Clutch Builder

Simple Building Techniques

This is a place to share all those interesting and simple building techniques that you find. 

I’ll start: This technique uses three pieces per segment, and can be repeated as long as you want. It looks to me like some kind of architectural design on an Art Deco building.

1573005618m_DISPLAY.jpg

Thanks! Following with great interest! I'm planning to build my first garage to display my SC cars. My goal is to look it like an old industrial building. 

Merry Christmas,

Daan

Merry Christmas to you too!

Also, here is a more industrial version of the first technique.

1577304796m_DISPLAY.jpg

Clutch Builder

Edited by Clutch Builder

You could use this piece when it is more colors to angle walls and other things, as well as use them for bent pipes and other greebling

65578.png

It is a 3mm bar that is bent, which has a mini peg hole, and a semi hollow stud on the other end.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=65578#T=C

Hope this helps.

Edited by SNIPE

That’s a neat part. I think it could be used as a shower head.

I had been wondering why I had never seen it before, until I realized that it was only released yesterday. :laugh:

Clutch Builder

This may count as an illegal building technique, but I think it's great nonetheless:

If you take a tile and connect it with a stud on one side, but not fully connect it on the other side and repeat the process over and over, you will end up with a circle, which can be used for a lot of interesting builds. Here are two of mine:

034106c16755765c7d9b36892c3ba1a3bceab8c3_1_666x500.jpg6b93f2f0395664277c1950c40ff4c302b8b904fe_1_666x500.jpg

Baseplategripped.png.52f11de70ca1ad393b5d1c8677b7ef05.png

You can mount a baseplate and secure it like this. I found it pretty useful when I worked it out.

An "illegal build" is a technique that puts stress on an element in some way. LEGO parts have designed tolerances that allow them to function as designed and intended. If you use building techniques that force the element outside of their design limits, it creates stress on the part and can deform or damage the part over time. So LEGO designed sets would not use the technique to avoid problems.

We as fans merrily break the design rules if we are naughty :laugh:

12 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

An "illegal build" is a technique that puts stress on an element in some way. LEGO parts have designed tolerances that allow them to function as designed and intended. If you use building techniques that force the element outside of their design limits, it creates stress on the part and can deform or damage the part over time. So LEGO designed sets would not use the technique to avoid problems.

We as fans merrily break the design rules if we are naughty :laugh:

That is true! I've heard about people doing that and facing huge backlash for it. Personally, in Lego David's case, he actually did a bang up job with his. Though people would wonder how he was able to do that. 

On 1/5/2020 at 3:10 AM, Peppermint_M said:

Baseplategripped.png.52f11de70ca1ad393b5d1c8677b7ef05.png

You can mount a baseplate and secure it like this. I found it pretty useful when I worked it out.

That is indeed very useful! I was actually trying to find a way to mount baseplates recently. This is so much better than what I came up with.

Clutch Builder

On January 5, 2020 at 5:43 AM, pooda said:

Why do they call these illegal builds? I mean....its not like they're going to arrest you for it. 

You never know...TLG has eyes everywhere. I'm building a MOC using illegal techniques now, but their agents might take me out before I can even finish posting thi

I’m back with another technique! I actually saw this one on a poster at LEGOLAND. It is a simple way of making nice looking pine trees.

p194_1_orig.png

And here they are in a small forest.

p195_orig.png

Clutch Builder

10 hours ago, Clutch Builder said:

I’m back with another technique! I actually saw this one on a poster at LEGOLAND. It is a simple way of making nice looking pine trees.

p194_1_orig.png

And here they are in a small forest.

p195_orig.png

Clutch Builder

Wow! That's super useful! I see a lot of potential for Micro-Scale builds using this technique!