Sariel

Sariel's 1H2020 Technic video reviews

(Re: 42101) In any case, it's weird to rate a set so low because its suspension is too hard. I can't remember people doing that with 8880. ;)

i would rate the buggy definitely higher than the crane (you rated those 2 similar). In my view, having a lackluster B-model is much better than none at all, because I don't expect the target audience - 8-year-olds - care much about how the B is similar. It's 2 times as much fun either way, and any B-model, no matter how bad, tells the message: you can build other things with this. I'd say the crane lacking a B model is an unforgiveable downside, because it defies the whole idea of what Lego is ultimately about. Given that the parts don't need to be reusable, no compromises need to be taken, so that single model could have been the best of the best of the best. But it simply doesn't deliver.

I just think the buggy is great for what it is, and couldn't have been much better within the price range. In contrary, I'm certain much better cranes can be built with fewer than 1300 parts.

But I guess I just weigh some properties differently than you do :)

Anyhow, the Claas is a brilliant little set and I think I might get 2 just for the parts, but I think the buggy is a great starter set too and for the rest the catamaran is original, I learned from your review how realistic it is, and it's highly functional. The bouyancy is great, but as another review stated, how many children will actually be playing with it in water?

Edited by Erik Leppen

Just now, Erik Leppen said:

In my view, having a lackluster B-model is much better than none at all

B model is like pizza and s*x. Even if it's bad, it's still good.

Oooh actually I suppose so, I forgot about the obvious big ones. I guess I'm only really looking at it from the perspective of getting a single part type instead of the whole collection. In either case, both sets work together to make a very good parts pack.

More <$20 small sets should include mini pneumatics and springs. We need a way to source them on a budget without Bricklink

Edited by Bartybum

20 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

... and for the rest the catamaran is original, I learned from your review how realistic it is, and it's highly functional. The bouyancy is great, but as another review stated, how many children will actually be playing with it in water?

I think most kids in the target age range will try it out in water. I can't imagine myself as a kid NOT playing with it in water.

Edited by kolbjha