake. 

In the parts index it mentions 2 green L-shaped technic bricks (4140345) and 1 red L-shaped technic brick (4141270). But in the instructions it uses 3 greens and no red.