Jim

[TC17] Technic Mad Max Contest - Information Topic

I have a question regarding Mad Max in general, I did not see the movies.  

Are the vehicles weaponized or are they just a weird combination of vehicles to make a more capable vehicle?

Depending on the answer, should this contest focus on a true Mad Max style car OR a general post-apocalyptic vehicle?

If you go on YouTube and search for Mad Max Fury Road that should show you some in the trailer from the recent film. Or search Mad Max PlayStation vehicles again on YouTube and that will show cars from the computer game.

the vehicles are odd ... some are multiple vehicles joined together, some have massive engines and wheels, some are covered in spikes

sorry for not finding the links I’m still at my desk in work

When I started designing I only skimmed the rules so missed the part about no cutting... however now my tank has an auto loading, shell ejecting, case powered spear launcher; perfect fit for a mad max theme. (I'm using the new(ish) style spring launchers which are almost worthless on bricklink  even with 3 pieces and one being a spring). A good idea for mad max is always repurpose, no tracked vehicles then build one with cut up car chassis hence double wishbone suspended tracks. Mad max also seams to lack building and food equipment, time for the offscreen vehicles to make an appearance?    

Just out of curiosity, @Jim, you said that modding a set was frowned upon. What if someone took several different sets and combined them. That is how the vehicles of mad max were actually built, right? Say, someone took the body of 42050 and placed it on the chassis of 9398, with the tow boom of 8285 sticking out the back. That would not necessarily be a moc, but would not be a mod either.

44 minutes ago, The_Tinkerer said:

Just out of curiosity, @Jim, you said that modding a set was frowned upon. What if someone took several different sets and combined them. That is how the vehicles of mad max were actually built, right? Say, someone took the body of 42050 and placed it on the chassis of 9398, with the tow boom of 8285 sticking out the back. That would not necessarily be a moc, but would not be a mod either.

Just out of curiosity; what do you think my answer will be? :wink: 

I am guessing that it would be fine, but I am still going to finish my tracked snow dune flying buggy. Still need to come up with a name for it.

Your guess was wrong. A contest is not about copying (un)official models. Please come up with something original.

Sorry, I am still somewhat new here. I have my own MOC over 95% done, and it is 1% copied from an official set. I stole the zoomie headers from Emmett's escape buggy.

I can live with 1% copy :wink: 

Remember that your MOC can’t have been posted somewhere before the contest.

Wow time has gone by fast, I just realized the last MOC I built was for TC15, and that was about a year ago! *huh*

Hopefully I'll have time to enter, I've got a few nice ideas this time... :sweet:

I have a question. I want to try to take part in the competition, but I will have free time only in the last week. Is there any limit when it’s not too late to create a forum topic with construction progress? For example, if I create a topic after February 15, will it be by the rules?

@Jim should be able to clarify

but it should look like a Technic model and not a Model Team or System one. So think of System content for little bits of detail and not the main part of the model. Use models like the Land Rover Defender or Mack Truck as examples of what is Technic

On 2/3/2020 at 11:28 AM, MangaNOID said:

hey @Jim, is bending of 3mm rigid hose permitted? as in, bending it in hot water so it keeps its bent shape.

thanks.

ok disregard the stupid question.

I didn't realise that there was a part that would do what I wanted legitimately.

Reading through the various WIP threads it’s obvious that a lot of people haven’t seen the movies (originals or fury road) or played the recent-ish game as they Mad Max world doesn’t have zombies. But it does have hordes or marauding gangs that the weaponry would be equally effective against.

3 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Reading through the various WIP threads it’s obvious that a lot of people haven’t seen the movies (originals or fury road) or played the recent-ish game as they Mad Max world doesn’t have zombies. But it does have hordes or marauding gangs that the weaponry would be equally effective against.

Just read the contest rules. "Build yourself a vehicle to survive the wastelands of a near-future post-apocalyptic world. Road, sea, air, whatever you think is best to improve your odds for survival." In Fury Road were no sea, no aircrafts, but the contest is a bit wider.

Just now, desert752 said:

Just read the contest rules. "Build yourself a vehicle to survive the wastelands of a near-future post-apocalyptic world. Road, sea, air, whatever you think is best to improve your odds for survival." In Fury Road were no sea, no aircrafts, but the contest is a bit wider.

It was just a general observation from me that’s all, not meant to be a criticism, I like pretty much everyone’s entries so far. They’re all very odd ball in their own way. It was a bit of a morning brain dump while having 1st coffee of the day.

As to the rules ... actually in mad max world aircraft do exist. In the third film (thunderdome) and I think the second there is a small light aircraft.

I did also wonder if my Fishing Warrior would be Madmax enough for an entry as its not set up to be a murdering marauder. But also in Madmax world someone has to be civil and catch some food to eat :classic:

I think a post apocalyptic world has quite a large varied scope even though madmax is in the title theme. And maybe what we call zombies are really just very hungry people that would eat anything…and really just need some fresh fish

I think the variety in vehicule looks in the different movies allow for enough freedom in MOC styling...

Look at the pursuit specials in Mad Max 1 (lean, clean, well maintained service cars) vs. fury road's spike cars (rusty, kludgy piece of screaming metal). 

There's no need to add extra elements like shark tornadoes or zombies, imo. But whatever, the looks of a post apocalyptic vehicule aimed at fighting zombies still is largely compatible with the Mad Max universe, I guess.