Sucram

[MOD] Poe's X Wing 75273 Colour Swap

I built the newest version of Poe Dameron's X wing from The Rise of Skywalker in the Force Awakens colour scheme, since I don't own that version and the new pieces used to make the engines on the newest version look perfect. The new macaroni pieces aren't on Bricklink yet so they had to be omitted.

49261733881_69c273f07f_b.jpgPoe X Wing 1 by Sucram H, on Flickr

I also did a rudimentary photoshop of what it would look like with the macaroni pieces added. I couldn't be stuffed doing the left side though.

49261794811_3ed77547d7_b.jpgPoe X Wing Photoshopped by Sucram H, on Flickr

I built it in Stud.io and since the instructions aren't out, I had to follow a speed build video and pause every .5 seconds, which was annoying. If anyone's interested I could upload a pic of the blue and grey version.

I'd love to see the normal Resistance version! Also, a parts list  and some instructions would be great if you could upload that. I'd love to put one together and have all three.

I will get on that. I will upload the Stud.io file later as well as a pic of the grey and blue version. Right now I am just looking through my collection to see what pieces I already have

EDIT: Here is the file. Will upload blue version too if needed. https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/design.page?idModel=115023

Edited by LEGODrongo01
file

Very well done, it looks great! And thanks for the Studio file too. I’m tempted to mod my old black X-Wing, it’s a beauty but has been packed away and forgotten for a while now, do you reckon you’ll build this version for real? I can imagine it’s a substantial mod but just about doable, comparing parts lists won’t be much fun though :)

3 minutes ago, mcphatty said:

Very well done, it looks great! And thanks for the Studio file too. I’m tempted to mod my old black X-Wing, it’s a beauty but has been packed away and forgotten for a while now, do you reckon you’ll build this version for real? I can imagine it’s a substantial mod but just about doable, comparing parts lists won’t be much fun though :)

I am most certainly going to build it for real, since it will cost me less than 100 dollars due to already having a lot of parts in my possesion. I reckon modding the original 75102 wouldnt be too hard, since the main fueslage is pretty much the exact same, (except for the wing opening mechanism, but that doesnt need to be changed) its just the wings that are different. Even then, the wings arent that different except for around the engine parts. Should be totally doable. Does anyone know how long it takes for Bricklink sellers to start selling new pieces?

1 hour ago, LEGODrongo01 said:

I am most certainly going to build it for real, since it will cost me less than 100 dollars due to already having a lot of parts in my possesion. I reckon modding the original 75102 wouldnt be too hard, since the main fueslage is pretty much the exact same, (except for the wing opening mechanism, but that doesnt need to be changed) its just the wings that are different. Even then, the wings arent that different except for around the engine parts. Should be totally doable. Does anyone know how long it takes for Bricklink sellers to start selling new pieces?

With the new TOS, new parts can only be sold after they're officially released. :(

Also, I believe Studio files will be changed so that licensed ones can no longer be downloaded, but I'm not 100% sure.

Edited by Gremer2

1 hour ago, Gremer2 said:

With the new TOS, new parts can only be sold after they're officially released. :(

Also, I believe Studio files will be changed so that licensed ones can no longer be downloaded, but I'm not 100% sure.

If it gets taken down I will just upload it on Dropbox. Do the January sets 'officially' release on Jan 1st?

75273 was officially released on Thursday 19 December and available in Myer, DJs, Target etc. 

I have heavily modified my own 75102 but never thought of using the new curved pieces.

Just now, Paul11283652 said:

75273 was officially released on Thursday 19 December and available in Myer, DJs, Target etc. 

I have heavily modified my own 75102 but never thought of using the new curved pieces.

Its not officially released, its not on the Lego website yet, along with the rest of the wave. Retail stores always sell sets early.

I'm not sure what the standard for "officially released" is. It doesn't release in the States until January 1st. What they consider official and okay to list the parts might be regional, or the latest date.

Do we usually see new pieces on Bricklink as soon as a new set is officially released? Or maybe the parts would be on Bricks and Pieces

On 12/23/2019 at 5:02 AM, LEGODrongo01 said:

I will get on that. I will upload the Stud.io file later as well as a pic of the grey and blue version. Right now I am just looking through my collection to see what pieces I already have

EDIT: Here is the file. Will upload blue version too if needed. https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/design.page?idModel=115023

Hi

when you say blue version, is it the resistance version .

if so, can't wait to see it, i'm not a huge fan of orange and black, my favourite one would be the blue one

1 hour ago, macaron35 said:

Hi

when you say blue version, is it the resistance version .

if so, can't wait to see it, i'm not a huge fan of orange and black, my favourite one would be the blue one

That is exactly what I mean. However, it turns out in Stud.io you have to recolour each piece individually. You can download the .io file and do it yourself if you want, since I dont really feel like it 

2 hours ago, LEGODrongo01 said:

That is exactly what I mean. However, it turns out in Stud.io you have to recolour each piece individually. You can download the .io file and do it yourself if you want, since I dont really feel like it 

is it possible to change directly the part list in Studio and will it automatically update the instructions ?

9 hours ago, macaron35 said:

is it possible to change directly the part list in Studio and will it automatically update the instructions ?

I dont know, I havent used Stud.io that much

Just checked, indeed I have to colorize the parts in orange and black in grey and blue. I think i'll go for a non-UCS MOC of the resistance X-wing. Otherwise i'll have to check step by step and change the color for each part, it would take me while.

On 12/30/2019 at 9:27 PM, macaron35 said:

Just checked, indeed I have to colorize the parts in orange and black in grey and blue. I think i'll go for a non-UCS MOC of the resistance X-wing. Otherwise i'll have to check step by step and change the color for each part, it would take me while.

Well, the fuselage for the newest X Wing is practically identical to that of the Resistance X-Wing set, with the exception of the actuator for opening the wings, which some might prefer the original version. It's only the wings that are really different, so you could just build the Resistance X-Wing per the instructions for that set, and then build the wings from the new set but in the blue and grey colours. Just an option.

UPDATE

All my Bricklink orders finally arrived, including one from Russia with the new curved engine pieces, so I was able to build it! I think it looks really good and definitely an improvement over the original set.

49524141127_618f617b8b_b.jpgPoe’s X wing FINISHED by Sucram H, on Flickr

49524141257_9c68f23e53_b.jpgPoe’s X wing FINISHED by Sucram H, on Flickr

49524141062_f7186fac58_b.jpgPoe’s X wing FINISHED by Sucram H, on Flickr

one of my wings is sagging a little bit cos of the rubber bands

49523406773_45f9d80dde_b.jpgPoe’s X wing FINISHED by Sucram H, on Flickr

I also build my modification of 75102! Also with hiding rubber bands :) 

tutorial here:

also available on Rebrickable!