Sign in to follow this  
Pchan1983

REVIEW: 80105 Chinese New Year Temple Fair

The 2020 Chinese New Year sets have now been released in Asia Pacific region, I immediately got my hands on it this morning and here is my review on it:

THE GOOD:

• Excellent display piece and 14 minifigures!
  • NO STICKERS! YES I REPEAT, NO STICKERS!
  • So many new and great pieces.
  • Fairly interesting builds and I don't think it's for 8+.  More like 12+ in my opinion.
  • There are some very nice touch on replicating the authenticity of chinese new year.
  • Seriously, the price is very fair in terms of what you get from it. 

THE NOT SO GOOD:

• Can't find any, if there is one probably some of the builds can be repetitive.

Overall, I think this is a 10 out of 10 and Lego has set a very high bar for 2020.  And not a single stickers, I wonder if Lego will continue this trend.  With 14 minifigures and some of them are exclusive, at the current price it just too good of a deal to pass. Great design, fun build (took me 3.5hrs) and so many new pieces as well.  More over, this time is not regional specific and will be widely available globally (Jan 10th for US and Europe I believe).  I'd totally recommend this set to anyone.

What a beauty and thanks for the early review! Only two weeks left to finally be ble to order a couple of it!

It is a gorgeous set. It really seems like any normal rules about the amount of colour changes and prints allowed in a line are out the window with these sets.

I'm so happy that LEGO has taken a good look at how these were handled (at least outside of Asia proper, where distribution seemed fine last year). The Australia and NZ Certified Stores announced ahead that they'd have them in stock on boxing day, including the dinner set from last year, and sure enough they had plenty and stock remained at least through midday, though I wasn't taking any chances and got there at 8am when my store opened. Unlike last year, where you'd be lucky to catch a whiff of the sets in Australia before they disappeared forever.

I deliberated about which to buy, and ultimately got the Lion Dance and last year's dinner instead of the market. I do love what the market set has to offer, but I don't really have space to display it and the Lion Dance has more unique minifig prints/parts and a lot of nice stuff. I'm looking forward to finishing it.

23 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Excellent set

Thanks for the review :classic:

Thanks and yes excellent set indeed.

6 hours ago, Chilis said:

What a beauty and thanks for the early review! Only two weeks left to finally be ble to order a couple of it!

Yup and there is a pile of them when it rolled out in our Lego Certified Store so I think we won't run into shortage this time.

2 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

the Lion Dance has more unique minifig prints/parts and a lot of nice stuff. I'm looking forward to finishing it.

Just done my Lion Dance and got blown away again =)