Paperinik77pk

[MOC] 12v and 4,5v trains ideas - let's keep alive the "Gray Era"

On 1/12/2020 at 3:41 PM, Evans said:

Excellent locomotive, very nice that you have built such a specific motor configuration. Have you led real life trials to see how well it stays on track?

I love the roof shape, with the 1xX plates on the sides and the 4xX plates between. It gives a nice curved look. So I believe only the 4 wide part of the roof is removable?

Nice to see a whole train with these tank cars, I made a similar design with Total branding. But I used 1x4x1 lattriced fences instead of the plates assemblies for the roof raillings.

Hi there! Thank you very much!

I tested a bit the bogies articulation on a minimal chassis and it seems to work properly - at the moment I'm working on the BR50 chassis, so I left alone the E194 :sweet:

Correct, the central part of the roof is the one which can be removed, even if not specifically designed to do so like in real 12v trains of the time :wub:

Currently the tank wagons are pretty straightforward - I made them in different colors (blue ARAL, yellow SHELL, white-red ESSO, and one completely gray, marked DB) - I'll have to learn how to print decals on decal sheets :sweet:

Ciao and thanks again!

Davide

After a big steamer like the BR50, I wanted to design something smaller, yet with some 7750 parts.

I therefore tried to recreate the first locomotive I bought when I was interested in "N" scale. It was part of a Fleischmann freight starter set. The locomotive is the medium size BR53.3 (nothing to spare with the enormous BR53 with condensation Tender:wub:)

Lego DB BR53.3 12v

Lego DB BR53.3 12v

It is a pretty simple locomotive to build, the two front wheels and the medium ones create a bogie, the third one is fixed to the chassis. Also the tender is pretty basic :classic:

Hope you like it!

Ciao!

Davide

Hi all, after a lot of German Locomotives, I got one of my old designs (the BR Class 55) and adapted it to 12v world...

..but since the standard platform it is a lot smaller than a BR55, why don't create a model of a smaller "Deltic"? And here it is , the BR 23, also called "Baby Deltic".

It was a locomotive with some initial reliability problems, but these were corrected and it worked fine, until its early dismission in the late 60s. I always liked it, being the "poor" sister of her majesty Class 55 :wub:

Lego BR 23 - Baby Deltic - 12V

The front numbers are made by 1x1 tiles which were not available at the time - they are there in order to simulate a big sticker on two black 1x2 tiles :laugh:

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

That would be wonderfull if lego could release the powered up train motor in red ! and the decorative sides as well !

Nice windscreen with these 2x2 slopes. It loooks to be a quite massive locomotive with such a high front.

On 1/22/2020 at 8:01 PM, Paperinik77pk said:

Lego DB BR53.3 12v

This beauty had gone unnoticed on my radars ... until now! :laugh:
Beautiful model, I like it more than big locomotives
Fantastic arrangement of axles and magnificent use of large wheels ...great work! :thumbup:

I've just recently gotten back into lego trains, and of course the era I perhaps have the biggest soft spot for is 12v.

I've been piecing together a 7760 from my own parts stock (with missing parts sourced from bricklink) with the 12v motor swapped for PF, I plan on eventually swapping the wheels out for 3D printed replica 12v wheels that accept a technic axle - I believe I found someone else on this forum had done the same a while back. Not sure yet how to tackle power/control but I am considering custom-making pickup brushes and hiding them between the wheels.

Mockup render from stud.io:

7760_PF.png

Currently unfinished build of the model:

Q8L17AS.jpg

I'm currently using a technic axle with stop to give the PF motor 6 wheels, though I am also exploring other options - this solution seems to be too high-friction. The completed model will have 12v-esque wheels complete with siderods and (if I can find decent decal paper) reproduction stickers. The process of sourcing all/most of the parts off bricklink is very nice for aquiring these older models (in a way) for cheap - I plan on doing 7755 next.

As a bonus, here's a test render of an NYC J1e hudson MOC I'm making in 12v style (with some obvious inspiration from 7750). The front section of the running board has already been redesigned and I am aware that the large wheels do not exist in black... at least, not yet.

12v_Hudson_Loco.png

On 2/3/2020 at 8:51 AM, moustic said:

That would be wonderfull if lego could release the powered up train motor in red ! and the decorative sides as well !

It could be a great, great thing!!! Currently, the only way to use PF/PuP in 12v sets is creating a fake motor with technic axles and put the PF/PUP medium motor over it - then the battery placement immediately becomes another issue on vehicles with a low or narrow body :sweet:

On 2/3/2020 at 10:26 AM, Evans said:

Nice windscreen with these 2x2 slopes. It loooks to be a quite massive locomotive with such a high front.

Thank you!!! I agree, it is quite "boxy" :thumbup:... those British locomotives were long, high and narrow beasts!!! :wub:

On 2/3/2020 at 9:25 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

This beauty had gone unnoticed on my radars ... until now! :laugh:
Beautiful model, I like it more than big locomotives
Fantastic arrangement of axles and magnificent use of large wheels ...great work! :thumbup:

Thanks Emanuele for your feedback! It is the next steamer I'm going to build :wink:

Waiting for the black windows...and big wheels :ugh: (the BR50 used all my big wheels I had in storage) :classic:

6 hours ago, DirtPiper said:

I've just recently gotten back into lego trains, and of course the era I perhaps have the biggest soft spot for is 12v.

I've been piecing together a 7760 from my own parts stock (with missing parts sourced from bricklink) with the 12v motor swapped for PF, I plan on eventually swapping the wheels out for 3D printed replica 12v wheels that accept a technic axle - I believe I found someone else on this forum had done the same a while back. Not sure yet how to tackle power/control but I am considering custom-making pickup brushes and hiding them between the wheels.

Mockup render from stud.io:

7760_PF.png

Currently unfinished build of the model:

Q8L17AS.jpg

I'm currently using a technic axle with stop to give the PF motor 6 wheels, though I am also exploring other options - this solution seems to be too high-friction. The completed model will have 12v-esque wheels complete with siderods and (if I can find decent decal paper) reproduction stickers. The process of sourcing all/most of the parts off bricklink is very nice for aquiring these older models (in a way) for cheap - I plan on doing 7755 next.

As a bonus, here's a test render of an NYC J1e hudson MOC I'm making in 12v style (with some obvious inspiration from 7750). The front section of the running board has already been redesigned and I am aware that the large wheels do not exist in black... at least, not yet.

12v_Hudson_Loco.png

Hi! Thank you for joining the "12v Moc party"!!! I'm really glad you are showing your renders!!!

For the 7760 - it's always a pleasure to see some love for the little blue gem! I've currently converted a PF motor to 12v aesthetics, using my own designed and printed 3D wheels (which can accept also original 12v rods).

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/l55F9eeD8db-lego-12v-wheel-with-technic-axle

The third central wheel has a big issue to be analyzed and solved. In the 12v motor it has a kind of "suspension" , so the real weight of the locomotive goes on the outer axles only. In the PF motor, the use of an adapted technic axle in the round hole does not allow the central wheel vertical movement. This causes two specific problems:

First one - weight is evenly distributed also on a wheel that has a rubber band (but no traction). This means that the motor has an additional rubbered wheel causing a lot of unneccessary drag.

Second one - the central wheel acts as a fulcrum, so the outer axles to not have all the traction they need. This translates in an unwanted wheel slipping.

We can work on it if you like! :thumbup:

Regarding your Hudson MOC...it is fantastic!!! I love it! :wub:

Only one suggestion on my side - I'd remove the rear buffer (not fitting the American style) - using a black plate with hole , keeping the magnet function. :wink:

Ciao!

Davide

On 2/7/2020 at 6:53 AM, Paperinik77pk said:

The third central wheel has a big issue to be analyzed and solved. In the 12v motor it has a kind of "suspension" , so the real weight of the locomotive goes on the outer axles only. In the PF motor, the use of an adapted technic axle in the round hole does not allow the central wheel vertical movement. This causes two specific problems:

First one - weight is evenly distributed also on a wheel that has a rubber band (but no traction). This means that the motor has an additional rubbered wheel causing a lot of unneccessary drag.

Second one - the central wheel acts as a fulcrum, so the outer axles to not have all the traction they need. This translates in an unwanted wheel slipping.

I've been thinking for a while on this and I've found that the 3/4 technic pins fit perfectly into the center hole on the PF motors and spin freely. If an alternate 12v-style wheel was made which accepted a technic pin rather than an axle, then it could be used in combination with 3/4 pins for the two center wheels, and the axles could be reserved for the driven wheels. The center wheels, with the added benefit of less friction due to riding on pins instead of axles, might serve well to minimize the drag created by using axles w/ stops, as well as removing the need to trim lego (always a plus).

The 7760 is nearly complete now (still have to attend to the wheels and invest in the larger windows)-

ec0TGQz.jpg

and I've started work on a 7755.

lMN1bot.jpg

While my current electrification setup is all 9v I plan on using the 12v center rail system for these two, in addition to my (currently PF) 3677. Part bb0053 looks like an easy way to add 12v pickups for these motors, and doing so is cheaper than buying 12v (or even 9v) motors.

In other news, here's a WIP tram roughly based on the Konstal N/Kriegstraßenbahnwagen, again built in the 12v style. I am using the bb0053 pickups in conjunction with a PF motor (here subbed out for 9v) for power collection.

Konstal_N.png

The roof is removable as three sections (though the pantograph would have to be removed first). There is currently no interior and decals are forthcoming, however I am fairly pleased with the current design.

On 2/23/2020 at 7:35 PM, DirtPiper said:

In other news, here's a WIP tram roughly based on the Konstal N/Kriegstraßenbahnwagen, again built in the 12v style. I am using the bb0053 pickups in conjunction with a PF motor (here subbed out for 9v) for power collection.

Konstal_N.png

The roof is removable as three sections (though the pantograph would have to be removed first). There is currently no interior and decals are forthcoming, however I am fairly pleased with the current design.

I like it!!! Maybe parts were not all available back in the gray era (not a problem at all) but the overall feeling is right! What about a real 4,5v motor with black wheels? :wink:

Hi all,

a small update on this thread - looking on a Roco catalogue I found a little, interesting wagon, called  "Talbot Gravel wagon with auto-unloading feature".

It was sold to many companies (DR/DB/FS/BR), so it has been widely used. It seemed a nice 7777-like building, since it has the possibility to feature some Technic parts.

Lego DB 12v Talbot Gravel wagons

The opening gate is very similar to the Hopper from 9V era, but re-made with technic parts of the Gray Era.

I hope you like it!!!

Ciao,

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

On 2/7/2020 at 6:16 AM, DirtPiper said:

.. and I am aware that the large wheels do not exist in black... at least, not yet.

Actually, they do. I had two of them, sold them on BL for 50EUR each I think :wink:

Cheers,

Ole