Berthil

Central Perk Big Bang Theory Modular

Since the 21319 Central Perk set came out I wanted to make a modular out of it. After some research I didn't find anything to my satisfaction so I started designing one (digitally) myself. I kept all the original details but managed to fit them on a 32x32 baseplate as common with modulars. At the right side will be a staircase to the 2nd floor. I was planning on making apartments of Joe, Monica and Phoebe in New York style above the Central Perk (I know they don't live above it) but it was suggested to me to make the 21302  Big Bang Theory apartment above it. I really like that idea so it will be a modular out both LEGO Ideas sets (with added bricks of course). Designing a full Big Bang Theory apartment will be challenging as the Lego Ideas set is less complete when compared to the Central Perk set. 

Below the result so far, hope you like it, any suggestions are welcome. I will publish FREE building instructions on Rebrickable when finished but may take a while as I will be building it first in real bricks.

49271081523_51fc7be61a_c.jpg

Finished and free instruction on Rebrickable:
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-34463/Berthil/central-perk-big-bang-theory-modular/

Pictures with details like 'Sheldon dent' in the couch, Blue Jay and wedding scene:

49406344902_3624f75808_c.jpg

49406148981_c0bf8dbcfa_c.jpg

49406132756_99893ec6cd_c.jpg

49405647883_a7a6d450c0_c.jpg

49406129451_1c17433e8f_c.jpg

49406127821_e8acf74f31_c.jpg

49406328437_d9f20946dc_c.jpg

49406136036_e0e5d60853_c.jpg

49405654133_888a897cd8_c.jpg

49405655493_4fd6e5159d_c.jpg

49406140211_e6f82ba5ee_c.jpg

49406142856_f504048e98_c.jpg

49406340022_4a8dba6a78_c.jpg

49405664078_3933f7df64_c.jpg

Edited by Berthil

I hate you. I seriously hate you :wink:

I was literally building a central perk modular also...grr!

granted in the end I’m sure they will end up different. And I like the idea of Big Bang above it (but I won’t be doing that).

your initial planning looks great! Thanks for sharing

16 hours ago, tuwar said:

How many Different pieces you used to the original set?

As many as possible but when finished I will make a final comparison and will try to exchange left over pieces into the build get to highest possible percentage of re-use.

Meanwhile I've successfully added the Big Bang Theory set on the second floor with all the original details and more. Current brick count is at 3200.

49298788943_c7b7f707a1_c.jpg

I've got requests to add a Seinfeld, Will & Grace or even 'How I met your mother' floor to the build. Good ideas but there is no official LEGO set of these and I want to keep the build restricted to the LEGO Ideas sets. So next is adding a detailed roof with a party area for Friends and BBT :)  

Hi,

really like what you’re doing here. Not sure if you’re on Instagram but check out LegoSwede - 

they've built a Lego friends / cafe corner mix.

just got this set for Christmas so I’m definitely going to take some inspiration and build a modular out of it. 

I forgot to post, this was ready at new year, meanwhile I've added more details.
The outside of the BBT 2nd floor is based on the LEGO Ideas set and not the actual show as correctly somebody stated the outside has never been visible in the show. 

49305543477_ba3e2dd127_c.jpg

As you can see I'm using the closet door as an entrance as there is no other way to fit all of this in a 32x32 modular with a staircase.
Meanwhile I've made a dummy door where the real door is (with dart board) and that one turned out quite well.

I'm finishing up the roof and that one is also inspired by BBT but I also try to re-use bricks not yet used e.g. 6x12 black tile modified and the studio lights.

I also like the Logoswede version but I'm trying to keep as close as possible to the original LEGO Ideas sets.

Edited by Berthil

@Berthil As a huge fan of both shows - my heart is melted! Amazing idea and beautiful execution. I can't wait to see the final result. 

@adwind Thank you!

Just finished the roof and therefore my Central Perk and Bing Bang Theory modular (see previous posts). The roof is the wedding scene from BBT as I tried to re-use as much as possible left over bricks from the two LEGO Ideas sets. Brick count is 4211 in 679 lots where 1500 bricks are from the LEGO Ideas sets (minifigs not counted). Next is building it in real bricks and while building I will create and optimize the free building instruction. This may take a while but I'll keep you posted.

49327443328_fac3fa66a9_c.jpg

Edited by Berthil
typos

Looks awesome, look forward to seeing what it’s like when you’ve completed the build.

@Roadmonkeytj I might agree but will see how it looks when I have build it. An extra row is easily added to the ground floor.
The picture is taken top down, looking from the front it looks very good.
It was unfortunately not possible to avoid the corner as otherwise the BBT set would not fit.

Almost done with going through my inventory and will start ordering the rest of needed parts today.
99% of the BBT set and 95% of the Central Perk set is used in the modular.

By the way, if the Ideas Seinfeld (currently under review) becomes a set, I plan to add a floor for it in the future.

Edited by Berthil
typos

On 12/31/2019 at 9:59 AM, Berthil said:

49298788943_c7b7f707a1_c.jpg

:)  

I was looking more at this photo.  The darker colors against the lighter second floor make it appear squashed.  I think a "buffer" row of bricks would ease the transition.  Most first floors in older buildings were 14' with second floor being 10-12'. Decreasing the second is not the solution as then it would look too pressed.  If you didn't want to add a full row if brick you could add two grey plate rows to the base to give idea of foundation then a third plate to the either of the stripes near the top of the first floor.  

I'm not bashing you at all as this is a brilliant build.  It's just something I noticed that if I were "buying" this I would modify.

Almost finished the real build of the Central Perk Big Bang Theory modular, only waiting for some bits for the interior and TV crew minifigs to finish up and photograph all. As suggested I changed some colors but I cannot make the ground floor higher. Almost done with the free instruction including several part lists in case you have the Central Perk and/or Bing Bang Theory set. Will post the link here.

49388765713_d1f7151716_c.jpg

Thank You, really looking forward to instructions and parts count. Looks great. 
EddieZ

Austin, Tx

36 minutes ago, Berthil said:

As suggested I changed some colors but I cannot make the ground floor higher. 

Why do you say that? Using this as an example, you could have dark-green above the awning with the row of dark red bricks above that.

outside_Web.0.0.jpg

Edited by gotoAndLego

1 minute ago, gotoAndLego said:

Why do you say that?

Because of the stairs inside but what I can try is to make the top row above the central perk window dark green instead of dark red and see how it looks.

Edited by Berthil
typos

34 minutes ago, Berthil said:

Because of the stairs inside but what I can try is to make the top row above the central perk window dark green instead of dark red and see how it looks.

That won't make it look taller.

Just make each step one plate taller; the stairs should fit the building instead of the other way around. Even if you're not crazy about the way the slightly taller steps look, that's such a minor hidden detail compared to the exterior which you will see all the time.

Edited by gotoAndLego

I've made it green already in real and digital build and it does looks taller and better. The ground floor does not look so tall because of the awning but it is. The stair steps are already a brick high and everything is cramped to the stud inside including the non working BBT elevator between the stairs. I see no other way than to publish like this, everybody is free to make the changes they want.

Edited by Berthil
typos

Thanks for the pictures. I'm surprised at how different this ended up from how my own build is coming along. Which is good! Always interesting to see different takes on the similar source material.

I am confused on the non working elevator/stairs above it. It looks like the stairs would cut right through it? Odd. But maybe it is the angle I'm looking at it.

I love the rooftop though. Well done sir!

5 minutes ago, TheLegoDr said:

I am confused on the non working elevator/stairs above it. It looks like the stairs would cut right through it? Odd. But maybe it is the angle I'm looking at it.

The elevator is a 'dummy' elevator as in the BBT series for 12 years (except last episode). So it's just a door where the stairs go behind as there is no room for a 'real' elevator. It is easily replaced by a wall if a builder does not want the dummy elevator door.

Currently I'm finishing up the building instruction with about 300 building steps, a lot of work. I hope to publish coming weekend after arrival of last parts and after taking pictures.

Edited by Berthil