yatahaze

Starting SW collection

Ho to everybody I am an old star wars fan and i would like to begin a new collection for me and my little child. I would like to buy many sets, little, medium and one  or two big of the first 6 Movies. Can you please suggest me some mandatory sets for a collection also out of production? 

For example I really like the Ewok village and Jabba’s palace

Thank you

Edited by yatahaze

75218 X-wing and 75211 Tie Fighter would be obvious choices to start with. 75257 Millennium Falcon is also the best minifig scale Falcon. A suggestion for a retired set might be 75094 Imperial Shuttle.

millennium falcon 7965 is not better than newer 75257?

75257 has also the newest mini figures of the last episodes

7 hours ago, yatahaze said:

millennium falcon 7965 is not better than newer 75257?

It's a matter of opinion, but I agree that 75257 is a very good Falcon set.

8 hours ago, Paul11283652 said:

A suggestion for a retired set might be 75094 Imperial Shuttle.

I 2nd this!  I think this one is a must-have.  It's one of my favorite Star Wars sets of all time; a great balance of size, built techniques, playability, etc..

You can't go wrong with a death star

A republic gunship is also a must have, (75021 or 7676) and maybe the most recent Jedi starfighter too

4 hours ago, Reaper said:

and maybe the most recent Jedi starfighter too

which set? thanks

anything other retired set suggested?

1 hour ago, yatahaze said:

which set? thanks

anything other retired set suggested?

this is only my opinion:

your question was about choosing some sets to have a your own collection playable with your child... but it seems ou want understand what retired sets got prestige...

for a personalcollection, and the same for a child playing collection, i think the better choiche you can do is to see all the sets published and choose by your own what is the best for you... because is your collection.. for example for me maybe one set s the best, but for you not... you will buy that set because i said it is the most beautyfull? for another example... if i want buy a millennium falcon, i would buy the 75105 (that i think is the best) and than i will buy the minifigs to obtain the original trilogy crew...

i really think you must choose some sets you like, taking in mind your preferences abut factions, details etc... and the preferences of your child too

maybe, when you choosed one set, you can ask if the community think this set is a good playable set... but we cant choose sets for your collection...

i repeat, this is my opinion, but i really not understand why asking us to choose for you...

if you wan see all the sets published, go to bricklink site and you can see them all

1 minute ago, Rustinidiel said:

and than i will buy the minifigs to obtain the original trilogy crew...

hi and thanks for contributing first.

yes of course you are right, I have to choose the sets I like more. I put together two different questions. I wanted some suggestion on which sets at least should be in one (little) collection, and also the most "precious", "rare" or "desired"

of course after the suggestions I will buy the ones I prefer

P.S. how normally do you search the minifigs to add to a specific set?

thanks

11 hours ago, yatahaze said:

P.S. how normally do you search the minifigs to add to a specific set?

You can find all the star wars minifigures on bricklink

Imperial Shuttle 10212 is one of the greatest Lego sets every imo, thats my recommendation. Republic fighter tank 7679 is also a really cool set thats a bit smaller.

30 minutes ago, yatahaze said:

What about the Death Star, which one, 10188 or 75159?

is the same thing... what do YOU prefer?

why buy what WE prefer? is a nonsense for me

and for the suggestion of what sets are essential for a collecction... depends: someone prefers little sets, someone bigger... someone prefers minifig scale sets, someone prefers UCS scale... someone prefers old school style, some other prefers new ones... someone prefers light side sets, someone dark side... and there are some people not want original one but prefers buy parts to make their own sets...

i really not understand your point:

-if you really want make a collection... buy what YOU prefer, with your taste...

-if you want know the prestige of some sets, why? but anyway... go to bricklink, high price means high prestige in the most of cases

Edited by Rustinidiel

Ok I understood your point....you're right. but for example for the death star, I suppose they are mostly the same, so I have the doubt....

2 hours ago, yatahaze said:

Ok I understood your point....you're right. but for example for the death star, I suppose they are mostly the same, so I have the doubt....

the two Death Star are different... and the difference dont make one better than the other... are different...

one is newer, but a lot of people like more the old one... if you really want understand the differences, there are a lot of comparsion on internet, here on eurobricks too...

but the point is another... asking "what Death Star you guys prefer?" dont make you understand what YOU would prefer...

"What differences the two sets got eachother?" is a good question to understand what YOU prefer... but i repeat, this forum and the internet also are plenty of reviews about it...

your not seems a question of one who wants make a personal collection... seems a question of one person who want understand what sets are more prestigiable to make a "reselling" business... and it is would not a bad thing... but if someone make a question for helping him with a personal collection for him and his child... he must make different question, not like yours

"What differences the two sets got eachother? was implicit in my question I think, and if I understand why you prefer one or the other, I can decide which is the best for me.

I looked at this video, interesting, I have to say that in general 75159 minifigures are better, but in a couple of cases 10188 are better, unfortunately you can'y mix them :-)))

As your little one age their interest will change.

Young children need a good pile of bricks to free-build and accessories like rope, ladders, levers. I think if you get an Ewok Village set or two (doesn't need to be mint condition, as kids don't care), or even mix in parts from city/ideas sets. They would be entertained for hours. Honestly children find Star Wars color scheme rather dull: most sets are gray, black, and white.

The Naboo Starfighter is probably the one set from the prequels that is the most memorable and recognizable. You can brick-build a squadron of droid-ships from any old brick pile and have lots of fun.

+1 on the X-Wing and TIE Fighter recommendations. There is a Vader's TIE that comes with a Rebel's A-Wing (75150)  You'll want that to recreate the "trench run" sequence.

Older children will appreciate the story of Luke and Vader. For that you'll want the 75222 Betrayal at Cloud City (or if not, make a MOC of the sensor array section). The 75093 Death Star Final Duel helps you recreate the end of the 6-movie saga. You might want to add 75208 Yoda's Hut just so Luke can train to be a Jedi.

When I was an adolescent, I wanted to build my own Millennium Falcon. Frankly the MOC you'll find on Eurobricks are amazing, and I think it would be a cool project to help your child build their favorite vehicle or scene "from scratch" (Do support them if they rather build a swiming pool instead of a spaceship!)

Edited by dream-in-bricks

Just my two cents...

For small children I would start with simpler sets like the micro fighters and up to 29,99 sets. Build complexity is good for them and they have fairly good minifigs. 

Then, for you, I would pick up the last Death Star. You will be able to show your children what could be built with Lego, they could help you at times to build or just to play, and it has a lot of updated minifigs and places for them to play with. 
In addition, micro fighters fit well with the Death Star. 

Edited by dvogon