2mpaired

[MOC] Imperial Star Destroyer - The Eviscerator

@2mpaired Looking forward to the new update! I really appreciate the effort for making the modification easy for people who already built it. 

On 10/2/2020 at 12:48 PM, 2mpaired said:

Hey everyone, I have finished the edit for the Star Destroyer. So I’m a bit disappointed that BrickVault didn’t reach out to everyone who has already bought the destroyer instructions and let you all know of version 2. Maybe they want to test them first, I don’t know. I know there may be a video noting the changes but either way, the changes have been made and submitted. 

The changes are as followed:

There were quite a few errors on the instructions that I was not aware of until I re-built the model myself. Which was pretty upsetting and I did not want people who bought these instructions (especially since I don’t get to set the price) to feel like they could not complete the model, which was happening for some. To the others who successfully built it, outstanding job! 

So version 2 has a complete revamp of the instructions. I’m hoping I got rid of all the errors, but due to the size of this entire project, some may have gotten through. I gave BrickVault everything, so they should be able to make fixes a lot easier from here on out. 

Now this wasn’t just an instruction fix, it was also an edit to the model. I made the entire thing thinner. I thought the model was too fat in the center so I reduced the thickness by half. So instead of the greebling being 2 studs wide, it’s now 1 stud wide. 

Now here’s the great part, if you already built the model, you do not need to tear down your entire model to edit. I made it to where you can make the changes without destroying your entire model. The things that were edited can stay assembled except the side greebling, since this is where all the changes happen. Now this isn’t a, “buy a ton more parts to edit” kind of thing. I made it to where this was mostly a reallocation of pieces. I made sure that the Needed Extra Pieces for Edit parts list was as small as possible. The last thing I wanted was for people to have to spend way more money on something they already bought and built. The parts list for the edit is about $20-$25 and it’s about 100 pieces. 

These extra pieces are for the small amount of frame editing, that better accommodates for the thinner profile, as well as the front of the bottom panels to attach to the frame. This is where some people thought there might have to be a front support stand because it looked like it was drooping. Which the people who have built this, know this not to be even close to true, as that frame is built to withstand a hurricane, but I digress. So it was confusing that the front anchor didn’t make it into the final instructions, but whatever, it’s fixed now. And then the last few extra pieces are for some small aesthetics as well as some slight engine changes that work with the thinner profile.

Now as for what files are in the update. So the current instructions that you all have, those are null and void. I have redone all instruction books (1-7). For the people who have already built it, there is a word doc (As well as an edit parts list) that is in there that will walk you through the editing process using the new and updated instructions as a reference. For anyone who hasn’t built it yet, now worries, just follow the new instructions like before.

There are also two different versions for the engines. There’s the one using the cones as the standard, since the half domes are so rare. And then there’s the half dome engines as an alternative. So if you have the half domes, I got you covered with that as well. Ignore the alternative engines I made before this post as they will not work with the edited model. I will try to remember to edit that post so no one uses those again.

I think that’s everything. If you have questions, I will try my best to respond to them as quickly as I can. Here is a render of the old and edited version of the destroyer so you all can see the changes yourself.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/156132500@N03/50409041622/in/dateposted-public/

When do you think we can expect the updated files to be available on BrickVault? I checked their website today and they still had the old instructions with alternate engines. No indication of edits.

I'm not totally sure. They kind of set all of that up on their end. Maybe you could send them a message and they could do something, but they may want to wait until their finished with their side. Totally their call.

I bought the instructions some time ago. Havent heard anything from brickvault. Still collecting parts and I'm about 70 percent there.

Anyone heard anything yet?

Also, the new thinness of the model - does that affect stability in any way? And are there more of any pieces, or only less of them? Thanks! :)

On 10/19/2020 at 10:22 AM, danielwerner said:

Anyone heard anything yet?

Also, the new thinness of the model - does that affect stability in any way? And are there more of any pieces, or only less of them? Thanks! :)

Just a quick update. I'm working on the fixes for the edit instructions that BrickVault sent back to me. I'm really trying to make sure there are no errors on this. Especially for the ones that have built it already. The guide that I created explains what to do in english. Which it didn't occur to me, that some people can not read english very well. So I'm trying to get pics of what I'm describing by looking at what it currently looks like compared to what the final look should look like. It is taking longer then I like, but I really want to make sure no one has a negative experience trying to build it or make the edit from an already built state.

To answer your questions. The new thinness does not affect the stability of the model in anyway. As far as pieces, most of the edit is just a reallocation of pieces that were already on the destroyer. There is a small parts list that will be needed to make the edit, which I'll go ahead and post that now. That way once the edit drops, the ones that bought it and want to edit, you can already have your pieces ready to go. XML Edit Parts List

Perfect, thanks for the info 2mpaired! So if I understand you correctly, the new XML are the only added pieces, other lots are the same and/or subtracted but not added.

Looking forward to the updated instructions; it's the right call to take the time to make it thorough. :)

On 4/3/2020 at 7:29 PM, Evergreen said:

@bricksmarlin Ah completely forgot about that haha, yah I encountered that too. I just moved the bottom plate w/ pin holes by one plate up. 

Just a heads up, there will be a couple of minor errors in other books like duplicate pages, but the most issues are in Book 4 pages 110-113, 117-120, & 207-215 where the thing that shows the pieces required for the step is missing. Nothing major, but a little tricky. 

Does anyone have a list of the required parts from these pages? Thanks in advance.

One additional question. What book and page(s) do the 4 Flat Silver Tile, Round 1 x 1 go?

Thanks again.

The Eviscerator 2.0

On 12/12/2020 at 3:14 AM, danielwerner said:

Any update yet? Don't mean to nag, no rush (especially in these pandemic holiday times), just curious. :)

As a matter a fact, there is! 

Sorry for the delay to update you all. The edit is now live! If you already purchased the model, check your email as you will have access to the updated model for free.

Edited by 2mpaired

9 hours ago, 2mpaired said:

The Eviscerator 2.0

As a matter a fact, there is! 

Sorry for the delay to update you all. The edit is now live! If you already purchased the model, check your email as you will have access to the updated model for free.

Amazing work on the re-design! God I wish I had the money, time and space to build this! 

Thank you so much for the update! I received it from Brickvault a few days ago, and just merged the part lists. The only downside is that there are a few lots with one or two more pieces, which makes it a pain finding the right zip bag (I'm about 70% complete already). Just a heads up for anyone else.

Not a biggie though; an awesome design was somehow made even awesomer. :) Great job! Can't wait for your next project.

Hello all,

I just purchased these instructions and I'm having difficulty expanding the .zip file.  After each download (Mac OS, Firefox/Safari) I get this dialogue box when attempting to open the compressed file:

xgxGWol.png

While I wait for a reply from Brickvault, any thoughts?

Edited by lowlead
Re: Brickvault Order #22551

1 hour ago, lowlead said:

Hello all,

I just purchased these instructions and I'm having difficulty expanding the .zip file.  After each download (Mac OS, Firefox/Safari) I get this dialogue box when attempting to open the compressed file:

xgxGWol.png

@lowlead I'm not a computer technician, but I work on Mac and I've encountered this problem on a few occasions. As far as I know, you have this error because there are too heavy files in the zip (there is a 1.5gb pdf in the package).

You can try to unzip it using the Terminal:
Type unzip and a space, then drag/drop the zip file into the Terminal window.

Or you can download Stuffit Expander from the app store. If memory serves me right, this is a free app and it always works for me.

I hope it helps you a bit.

Edited by l0renZo

1 hour ago, lowlead said:

Hello all,

xgxGWol.png

@lowlead The actual uncompressed files are about 6.3 GB, maybe check that you have enough storage space?

Edited by Lego Spotlight

I0renZo, Lego Spotlight:  Thanks for the replies!

Problem solved - although it required some trial & error.  Using the Terminal window 'unzip' command indicated a corrupt zip file!  Apparently the archive utility included in the MacOS suite of apps is not up to the task.  Expanding the file required the use of a third party application.  I chose a trial version of something called The Unarchiver...maybe I'll rename my future Eviscerator with that ominous title :laugh:

52 minutes ago, lowlead said:

I0renZo, Lego Spotlight:  Thanks for the replies!

Problem solved - although it required some trial & error.  Using the Terminal window 'unzip' command indicated a corrupt zip file!  Apparently the archive utility included in the MacOS suite of apps is not up to the task.  Expanding the file required the use of a third party application.  I chose a trial version of something called The Unarchiver...maybe I'll rename my future Eviscerator with that ominous title :laugh:

Well I'm glad you figured it out!

Edited by Lego Spotlight

To anyone interested in seeing the build process of the Eviscerator:

Starting in February I will be building the Eviscerator in an in-depth video documentation on my YouTube channel Lego Spotlight (link in my bio). It will be my first big project on the channel so I hope you'll consider checking it out!

Each episode will cover one of the instruction manuals and detail the building process. Feel free to subscribe so you can see the videos as they are released.

Hey I know I am new here but is it possible to get the part List for the Eviscerator before buying the manual?

Just to look how much I would have to spend exactly. This build really is a dream and I would love to have it.

2mpaired thank you for your work and if you allow it pls send me the part list to my email address: hofmanndavid97@gmail.com

55 minutes ago, DavidH97 said:

...Just to look how much I would have to spend exactly...

I found the parts cost estimate on the BVT website to be very accurate.  I spent ~ $2,595 on the parts alone, and about $160 on shipping, Insurance, fees, etc... for only eight Bricklink orders.  I set the search filters for U.S. sellers to save on time and shipping costs, and tweaked each order for the maximum parts available from my wanted list.  While doing this may slightly elevate cost per lot, minimizing the number of orders is a much better way to go in my opinion.  Also I would often round up lot counts, so purchasing only the exact parts list would be even less expensive.

It also helps to have a good percentage of parts already in your inventory :wink:  You will find the cost of all the tile elements is the bulk of the expense.  Finally, I'll admit that I purchased the instructions before I was fully committed to the project.  Worth it in the end. 

Hello!

I'm excited to say that the Eviscerator (2.0) is my next large project. :D. There are a lot of great ISD MOCs out there, but this is my favorite.  Thank you @2mpaired for making such an amazing model.

I purchased the manual from Brickvault and am about halfway through collecting bricks.  I have a handful of color swap questions if anyone who's built the model that is able to advise, I'd appreciate it!

Regarding the Internal Technic Bricks and Lift Arms, are there really any structural pieces on the inside that can be seen once all the panels are attached?  Am I safe to use any color that I can find?  This will greatly reduce the cost as I have a lot of random colors in my Bulk collection.

The (2) 2x2 Turntable Bases in LBG.  Those are $15-$20 each.  I've skimmed the manual but haven't seen them.  Are they obvious once the model is built, or if I went with LG would it be noticeable?

Finally, I'm planning to swap out the barrels for the four smaller engines with the versions that come with the 75252 ISD.  Did anyone else discover any other part swaps that made sense without losing any of the creative integrity of the original model?

Thank you~

Edited by salaciouscrumbphd