• Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

Set Number: 42101
Set Name: Buggy
Pieces: 117
Price: $12.99 USD | 9,99 € | £8.99 | $15.99
Links: Lego.com | Bricklink | Brickset

Hello everyone and welcome to my review of Buggy, the second $13 set in the 1HY 2020 range. When it comes to Technic, we've had a fair share of Buggy-esqe vehicles over the years, I've compiled a few of these below-

49240166378_401ed36294_c.jpg

There may be some others out there, but I think these are some of the main releases. Compared to these, 42101 is definitely the smallest, but is it the best? Let's find out. 

*A big thank you to Lego for sending these our way. As usual, the thoughts in this review are my own and do not reflect those of TLG, and if there's something I dislike about a set I won't let it go unsaid.

The Box

Front

49206294837_18808738f4_c.jpg

This may come as a surprise, but the front of the box shows the Buggy. I know, I should have warned you to sit down. Only other thing to note here is that this is the European packaging, and therefore does not have as much information as the American release.

Rear

49206293472_1496e918f8_c.jpg

The rear of the box showcases the B model instead of showing the A-model's functions. As of this time, the B-model instructions are not available on the app, I'll add some shots of that and show it's functions once they are. 

The Build

Initial frame

49214089297_33b6438340_c.jpg

Nothing too exciting to see as we begin the build; note the red L-beams are meant to emulate the seat. Additionally, the white 1x2 will begin the steering functionality.

Rear Suspension

49213821176_b7edbe020c_c.jpg

One of the main two functions of this set is a rear suspension, you can see here how it works, basically just one spring piston attached to some loose technic beams.

Steering

49213374843_1cdf152aa9_c.jpg

We then build up the front of the buggy, you can see here how it's mounted to that white 1x2 I mentioned a moment ago.

Final Steps

49213820636_dac4c20771_c.jpg

We build up the rear wheels, mount a spoiler, and are almost done.

Finished Model

49213372213_9d0a7872c7_c.jpg

Here's the finished model from the front, minus stickers. There are some nice bright light orange parts included in this set, paired with the red is a much more refreshing color scheme compared to previous Buggys. 

Finished Model rear

49213819426_51a34754e2_c.jpg

You can see the finished suspension here, it's not the prettiest, but it works.

Front

49213372123_011f81b0bb_c.jpg

Here's the front, with stickers applied.

Profile View

49213821311_62de0c9bec_c.jpg

Here's the profile view, stickers applied. One thing I really like is the aggressive, hunched-over appearance this buggy has; it makes it look ready to take on aggressive trails, which is a big contrast to most of the previously released buggies that were more relaxed in stature.

Rear

49213371963_d89894f72a_c.jpg

Steering Function

49213852186_452c650f31_w.jpg49214051642_5515f648c2_w.jpg

While not a terribly complicated steering function, it's cool that this set has a completely different system than it's fellow small set, the Mini Xerion. 

Size Comp

49213341883_77bc84305a_c.jpg

Here's the size comparison to the Mini CLAAS. Parts count wise, the CLAAS has 13 more pieces, but both end up being very similar in dimensions. 

Function Demonstration:

Overall:

The Buggy is a very nice set. Similar to my thoughts on the Mini Xerion, it's hard to go wrong with this set at only $13. Visually, the color scheme is great, and even at this scale, it manages to pull off a very convincing shape. Functionally, you get a perfectly serviceable steering function and suspension. Certainly, neither of these are anything too complicated, but at this price point, they do what they need to and don't ruin the overall aesthetic. It's well built, sturdy, and yeah, that's about where my thoughts are at on this. What do you think of this? Will you be picking one up?

As a disclaimer, as noted previously I will go ahead and review the B model of this once I am able. 

7 hours ago, VBBN said:

Steering

49213374843_1cdf152aa9_c.jpg

I am afraid the half bush may fall off after a few days of play.

38 minutes ago, iLego said:

I am afraid the half bush may fall off after a few days of play.

Doubt it, and even if it does it’s entirely unnecessary, since the 4L beam has an axle connector anyway.

Thank you for reviewing such a small set. I'm gonna buy it because it reminds me two buggies from past - 8829 (my very first LEGO set) and 8048 (the set that ended my dark age). I also plan to try to build motorbike out of this set.

Thanks for the review. :classic: It's a lovely little set, and it's nice to see that Bright Light Orange is already used in another Technic set after the Crawler.

Just got a question : when the spring is fully compressed, does the 5M beam used for the steering touch the ground ?

Hi everyone! I've downloaded the instructions and built it with my own parts. I've changed the wheels and the front bumper and it was instantly much more fun to play with! 

Edited by zx_verboeser

To me, this set most closely resembles 8207 Dune Duster, which was the first Technic set I purchased. 

8207-1.jpg

I really liked that set because the functionality and the looks were excellent for a set of that size.  Like this set, it had the single shock absorber for the rear suspension, and it had working steering.  It bested this set in that the steering wheel was linked to the steering mechanism (no need for HOG), and it had an actual seat that fit the Technic figures that were available at that time.  Although the flagship Technic sets get bigger and more complex every year, I think it is a shame that the smaller sets seem to have regressed in looks and functionality compared to the sets from 25 years ago.

12 hours ago, Tomahawker said:

To me, this set most closely resembles 8207 Dune Duster, which was the first Technic set I purchased.

Same for me, 8207 was also my first Technic set and I felt overwhelmed by it's functions back then (coming from 'Town' theme with hardly any 'functions' in those sets).

IMHO these kind of small sets (mini Claas also) are what Technic is about for little kids who are getting started in Technic: small so reasonably quick to build so they don't get bored halfway through, few but realistic functions so easy to play, and recognizable enough to represent a (near) reallife thing.