42108 Mobile Crane

42106 Stunt Show Truck And Bike:

42105 Catamaran:

42104 Race Truck:

42103 Dragster:

42102 Mini CLAAS XERION:

42101 Buggy:

Edited by Sariel

Great reviews as always; but how does hamster go along with kitties?

As master reviewer please correct me, but all Control+ models (Liebherr, off-roader and rally car) have no B model ?

So far yes, all C+ sets have no B-models. I've heard through the grapevine that B-models cost a lot to develop and 90%+ buyers don't even try building them anyway.

That is plausible, even I have a lot of headache should I go for Control+ sets or wait some compatibility possibilities with PF elements.

Thanks for additional information. :classic:

Forgot to mention that I really like new differential presentation  in your review.

Edited by I_Igor

I'm not wondering why they didn't put the new into the 42099. TLG needs a unique feature/part for the 42109. Otherwise it would have been even harder to sell it.

Oh, and thanks for the great reviews!

Edited by Andman

1 hour ago, Sariel said:

So far yes, all C+ sets have no B-models. I've heard through the grapevine that B-models cost a lot to develop and 90%+ buyers don't even try building them anyway.

Not providing printed instructions for the B models may explain why a lot of people don't build them.

Thanks a lot for great reviews - as always! Especially I appreciate details and testing of the new diff and hull parts! The catamaran is a positive surprice indeed!

Thank you for the detailed review of the new differential Sariel. I am now completely sold on the new design, it's amazingly strong! Well done TLG :thumbup:. Can't wait to see it in the 2nd half sets.

@Sariel Nice 42102 review, as always. But there is small aligment error in the model in the video. And such error i saw nearly in any review... Hood of the tractor is paralel to horizont in your build, when it should be sloped.

Here is the photo of said error: lime original set - correct hood position, blue spare-piece replica - position like in your, and many other reviews...

IMG_20200103_143805.jpg

But still, its awesome little set, and b-model is good too - it features rear wheel steering, and chassis isnt exactly same.

On 12/26/2019 at 8:54 PM, Akbalder said:

Not providing printed instructions for the B models may explain why a lot of people don't build them

I've never built a B model in my life.. and i started in 1978 so i've had printed instructions! I love the purity of the A model, B models always feel compromised and don't add anything for me... I want to build it, maybe learn new tricks, then take it apart for moc's. No interest in keeping it built or building a B... I agree with the 90% of people.

5 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

I've never built a B model in my life.. and i started in 1978 so i've had printed instructions! I love the purity of the A model, B models always feel compromised and don't add anything for me... I want to build it, maybe learn new tricks, then take it apart for moc's. No interest in keeping it built or building a B... I agree with the 90% of people.

I may be in the other camp, I specifically buy extra copies of sets with cool B-models, in order to have both displayed at the same time.

My favourite so far is the 42055 B-model, absolutely fabulous build and unique functionality.

Also bought multiples of 42078, 42030, 8258, 8285, 9397, 42020, 42025, 42043, 42053 and 42080. Would never do that for the supercars or other single purpose models, so there is additional revenue to have from making B-models...

6 minutes ago, hjxbf said:

I may be in the other camp, I specifically buy extra copies of sets with cool B-models, in order to have both displayed at the same time.

My favourite so far is the 42055 B-model, absolutely fabulous build and unique functionality.

Also bought multiples of 42078, 42030, 8258, 8285, 9397, 42020, 42025, 42043, 42053 and 42080. Would never do that for the supercars or other single purpose models, so there is additional revenue to have from making B-models...

I said it once and I'll say it again: a set with only an A-model is half of a set. Being licensed won't help you either; there are several licensed examples with great B-models, like the Volvo sets. Even the big Xerion's alternate tool is still an alternate, and it's arguably the better tool of the two.

Despite @Sariel's disappointment at the tiny Xerion's B, I like it as well. Not as good as the A in this case, though. :grin:

Ouch, didn’t noticed that. I initially build blue version from my spares when first preliminary photos leaked, and i initially made hood with proper angle, thus I didn’t noticed, that in instruction that moment didn’t covered...

I’m amazed you rated the buggy so low, and the Claas so high. The buggy offers suspension in a really cheap set, that has to be worth more than two stars...

I think it can hardly be called a suspension. As demonstrated in slow motion in my video, the buggy is too light to make any use of it, it only works if you press it down by hand. Bottom line is, the buggy offers a single shock absorber (worth about $0.7 on Bricklink) while the Claas offers 10 gear wheels of 5 various types. It's a simple choice.

1 hour ago, Sariel said:

It's a simple choice

Eh, agree to disagree. Springs are MUCH harder to come across than gears.

Than any gears, maybe. Than 10 gears of 5 various types in a $13 set? I doubt so. Check Bricklink, the 6.5L shock absorber comes in at least 100 various sets.