Raystafarian

[MOC] Gentoo Penguin (Bird)

My MOC of a Gentoo Penguin (Pygoscelis papua), scale is roughly  1 stud : 1 in  of an adult bird, the smallest of adult birds.

Gentoo%20Penguin.png

The model is about 19 studs tall and roughly 13 studs wingtip to wingtip and feet to tail. The axle holder on underside of the bird should be near the center of gravity and a 5L axle into 2L stud holder should support the bird with minimal reinforcement.

As with my Laysan Albatross, to say this isn't inspired by the work of Thomas Poulsom would be disingenuous at best and an outright lie at worst.

The model was first built in Stud.io and then went through several revisions of the physical model.

The most time consuming portion of this build was the head - I designed it with sub-models and once I got it mostly together, I ran into a few things. I first needed to have it attach to the body which was actually a few days of brainstorming for me, despite how simply it attaches in this final model. Next was aligning the 4x4 plate for the back of the head properly and then finally adding in the white crescent on the head without the rest of it falling apart. I'm not sure it's the best way to make a head, but it's a good start and I'm sure I'll be experimenting with it more for future birds.

640x397.jpg

Bricksafe gallery with more photos, io file and pdf instructions.

122319_151350_05.jpg

122319_151239_01.jpg

What a great idea, and it looks good. I can imagine that it took some time figuring out how to build it, it's not the easiest techniek to build vertical.

As someone who thinks penguins are just great I think your build is fantastic. Excellent use of all building directions to create the perfect penguin shape. Wonderful work!