Sign in to follow this  
KotZ

[OL FB] Le Fleur - Class 5 Ship

My dear Emile,

Since you've been in Terraversa with the trading company, our business has been flourishing. While we have not expanded much recently, we've been gaining good capital. As a celebration for your return home (which I do pray is imminent), I've used some of our money to purchase a new ship, Le Fleur, for you and your crew to use. She has twenty cannons and is ready to sail the seas and bring prosperity to our great nation.

All my love,
Elise

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

Thanks you two! White isn’t really my preferred color for ship hills but I think it turned out nicely.

The furled sails are a technique I saw on here awhile ago. I’ll look through my history to find just who it was. 

Great to see another ship from you, Kotz, and a nice addition to our mighty fleet.:thumbup:

We can see immediately she's an Oleon ship by her colour scheme, very pretty indeed, and it may look even better if you could build the deck with another colour than the hull, maybe with tan or dark tan? 

1 hour ago, Bodi said:

Great to see another ship from you, Kotz, and a nice addition to our mighty fleet.:thumbup:

We can see immediately she's an Oleon ship by her colour scheme, very pretty indeed, and it may look even better if you could build the deck with another colour than the hull, maybe with tan or dark tan? 

Thanks! My next ship is definitely going to be more challenging for me. 

I think tan might be better over dark tan for the deck.

On 12/25/2019 at 10:46 AM, Fraunces said:

She's a beauty!

Thanks! Us Oleanders like function and beauty.

Great looking ship, Kotz! Both bow and stern has come out nice, and the overall curve has come out nice too. Could you show us a breakdown of the capstan? It looks really cool. As per size, I'd say she is very close to a class 6. How many midsections does she consist off?

I have three suggestions.

1) A little life aboard would be cool (I understand that minifig posing can be a pain, though.)

2) Presentation-wise, white on white makes it a little hard to make out some of the contours and details.

3) Since your hull is so nice, you could consider putting a bit more into the rigging. I quite like the way you did the furled sails. Your masts are in one piece of diminishing, but should really be in three parts on a full rigged ship where each part overlaps the next. (Example below)

49019772613_66a462c7b7_c.jpg

Overall, very nice frigate, and I hope not to cross her on the brick seas!

Very nice ship, KotZ! Several nice details would be worth to be mentioned, but the most eye-catching is the winch wheel on the bow. Probably the presentation would be more effective on a darker background, but the colour scheme clearly shouts the nationality of the ship. Well done!

Yes, very nice ship!

However, are there higher resolution images available? 

I'd post the ship on the Classic-Pirates Social Media but the social media prefers images to be 1080x1080.

We're falling short quite a bit of that...

1.png

On 12/29/2019 at 8:31 AM, Bregir said:

Great looking ship, Kotz! Both bow and stern has come out nice, and the overall curve has come out nice too. Could you show us a breakdown of the capstan? It looks really cool. As per size, I'd say she is very close to a class 6. How many midsections does she consist off?

I have three suggestions.

1) A little life aboard would be cool (I understand that minifig posing can be a pain, though.)

2) Presentation-wise, white on white makes it a little hard to make out some of the contours and details.

3) Since your hull is so nice, you could consider putting a bit more into the rigging. I quite like the way you did the furled sails. Your masts are in one piece of diminishing, but should really be in three parts on a full rigged ship where each part overlaps the next. (Example below)

SNIP

Overall, very nice frigate, and I hope not to cross her on the brick seas!

Thank you for the suggestions! For the capstan, it's a ship's steering wheel with the telescope/spyglass on each spoke, covered by a parabola. It connects to a 1x1 technic brick which has headlight bricks on each end to secure to the deck. I'll post an image when I have more direction from @Mister Phes on how he would like the images. She is five midsections.

1) Minifigures can be gladly added (certainly on the next build and others from now on).

2) Are you referring to the background of the image or the decking? Or both?

3) For the rigging, I considered adding technic bricks to the sides to have secure places for ratlines, but thought they would look a bit funky with how they stick out and how narrow the ship is since it's on prefab hulls.

On 12/31/2019 at 10:51 AM, Keymonus said:

Very nice ship, KotZ! Several nice details would be worth to be mentioned, but the most eye-catching is the winch wheel on the bow. Probably the presentation would be more effective on a darker background, but the colour scheme clearly shouts the nationality of the ship. Well done!

Thank you!

15 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Yes, very nice ship!

However, are there higher resolution images available? 

I'd post the ship on the Classic-Pirates Social Media but the social media prefers images to be 1080x1080.

We're falling short quite a bit of that...

SNIP

Since this is LDD/Bluerender, I can definitely make it to that scale. Is there any preference for background color? How many images would you like? Minifigures going about ship life? I only posted this smaller scale due to EB rules.

Beautiful ship! I really like the color scheme, and the brick-built furled sails. :thumbup:

On 1/4/2020 at 12:43 AM, KotZ said:

She is five midsections.

Then she can certainly be licensed as a class 6. See here for details.

2) Are you referring to the background of the image or the decking? Or both? 

Well, initially the background. But I think a bit more variety in colours overall would help too. (Although tan or brown decks would probably look strange :wink:)

3) For the rigging, I considered adding technic bricks to the sides to have secure places for ratlines, but thought they would look a bit funky with how they stick out and how narrow the ship is since it's on prefab hulls.

I'd suggest taking a look at all the various way people make chainplates. There are bulky and elegant solutions, realistic and imaginative, etc. Probably one that suits you too.:classic:

On 1/4/2020 at 10:43 AM, KotZ said:

I'll post an image when I have more direction from @Mister Phes on how he would like the images.

Just larger images will do...

Also, the problem with the below image is the superfluous white space to the right  and beneath the MOC. 

Is it possible to centre the MOC and minimize the whitespace?

image.png

She's a beauty! The wood pieces spice the deck up quite nice and I just love the clean colorfulness. Would be a tremendous sight to see her in real hard bricks *huh*

8 hours ago, Fraunces said:

She's a beauty! The wood pieces spice the deck up quite nice and I just love the clean colorfulness. Would be a tremendous sight to see her in real hard bricks *huh*

Thanks! There were quite a few color changes though on the pieces.