Sign in to follow this  
Alfadas

AoM Store Phase lll - Settling down

I know, I know, it's been a LONG time since I posted an AoM moc, and this is definitely not worth the wait. Still hope you like it ;)

49277124353_da3679ee6c_z.jpg

The store itself

49277597581_d527d33d13_z.jpg

The interior, with another satisfied customer leaving with a brand new pokey stick

49277799402_fd35cf13ab_z.jpg

Close up of said customer

49277598431_e0c0209a38_z.jpg

Side angle

49277800177_55b5cab449_z.jpg

Other side. 

I know this is not up to the standard of other phase lll stores, but it's a big improvement over my phase ll, so I still hope it counts :) C&C welcome as always!

Those brick bricks are kind of hard to use with multiple colors in buildings this size as you get a lot of the grout lines lining up vertically.  I'm not a "crazy detailed texture" builder, so I like using them in 2's or maybe 3's in conjunction with mostly regular 1/2 bricks to give a little bit of texture to a stone wall.  But, if I were a "crazy detailed texture" builder, I'd be using more 1x2 plates, 1x2 rounded plates, 1x2 tiles, modified 1x2 plates, and headlight/studs on the side bricks to create the "small bricks" texture we often see.

Glad to see you posting again!  I'm glad that you posted despite not feeling it was up to an arbitrary 'standard'.  I think this forum can be intimidating to newcomers since we have a lot of really talented builders on here, but I have found that the GoH are very welcoming and supportive, so the best way to learn is to put oneself out there.

As for the build itself, first, what I like and think is working well: The interior is well done.  One thing that you have done that is many times ignored is the realistic spacing of the interior furniture, etc.  There is actually room to walk around, and room for wares.  TLG in many of their official builds leave 2 studs for walkways sometimes, which I think looks cramped.  You also used a band of reddish brown around the top of the wall, visually separating the roof from the lower walls, which I think helps to break up the architecture.  Although I'm not entirely sure it works, I like your use of the cheese wedges for the roof, since it's always good to experiment.  One of the great questions to ask with any experimental builds is if they are functional in real life.  For instance, the cheese wedges you have look interesting, but realistically, they would likely pool water on the roof in the valleys, something most people try to avoid on roofs, so there may be other ways to make this look more natural to the eye.

I think I see where you were going with the colors and textures on the walls, but I will probably echo what @mrcp6d said in that those bricks can be tough to use in those varieties and colors.  In particular, if you're going for a mossy wall, it's easier to blend in with plates, rather than bricks, since the look less blocky.  Also, keeping such color usage to 1-2 colors, or in the same color family, can help.  Right now the wall looks a little busy with color, and I think that distracts from the overall nice little shop build that you have going on.

One other tip: if you use those large round top doors with the clips on the side, it makes them look cleaner to put the clips on the inside.  I preferred the old style door with the small clips that allowed for easier use of the door on the interior and exterior.

Overall, it's a good effort and a nice, cozy little build.  I look forward to seeing the progression of your work!

Good to see you post again man!
The shop interior is nicely furnished, with plenty of weapon and armor options :thumbup:

An easy way to improve cheese slope roofs is to layer 2 wide plates underneath the cheese, so that the slopes step together nicely.
49368632392_1775db31db_c.jpg

49368644807_17e511bf77_c.jpg

On 4/26/2020 at 10:05 PM, soccerkid6 said:

Good to see you post again man!
The shop interior is nicely furnished, with plenty of weapon and armor options :thumbup:

An easy way to improve cheese slope roofs is to layer 2 wide plates underneath the cheese, so that the slopes step together nicely.
<snip>

Thanks for the tip! I'll try that! 

Edited by Alfadas