lech

[MOC] The 19th Century Museum of Science and Technology

Hi

I would like to proudly present you my latest project The 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology on which I have been working for the past 18 months. It took a long time and a countless number of rebuilds because I was trying to polish every detail until I was satisfied with it. One of my main passions in building is the geometry, more complex the better and the one that I wanted to incorporate into this project also contributed to the extend time period and parts required to finish it the way I wanted to :) The most eye-caching examples of it can be found on the slanted foundations with cut corners, round small building and gazebo, rounded main entrance, concave conical roofs and the main dome. In every building there is a interior - the walls are double sided and floors are tiled. I didn't kept the pieces count but if I were to estimate I would say that it took approximately 120-130k pieces - it is a very dense build...

I tried to take photos of most of the details so I hope that you will enjoy them :)

"It's early July, 1869 and the staff at the Midgard's National Museum of  Science and Technology are hard at work preparing for the Steam Exhibition. The most prominent exhibits just started to arrive, the so called Steam Frogs, Midgard's first steam cars..."

49246245081_6ba13a944d_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49246244666_6af42b5b3e_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - Overview by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49246452422_0e5a8184ea_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - Steam cars arrived by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49245773218_b76d41e47b_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - Center by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49246451827_660a688f44_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - Left side of the main entrance by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49246451662_85e6f501e7_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - Right side of the main entrance by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49246242376_fd2ee25364_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - Crowd at the main entrance by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49246451177_f4cce79149_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - Main entrance by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49246450257_fa58a96649_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - Basement by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49246241046_7b6f84208e_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - First floor by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49246449087_900636e22d_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - Second floor by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49246238316_07691cfc69_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - Third floor by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49246446642_3cac8435a8_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology -  The attic and dome's drum by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49246446082_802171a1b3_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - The roofs by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49246445582_ae246a2c7b_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - First floor interior by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49246444642_b211691cd2_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - Interior and the main staircase by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49246235171_e55a34967d_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - Interior by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49246443597_a5112d1c99_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - Attic interior by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49245763488_f303cb0fa9_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - West wing by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49246233476_49d18e5d22_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - Small house at the west wing by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49245760543_45e04464bb_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - West wing details by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49245760198_f017d32715_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - Steam car on the west flyover by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49246229976_d0da617de8_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - The worker making some final touches by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49246437722_322eafedea_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - Back of the west wing by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49245758273_37e945efa1_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - Swap next to the west flyover by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49245757878_b1459e3980_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - West flyover by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49245756898_f52730fe00_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - East wing by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49245755478_3b476d614a_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - Gazebo by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49246225376_dee66afe35_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - East wing with the gazebo by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49245754193_7208819930_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - East flyover by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49245753533_72aacab41f_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - Back of the east wing by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49245753078_0acb7af8a9_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - Back of the east wing by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

49246431387_69df01ee1d_c.jpgThe 19th Century Museum of  Science and Technology - The back by Lech Kulina, on Flickr

Best regards

lech

Edited by lech

You really have a reason to be proud! It is huge! So many nice details. How many bricks do you estimate it to have?

26 minutes ago, JopieK said:

You really have a reason to be proud! It is huge! So many nice details. How many bricks do you estimate it to have?

Many thanks JopieK! I estimate that it took approximately 160k pieces. For fact I know that only the rectangular windows on the main building took more than 20k :)

Best regards

lech

I have been watching your progress on this since I started following you, it's been incredible the whole way and the final build is absolutely astounding. This is one of the greatest Lego builds I've ever seen. This is one for the ages. This will be inspiration for thousands forever. You have done some of the most fascinating work, well done!

Marvellous, both in its grand scale but also in the many details, especially the automobiles.

That is a great start for a new member here at Eurobricks.

I hope we do not have to wait 18 months to see your next creation.

This is one of the most impressive LEGO builds I have seen for a long, long time. The size, the attention to detail, the tecniques... everything just comes together magnificently. Amazing!

17 hours ago, koalayummies said:

I have been watching your progress on this since I started following you, it's been incredible the whole way and the final build is absolutely astounding. This is one of the greatest Lego builds I've ever seen. This is one for the ages. This will be inspiration for thousands forever. You have done some of the most fascinating work, well done!

You are too kind koalayummies :) Thank you!

8 hours ago, frumpy said:

What a fantastic build!! Great details in this build. Simply amazing.

Many thanks frumpy!

7 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Marvellous, both in its grand scale but also in the many details, especially the automobiles.

That is a great start for a new member here at Eurobricks.

I hope we do not have to wait 18 months to see your next creation.

Many thanks CB! I doubt that because the museum takes almost entire space that I have available for display therefore until I disassemble it I can only build smaller MOCs :)

2 hours ago, peedeejay said:

Impressive build!

Thanks peedeejay :)

2 hours ago, Hive said:

This is one of the most impressive LEGO builds I have seen for a long, long time. The size, the attention to detail, the tecniques... everything just comes together magnificently. Amazing!

Many thanks Hive I'm glad that you like it :)

Best regards

lech

Edited by lech

I kept half an eye on this as you developed it on Flickr, mostly because of the breathtaking dome, but there are many other details to appreciate. The trees, the window frames, the interior decoration: all wonderful.

Quite impressive!:thumbup::classic: I especially like the roof designs and the angles on the staircase. Overall amazing, well done!

(Moved it the Special Themes forum, as this belongs more to steampunk.)

18 hours ago, miniman said:

Amazing! :thumbup:

Thanks miniman :)

17 hours ago, jimmynick said:

I kept half an eye on this as you developed it on Flickr, mostly because of the breathtaking dome, but there are many other details to appreciate. The trees, the window frames, the interior decoration: all wonderful.

Many thaks jimmynick for following the project :)

15 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Astonishing!!! :wub_drool:

Thanks LT12V :)

1 hour ago, Ecclesiastes said:

Quite impressive!:thumbup::classic: I especially like the roof designs and the angles on the staircase. Overall amazing, well done!

(Moved it the Special Themes forum, as this belongs more to steampunk.)

Many thanks Ecclesiastes for moving the topic, I was quite puzzled where to post it.
I'm really glad that you like the roofs as these are also one on my favorite parts of the MOC :)

Best regards

lech

Edited by lech

Wow, that's a most impressive piece. Great subject for a build, and you capture the time period beautifully, not only in the architecture, but details like gas lamps, the winch on the roof, the steam driven cars, not to mention copious amounts of wrought-iron railings and trim, and the well-attired minifigs inhabiting the Museum grounds. The modularity of the Museum is well done, as well. It makes me wish and hope that LEGO will give us a proper museum Expert Creator Modular Building set. Hopefully, this inspires some of those designers. Great work!

Magnificent! You need to show it somewhere live, I would even have some suggestions close to you ;)

OMG, it is amazing building. I can see how much time and effort(plus money) you put in this project. Excellent excellent work!

On 12/24/2019 at 2:59 PM, Merlict said:

Man  I bet this is even cooler in person, hard  to enjoy all the details in pics. 

Very cool.

Thanks Merlict, as it's true with most the of the MOCs, they always look better in real life :) I only hope that the photos do justice to it because it was not an easy task for me to photograph it. I have quite limited space in my apartment and with the backdrop being 2,6m wide I had to reassemble and move it from one place to another 6 times. It was task on its own :)

On 12/24/2019 at 6:19 PM, M'Kyuun said:

Wow, that's a most impressive piece. Great subject for a build, and you capture the time period beautifully, not only in the architecture, but details like gas lamps, the winch on the roof, the steam driven cars, not to mention copious amounts of wrought-iron railings and trim, and the well-attired minifigs inhabiting the Museum grounds. The modularity of the Museum is well done, as well. It makes me wish and hope that LEGO will give us a proper museum Expert Creator Modular Building set. Hopefully, this inspires some of those designers. Great work!

Many thanks MK! I had a blast making these steam cars. I based the design on Steam Buggy - first Canadian steam car. Modular Museum sounds great to me as well :)

22 hours ago, Mestari said:

Magnificent! You need to show it somewhere live, I would even have some suggestions close to you ;)

Thanks Mestair, although theoretically it is possible to transport this entire thing (it is highly modular) - I do not plan to showcase it live, at least right now. I must admit that the logistics behind such an endeavor is a little bit terrifying for me ;)

1 hour ago, bricksboy said:

OMG, it is amazing building. I can see how much time and effort(plus money) you put in this project. Excellent excellent work!

Many thanks BB, oh yeah it was a labour of love for quite a long time :)

Best regards

lech

Edited by lech

Simply amazing. The interior is even better then the exterior. The color choice is stunning. I like the way you made the windows with the clear 1x2 plates, will use that idea for bathroom windows in the future.

I failed to ask, is this a real or fictional edifice? I did a quick search and found no matches to Midgard's National Museum of Science and Technology, so I'm guessing it's completely out of your head, which makes it all the more impressive. In my earlier post, I was so awestruck by all the minutiae you put in the model, that I forgot to remark on those stunning angular supports for the external staircases- just gorgeous. On the whole, a masterpiece of period architecture. 

On 12/26/2019 at 10:26 AM, mukkes said:

Simply amazing. The interior is even better then the exterior. The color choice is stunning. I like the way you made the windows with the clear 1x2 plates, will use that idea for bathroom windows in the future.

Thanks mukkes :) The windows on the main building are actually made from (when looked from left to right): 1 trans-clear plate placed vertically, 3 columns of 1x1 trans-clear bricks (for the wider 6 studs windows or 1 column for narrower 4 studs ones) and again a trans-clear plate placed vertically.

On 12/26/2019 at 1:45 PM, Magic Edutainer said:

Impressive. Most impressive.

Thanks ME :)

1 hour ago, M'Kyuun said:

I failed to ask, is this a real or fictional edifice? I did a quick search and found no matches to Midgard's National Museum of Science and Technology, so I'm guessing it's completely out of your head, which makes it all the more impressive. In my earlier post, I was so awestruck by all the minutiae you put in the model, that I forgot to remark on those stunning angular supports for the external staircases- just gorgeous. On the whole, a masterpiece of period architecture. 

Again many thanks MK :) I'm also quite satisfied how the staircases/flyovers turned out.

It's purely fictional with Midgard being a little reference to Midgardia from Guilds of Historica :)

The architecture style for the main building is based on neoclassicism style but I had several sources of insipiration while building, mainly:
a) for the rounded main entrance (this part t started the whole project) from Storting building (Oslo) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storting_building
b) for the fundations from Fishermans bastion (Budapeszt) https://budapestconnection.com/fishermans-bastion/
c) for the balconies above the east and west entrances from the Colorado State Capitol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_State_Capitol

Best regards

lech

Edited by lech

Marvelous. I do believe I know now how I'd like to maintain a house of my own. The basement and the floors all managed to not be too intricate/explicit as if a noble man that has a High School love managed to prove that life is of course an everlasting endearment.