Paperinik77pk

[MOC] 12v and 4,5v trains ideas - let's keep alive the "Gray Era"

Hi all,

in these days I'm particularly concentrated on my 12v collection, therefore I took some old projects I started in Ldraw and then I finalized them in Stud.io.

I've drawn also something new, since I was focused on the building style :laugh:. Normally I concentrate only on trains, but I began to design also vehicles and buildings (starting from Faller , Marklin and other catalogs, and real things of course).

I'm trying to use the most common parts available, in some cases there are a quite expensive ones, but everything can be reworked.

I will add other designs here as soon as they are ready.

So , let's start with the "diesel parade"! :laugh:

The first one is a DB V200,pulling a classic train of the late 60s - it was an old LDRAW work, completely reworked. Now the engine bay is detailed and the cabin is completed. Wagons are all new (as you can see, they lack a small stripe on the doors - a sticker will do the job. Wagons do not use the classic 6x28 train plate, since these are becoming rare and expensive.

DB V200 - Consist - Era III - 12v

Here below,  another locomotive (new work)  with a quite unusual chassis for a 12v train: the DB V140. The two bogies are articulated and can steer (more or less like big Lego locomotives of the 70s)

Db V140 - Era III - 12v

The original one could also be in blue, but the windows and doors would have been very rare and expensive - therefore I chose the red livery. This locomotive features some parts available in the second part of the Gray Era.

The third diesel locomotive is the V100, in its older livery. I already prepared this one some months ago, but it is now complete. This can also be built in red, without white lines.

DB V100 -  Consist - Era III/IV - 12v

Here it is coupled to some Umbauwagen 3yg in red/white. The wagons are a rework of an older design, already shown in Eurobricks some time ago.:wink:

The fourth diesel machine is the red DB V80. It is based on the same chassis of the V200, and somehow it's similar in some details.

DB V80 12v - Consist - Era III/IV - 12v

The 7777 auto-unloading cars are a perfect fit for this machine.

For the moment there are no more Diesel locomotives to show. The small DB V60 is already represented by the great, original 7760! :wub:

Now, let's leave the diesel world and take a step back in time with a simplified representation of a small steamer, the BR98 "Glaskasten":

DB BR98 "Glaskasten" - Consist - Era II - 12v

Since my first design needed a lot of 2x2 black windows and four rare 2x1 black windows (which are the most expensive parts on Ebay), I had to rethink it, starting from the simple (and still affordable for 12v fans) Lego 7810 and adding a pair of black side doors. It is not so faithful to the original locomotive from this point of view, but at least it's possible to build it. Wagons are longbed two axles, but the inter-axle distance is the same as standard Lego two axle wagons, so they have no problems with curves. The blue one should have been green, but it was not a common color in the 80s.:laugh:

Let me know what you think!

Ciao,

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Excellent creations! I'm becoming familiar with these trains since I'm studying in Germany.

I'm currently working on French trains in 12V style, using only parts availlable at the time too, so this is a really tricky challenge to complete. The V200 is superb, given its tricky nose! It's good to see the dinstinctive pattern brick-built. I would just suggest you to use green at least, and maybe old Dk.Gray to be even closer to the original models. Especially for the Donnerwagen. These parts were availlable at the time, but not for everyone. :)

I hope you will continue making 12V trains live with other great models!

19 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Wow, every train has its own history and you've done a great work!

I love your BR98, second and third place for the DB V200 and the DB V140 :wub::wub::wub:

Your collection is growing up :thumbup:

Thanks Emanuele - you know I always appreciate your feedbacks! :wink::sweet:

1 hour ago, Evans said:

Excellent creations! I'm becoming familiar with these trains since I'm studying in Germany.

I'm currently working on French trains in 12V style, using only parts availlable at the time too, so this is a really tricky challenge to complete. The V200 is superb, given its tricky nose! It's good to see the dinstinctive pattern brick-built. I would just suggest you to use green at least, and maybe old Dk.Gray to be even closer to the original models. Especially for the Donnerwagen. These parts were availlable at the time, but not for everyone. :)

I hope you will continue making 12V trains live with other great models!

Thank you! Good to know you're also working on 12v MOCs - French locomotives are a bit tricky (especially the "broken nose" ones). I was thinking today about the cc68000 - but I still have to figure out how to make it. I was looking also to the SJ RC6 locomotives, which are very nice!

I'll continue with these designs, because it's really relaxing for me. I somehow feel "at home" in the gray era :wub:

51 minutes ago, Feuer Zug said:

Good looking train sets. They fit the period really well and are quite fitting to the real trains.

Thank you! I'm doing some research on H0 catalogs - so I can build wagons and locomotives that fit well together. My problem is only the limited numer of colors - for example all early Italian electric locomotives are a mess since they were in two-tone brown :angry: . But there's plenty of European locomotives and wagons that can be replicated , so I potentially have "infinite possibilities" (pun intended) :wink:

22 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

Oooh, nice models! Very cool tribute to the 12v era! :thumbup:

Thank you very much!!! :sweet:

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Hi there, I add the new Signal Tower building, just finished:

Signal Tower

Signal Tower

Very simple and easy to build, it is modeled after a Signal tower I found on a Faller catalogue. The roof is blue since the 30° black roof slopes were available at the time, but not the finishing top ones. And 45° slopes were not giving the same feeling. I put the "STATION" trans-red brick on one side - since it could be used with a light brick. Using plain trans-red bricks and a decal with the name of the town could be a nice custom touch.

I'm trying to create dioramas like in 7777, making my old PC to work over its possibilities :damn::laugh:.

Hope you like it! :laugh:

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Hi all, another addition to the buildings family - the level crossing :laugh:

Manual Level Crossing

Also this one features the classic mix between train stuff and Technic, in order to control the opening / closing of the two gates.

Manual Level Crossing

The two gates are controlled from this wheel on the back of the house. Two cables (one for each gate) are wrapped around a pulley, making them to open (like a crane movement). the lever allows the gates to remain in open position.

Probably the gates will need a small rubber band as an help to return on closed position (even if I believe gravity should be sufficient for a smooth operation) :sweet:

I used a lot of "oldgray" parts in this rendition, but all were quite available at the time.

Ciao!

Davide

Just now, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

What a beautiful render: these pictures are better than those published on the idea book! :thumbup:

I like also the old yellow car ...it seems just popped out from a 1978 catalog :excited:

Thanks Emanuele!!!

I was waiting for you on that car :wink: - It was a rework of the Fire Chief car from 1978 I used it when I was a child (in white, with a "53" number written on the doors and hood!).

More stuff is coming on next days!!!  :classic:

Hello and Happy New Year to all of you!!! :classic:

Yesterday I left the computer alone working on some renderings of another steamer which I particularly like. I had the luck to travel on this big lady here in Italy, since we have one of these (number 3673) used for historical trains.

It is the big BR50, which I tried to replicate in 12v style:

Lego BR50_058_KabinTender 12v

Since the BR50 was made with different body styles, I've taken two specific models - the number 058 - which features the "naked" nose (above picture), and the number 622, which had a more aerodynamic and refined body on the front (below picture). One curiosity: the Italian one is similar to the 622, but some details are a bit different.

Lego BR50_622_Left 12v

The 058 and the 622 are the same, only the front bogie and buffers are a bit different between the two models.

Two styles for the tender: The KabinTender....

Lego BR50_058_KabinTender_Rear 12v

... and the normal long tender (the same I saw here in Italy):

Lego BR50 622_Rear 12v

the KabinTender is a bit different from the original one. For example, black doors are bigger than they should be, but they add a bit of playability to the whole model, therefore I kept them. :laugh:

Unluckily,like all 7730/7750 derivated locomotives, this one is extremely expensive to build, due to some specific parts (1x2 and 2x2 black windows,red motor and buffers, 5 pairs of big wheels).:hmpf_bad:

NOTE - All pictures were replaced with new renderings, after a correction suggested by @LEGO Train 12 Volts

I hope you like it! :laugh:

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

1 hour ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Hello and Happy New Year to all! of you!!! :classic:

Unluckily,like all 7730/7750 derivated locomotives, this one is extremely expensive to build, due to some specific parts (1x2 and 2x2 black windows,red motor and buffers, 5 pairs of big wheels).:hmpf_bad:

Happy New Year, these are all very nice renderings... we could be looking at an early '80s catalogue! Although I bet at the time they would have made that level crossing 4.5v with all the new gizmos thrown at 12v layouts.

Just in case you get tempted, I'm sure you also know you don't want to build the BR50 as it won't make it round curves with so many fixed drivers?

The red cargo also might have a wheel jamming problem as the bogies are built right up to the baseplate.

3 hours ago, bricks n bolts said:

Happy New Year, these are all very nice renderings... we could be looking at an early '80s catalogue! Although I bet at the time they would have made that level crossing 4.5v with all the new gizmos thrown at 12v layouts.

Just in case you get tempted, I'm sure you also know you don't want to build the BR50 as it won't make it round curves with so many fixed drivers?

The red cargo also might have a wheel jamming problem as the bogies are built right up to the baseplate.

Hi, thanks!

I agree, the level crossing can be easily moved by a 4,5v motor, controlled by one of the 12v switches (attached to a 4,5v battery box). It is a good idea, and I think it's feasible.:classic:

Currently the BR50 lomotive has been drawn with a specific articulation system, which is similar to the one I used on the Umbauwagen 3yg wagons and on my BR78 12v. It has two main bogies (the front one and the rear one in yellow). The central bogie (blue) is connected to the two main bogies (green parts) and can move move sideways and turn slightly. I have to test it on points, but it should work. Just in case, I can split the central bogie and convert it in two swinging axles connected to the main bogies.:grin:

BR50 Articulation

The locomotive has not a proper chassis ,  basically - the body features a backbone made by Technic bricks. So the bogies can freely move underneath.

For "red cargo" do you mean the V80 or the V140? 

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Wow, that's tight, nicely worked out. You managed to gram a lot in there. Never had those big wheels (and too expensive now) so not sure what they are like on points.

16 minutes ago, Paperinik77pk said:

For "red cargo" do you mean the V80 or the V140? 

The V80, although I think I see what you have done there now too (was looking at the rendering further down), the magnet holders are connected to the baseplate rather than the motor bogies themselves which is what I first thought.. so we are good.

15 minutes ago, bricks n bolts said:

Wow, that's tight, nicely worked out. You managed to gram a lot in there. Never had those big wheels (and too expensive now) so not sure what they are like on points.

The V80, although I think I see what you have done there now too (was looking at the rendering further down), the magnet holders are connected to the baseplate rather than the motor bogies themselves which is what I first thought.. so we are good.

Thanks! With these big wheels I've always started from the solution shown  on big steamer featured in 7777 book, and then re-worked it a bit. A lot of trial and error is always the way to manage it properly.

The V80 is based on the 6x28 classic plate - the bogies are connected to the outer holes, so there's a bit of room in the middle of the undercarriage. The buffers are connected to the bogies, and tilt normally. I used two tiles near the buffer , so the whole thing can slide properly without problems :wink:.

The V200 uses the same solution, and also the V100  does, more or less :laugh:

This is totally cool and the cabine tender is simply lovely! :excited:

The only thing I would change in the BR50 is the light gray plate which (in my opinion) is out of place.

Great work and beautiful rendering! :wub:

19 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

This is totally cool and the cabine tender is simply lovely! :excited:

The only thing I would change in the BR50 is the light gray plate which (in my opinion) is out of place.

Great work and beautiful rendering! :wub:

Suggestions are always welcome... :head_back: 

...and accepted!!!  Yes - that gray bar wanted to replicate a part over the cylinders, but there was no room to recreate that detail ...so I removed it. Plus, I redesigned a bit the cylinders on the naked version and added a detail under the cabin of both versions. Thank you!!!:thumbup:

Lego BR50 058_nose 12v

On 1/1/2020 at 3:24 PM, Pdaitabird said:

Love those BR50s! :wub_drool: It's amazing how much detail you've included in the 12v style!

I forgot to thank you!!! :laugh:

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Hi there!

After a lot of diesels and a pair of steamers, it's time for a small electric locomotive I've always loved (I had a Lima H0 model years ago),  the DB E69.

Since this locomotive was made in different styles, I chose the one which was totally different from the others, the number 005 with high bonnets.

This is due to the fact I wanted something different from the original 7720 - for which I've a personal, unlimited respect - yet I wanted to keep some things of it (like the 4,5v motor).

Lego DB E69_005

Some parts (red round 1x1 plates) make it a "phase 2" of the Gray Era.

As some of you surely noticed... :laugh: ... the wheelbase is longer than the original one of the 7720. Well, no secrets here, the locomotive is 2WD only (rear side - the one marked with "2" stickers). In order to increase traction, I put a red weight brick under the rear bonnet, directly over the wheels. I used a SNOT trick for the snowplows, using 1x1 lamp holders.

Like the 7720 it needs an external battery box or wagon to work, and unlike the 7720, it cannot be transformed with a 12v old motor, since the power pickup bricks would not touch the central rail in a proper way, due to the longer wheelbase.

The central headlight under the roof can be lighten up with a 4,5v light brick (which will illuminate the cabin aswell) :wink:

Wheels can be black or red - I personally like them in red :laugh:

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Hi all,

after some locomotives, I come back with trackside  buildings again. In this case, having a big steamer ready, I needed to create a small diorama for it.

I have to admit, I've blatantly copied the idea from 7777 book :iamded_lol:!

Water and Sanding station

And here it is, a water and sanding station, inspired by Faller catalogue. The two water  pipes rotate and can serve both sides of the platform. Near them, the two stoves used to pre-heat the water.

The sanding tower can be of any colour, I made it blue to resemble the 7777 crane featured in the coaling station. I tried it also in black and red.

Water and Sanding station

I still miss to recreate the coaling station, but I'm working on it :laugh:

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Hi all, after a bit of trial and error (plus some testing of the bogies in real life), here's another German electric locomotive, the DB E194 :wub_drool::

DB E194 12v - Consist_2

I made it after seeing the 9v 4551 (which is one of the most nice 9v sets, in my opinion). This one is quite different, since it is based on an older version of this locomotive, which has some specific details (e.g. the headlights shape and position, the pantographs).  It's the version I personally like more. :wub:

The bogies are created in another way since the motor is under the rear "nose" and not under the main body. The inner wheels are attached to small swinging bogies.

The pivoting point of the "noses" is immediately under the front windows. :sweet:

DB E194 12v - Consist

It's a very expensive machine, due to the blue shutter holders , which are quite rare. The nose above the motor cannot fit a weight brick inside,since there would be no room for the light brick. Therefore the traction could be improved using some heavy metal bolts - it's a DIY solution, but it can work :iamded_lol:

Ciao!

Davide

Excellent locomotive, very nice that you have built such a specific motor configuration. Have you led real life trials to see how well it stays on track?

I love the roof shape, with the 1xX plates on the sides and the 4xX plates between. It gives a nice curved look. So I believe only the 4 wide part of the roof is removable?

Nice to see a whole train with these tank cars, I made a similar design with Total branding. But I used 1x4x1 lattriced fences instead of the plates assemblies for the roof raillings.