2mpaired

[MOC] Imperial Star Destroyer - The Eviscerator

Welcome to the forums!

I'm skipping around in the instructions, building all sorts of random sub-assemblies out of order.  Any Technic liftarm can be pretty much any color you want.  About the only exception being the L-shaped black liftarms that are sandwiched between the pillar halves of the display stand.  Everything else is well concealed.  In fact, I would go as far as to say that any color other than black and light grey (LBG) can be substituted.  Personally, I'm thankful for color differences in the instructions here and there - makes building a bit easier.

Also, I'm using an extensive mixture of 'old' light grey and light blueish grey for a weathered look.  I really like the results.

Finally, I found it very helpful to browse through all the instruction books ahead of building to get a sense of what's hidden, and what's on full display - your questions will definitely be answered.  Have fun!

On 1/24/2021 at 6:00 AM, lowlead said:

I'm skipping around in the instructions, building all sorts of random sub-assemblies out of order.  Any Technic liftarm can be pretty much any color you want.  About the only exception being the L-shaped black liftarms that are sandwiched between the pillar halves of the display stand.  Everything else is well concealed.  In fact, I would go as far as to say that any color other than black and light grey (LBG) can be substituted.  Personally, I'm thankful for color differences in the instructions here and there - makes building a bit easier.

Thank you for this information.  That's roughly what I assumed based the finished model, but it's great to get confirmation from someone who is further along in the process!

I've been digging around the manual and I still can't find the 2 LBG turntables. But to your point, I thin I can easily swap those for LG.

I really appreciate your insight!

10 hours ago, salaciouscrumbphd said:

Thank you for this information.  That's roughly what I assumed based the finished model, but it's great to get confirmation from someone who is further along in the process!

I've been digging around the manual and I still can't find the 2 LBG turntables. But to your point, I thin I can easily swap those for LG.

I really appreciate your insight!

I think you are saying the turntable base? 3680 ? If so, that must be an older parts list. I've sent an updated one to brickvault just in case. But the build does not call for those bases. It did in one of the earlier versions, but because it was so rare, I just threw a 2x2 plate there instead. It was originally making the tractor beam arrays on the bottom spin. Kind of a pointless feature for the price of that piece.

Hello 2mpaired!

While you're around, allow me to thank you again for making these instructions available through BrickVault!  It's an incredible achievement and proved a most challenging project, for sure!

Your internal frame design is a true masterpiece of over-engineering :head_back: and it's very satisfying to know that it would support just about anything!  All the external detail would occasionally become tedious and rather delicate in certain areas, but the final payoff is well worth the effort - it looks like an ILM model!!  In retrospect, I understand that each and every design choice was in pursuit of 'movie model' accuracy.  The finished product is mesmerizing to behold, and I'm very fortunate to have one occupying my kitchen counter.  Now...to find a permanent spot for it! 

Edited by lowlead
typo

@lowlead Thank you for the kind words! I'm happy you love the build! It was one that I indeed put blood sweat and tears into. I really wished I released it where it is at now originally. Would have been a little less of headache for people I know who took on this build.

I just finished the monarch when I saw this :( 

how many pieces do they have in common?

Almost 8000 parts in common...

https://rebrickable.com/sets/compare/slow/?1-set=MOC-23556&1-inv=34177&1-user_list=&2-set=&2-user_list=65044

The missing parts can be found in this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3f6c7rn1d4b9od4/brickstore_parts_the-eviscerator-vs-isd-monarch.bsx?dl=0

NOTE: This is based on V1 partslist. I don't own a V2 partslist. May be @2mpaired is willing to share one?

Edited by Theo van Vroenhoven

On 2/14/2021 at 9:22 AM, 2mpaired said:

I think you are saying the turntable base? 3680 ? If so, that must be an older parts list. I've sent an updated one to brickvault just in case. But the build does not call for those bases. It did in one of the earlier versions, but because it was so rare, I just threw a 2x2 plate there instead. It was originally making the tractor beam arrays on the bottom spin. Kind of a pointless feature for the price of that piece.

Thank you for clarifying regarding 3680. I guess I had the old list because I was pulling my hair out trying to find where you used them in the instructions!

I re-downloaded the files from bricklink and did notice that even the new NEW parts list is missing the very important x4 Technic, Link 1 x 6 without Stoppers (part 2739a). Hopefully there isn't anything else missing because I'm about to start my build and was using the first ISD 2.0 parts list that was released as my inventory. If you do notice any other pieces missing, please let me know!

On 3/8/2021 at 6:27 AM, Theo van Vroenhoven said:

https://rebrickable.com/sets/compare/slow/?1-set=MOC-23556&1-inv=34177&1-user_list=&2-set=&2-user_list=65044

The missing parts can be found in this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3f6c7rn1d4b9od4/brickstore_parts_the-eviscerator-vs-isd-monarch.bsx?dl=0

NOTE: This is based on V1 partslist. I don't own a V2 partslist. May be @2mpaired is willing to share one?

Thanks! Hopefully he’ll share 2.0;  I have the monarch but I want to upgrade to this.

On 3/8/2021 at 5:27 AM, Theo van Vroenhoven said:

On 4/6/2021 at 5:09 AM, Naixin said:

Thanks! Hopefully he’ll share 2.0;  I have the monarch but I want to upgrade to this.

So you should have received an email from BrickVault with the updated parts list and instructions for the destroyer 2.0. If you have not, please reach out to them as I was told that anyone who had purchased the model before would automatically be notified with a download link to the revision.

On 3/31/2021 at 7:00 PM, Lego Spotlight said:

Thank you for clarifying regarding 3680. I guess I had the old list because I was pulling my hair out trying to find where you used them in the instructions!

I re-downloaded the files from bricklink and did notice that even the new NEW parts list is missing the very important x4 Technic, Link 1 x 6 without Stoppers (part 2739a). Hopefully there isn't anything else missing because I'm about to start my build and was using the first ISD 2.0 parts list that was released as my inventory. If you do notice any other pieces missing, please let me know!

Oh no! Please let me know if you come across any other discrepancies. I will get that change and send it off to BV.

16 hours ago, 2mpaired said:

So you should have received an email from BrickVault with the updated parts list and instructions for the destroyer 2.0. If you have not, please reach out to them as I was told that anyone who had purchased the model before would automatically be notified with a download link to the revision.

Oh no! Please let me know if you come across any other discrepancies. I will get that change and send it off to BV.

Sorry what I meant was a parts list of what I need for 2.0 if I have the monarch built. 

I can probably do it manually myself; I was just being lazy haha

I recently bought the instructions for the Eviscerator for May 4th.  My Monarch is being used as a donor for a portion of the pieces.  For those that have gotten the parts for the Eviscerator, did you use Pick a Brick to get bulk amounts of pieces?  If so which ones?  Looks like that may be the way to go for tiles since Lego's shipping charge is relative cheap.  Thanks.

On 5/20/2021 at 11:28 AM, sandtrooper said:

...Looks like that may be the way to go for tiles since Lego's shipping charge is relative cheap.  Thanks....

I would agree - as long as you have no specific time frame in mind to build it.  Orders from LEGO Bricks & Pieces/PaB can take weeks, and I had a window of opportunity earlier this year to build the Eviscerator uninterrupted with some time off from work.  So I opted for the more expensive route (much faster shipping) and used Bricklink exclusively from domestic sellers.

In the meantime I have two pending orders from Bricks & Pieces and I have no idea when those will arrive.

Edited by lowlead

I'm at 95% pieces collected and have a few questions about part variations. Hopefully 2mpaired or someone else can help out. :)

Can 2444 be replaced with 10247?
Can 4460a be replaced with 4460b? Not sure if there's a difference in the angle on these?
Can 30554b be replaced with 54662? 7 vs 9 teeth, does that make a difference?
Can all U-clips be replaced with O-clips?

Is there any particular reason for a certain mold or can I use the newer molds? Thanks!

3 hours ago, danielwerner said:

I'm at 95% pieces collected and have a few questions about part variations. Hopefully 2mpaired or someone else can help out. :)

Can 2444 be replaced with 10247?
Can 4460a be replaced with 4460b? Not sure if there's a difference in the angle on these?
Can 30554b be replaced with 54662? 7 vs 9 teeth, does that make a difference?
Can all U-clips be replaced with O-clips?

Is there any particular reason for a certain mold or can I use the newer molds? Thanks!

Hey Daniel, So to the answer the first three, absolutely! With difference between the O and U clips, are you talking about the 1x1 tile clip ones? If so, there's a reason between the two.

They have different grip strength which becomes kind of important in a few ways. There are quite a few areas where you connect the two different clips together, this is helping make the connection less stressful to the pieces. There is also the ease of connecting to a bar. As you can tell, that's how I achieved all that greebling with little space. And finally, for aesthetics. Now if you're not too worried about damaging the clips (since they break easily anyways) or don't mind the look, then yeah, you can go all in on one of them. 

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

29 minutes ago, 2mpaired said:

Hey Daniel, So to the answer the first three, absolutely! With difference between the O and U clips, are you talking about the 1x1 tile clip ones? If so, there's a reason between the two.

They have different grip strength which becomes kind of important in a few ways. There are quite a few areas where you connect the two different clips together, this is helping make the connection less stressful to the pieces. There is also the ease of connecting to a bar. As you can tell, that's how I achieved all that greebling with little space. And finally, for aesthetics. Now if you're not too worried about damaging the clips (since they break easily anyways) or don't mind the look, then yeah, you can go all in on one of them. 

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Awesome, thanks for the swift reply! I suspected as much with the clips. No biggie, just wanted to make sure. :) Looking forward to building this soon!

I bought the instructions for the Eviscerator on May 4th.  I am using the pieces for the Monarch for this and a few other projects and have just completed the inventory - so can start ordering pieces.  With that in mind are the six LBG 29096 half cones used for the main engines?  I am planning on using the Monarch's Death Star hemispheres for the engines, so would the half cones not be needed?  If this has been discussed earlier in the thread, I apologize.

Edited by sandtrooper

5 hours ago, sandtrooper said:

I am planning on using the Monarch's Death Star hemispheres for the engines, so would the half cones not be needed?

Yep, that is correct :thumbup:  I used the Death Star hemispheres as well - follow the 'Alt_Engines' instruction pdf which was included in the Eviscerator 2.0 package.  I don't recall when 2mpaired updated the instructions, but if you don't have the alternate engine steps in your May purchase he will provide them as far as I know.

Thanks for the reply.  I have been spending my free time sorting pieces and haven't even looked through the instructions yet.  :hmpf:  So that's the reason for my ignorant question.

Hi I love your build. it is incredible.

I have a question for you relating to obtaining a 3d model of it, given I just signed up, I'm not allowed to send messages, but if you could shoot me one I'd like to ask you about getting a 3d model for a stopmotion i will be working on for the next decade(judging on how long the last one took and this ones upgrade in quality and complexity)

CookedCat

Close to having all of the pieces for this project. Would anyone happen to have separate sub-inventories for each book? I would rather pull the pieces of what is needed for each book since it would make building faster once started. Also it would help to see how many pieces were missed and still need to be ordered. Thank you.

Hi Sandtrooper,

I made a spreadsheet with parts per book for V1.0. Link is below. The last tab has upload instructions. PM me with any questions.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uuDGBXKjZyVZi03Y_6aazYSgdQLUKs9X/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=103380441644806059648&rtpof=true&sd=true

Good luck,

rockpig

Edited by rockpig

Hey guys! I've just finished this amazing build and thought I'd post a little review of my experience.

First of all, thanks to everyone who answered questions on this forum, it's a good help. And thanks especially to 2impaired for his precious informations and for this creation as a whole.

I wanted to replace my USC ISD 75252, with something maybe a bit bigger, but mostly with something much more accurate. It was clear to me that it would be a choice between the Intimidator, the Monarch or the Eviscerator. The choice was rather easy since for space reasons I needed a model with only one stand. But that was not the only reason. With the latest upgrade, the Eviscerator came very close to the slim profile I liked so much about the Monarch, while keeping the almost completely studless look, which I liked very much.

As for collecting the parts, I proceeded step by step. By using the parts from the 75252, I was already at 19% if my memory is good. Then 55% by adding the parts I already had. For the tiles, which represent a large part of the visible surface, I ordered as much as possible from Pick A brick to avoid having too many pieces with scratches. The last 25% was ordered on Bricklink. Despite the large amount of parts, there are not many ultra rare parts (except for the alternate engines). The vast majority are rather basic.

The building process is a charm and the instructions are very clear. There are a few small mistakes, like the same part in two different steps or the schematic not being perfectly centered. But in these cases it is always possible to go 2-3 steps further to validate what it should look like. I only spotted one real mistake, in step 354 of the second book (page 290) where the 1 x 7 liftarms cannot be installed at all. In the instructions you can see the collision bug where the pin goes through between two holes. But the problem can easily be solved by removing one hinge plate.

The only other difficulty I had was with the power system (the dome under the ship). It kept falling off. But this was not due to the instructions in my opinion, but probably due to one (or more) parts being a bit too old and not holding up as well perhaps. Anyway, a slight addition for more support solved the problem for me very quickly.

All in all, the whole build and especially the frame and stand is extremely solid. Despite the length of the front of the ship extending beyond the stand, the ship remains perfectly straight which is a real miracle of engineering as far as I am concerned. Also, I went for the alternative version of the engines. It turned out to be an expensive choice, but I preferred the look, which in my opinion, is much more faithful to the film.

My post is already way too long! So thanks again 2mpaired and I strongly encourage anyone who is interested in this build to give it a go, you won't be disappointed.

And sorry I don't have any photos, but I'm a terrible photographer. I wouldn't be doing the MOC any favors.

Cheers!