2mpaired

[MOC] Imperial Star Destroyer - The Eviscerator

Hey everybody, I'm new to the community but I've been MOC designing for sometime now and I have finished my massive project. I've been working on it for just under two years, The ISD II The Eviscerator. It sits on a single removable stand measuring at 148 studs long with 19,225 pieces. I really wanted to capture that "It doesn't look like Lego" feel and try to give it a studio model vibe. One of my goals for this build was to have only one stand that the model sits on securely. This was an incredible challenge due to the size and weight of the model. In fact, it's what took the most time to develop through out the build. Overall, I'm satisfied with how the model turned out. This is more accurately representing an ISD II Destroyer. I tried to pay attention to every detail I could, based on a couple of star destroyer sources. It's a very modular build making it easier to assemble and disassemble. There is no interior in this model. Just pure structural integrity throughout the entire inside. Just the frame and stand are 6,000+ pieces, but this was my goal. Create as accurate of model as I could, displayed on one removable stand, and not having to limit detail because of weight and size. 

Anyways, enough rambling:

ISD EvisceratorISD EvisceratorISD Eviscerator

You can view the rest of the photos here: Flickr Album
Now here is some great news. If you want to build one yourself, you can! I have made instructions for this build that are available at https://www.brickvault.toys/products/imperial-star-destroyer

Edited by 2mpaired
Link to instructions

Absolutely stunning! The gruelling is jaw dropping. The best ISD to date. Hands down. Really looking forward to this becoming available.  Plans on adding an interior minifig scale bridge? If the internal structure allows?

Anywho - kudos!!!

Absolutely stunning! Definitely up there with Jerac and Onecase's ISD designs and one of the smoothest as well haha. So many good ISD MOC's being made within the recent years

Whoa that looks incredible! What are the dimensions of it compared to the recent UCS?

Thanks guys!

1 hour ago, ekrangnes said:

Absolutely stunning! The gruelling is jaw dropping. The best ISD to date. Hands down. Really looking forward to this becoming available.  Plans on adding an interior minifig scale bridge? If the internal structure allows?

Anywho - kudos!!!

No plans on adding interior. There's too much going on behind the scenes to really add any interior.

12 minutes ago, Reaper said:

Whoa that looks incredible! What are the dimensions of it compared to the recent UCS?

Here's a render that compares the sizes.

Render Comparison

This is amazing! I love that you went for the studless look. A couple of questions though?

1. What are the dimensions? I calculated that 148 studs long should be ~ 118 cm / 46,5 inches. But what about width and height (and approximate weight)? I'm curious because I need to know if it'll fit on top of my half bookcase. :)
  2. How sturdy would you rate it?
  3. How hard would it be for the average joe to build it?

In any case, awesome job. :)

Well done. Very impressive build and I love the fact that you were able to stand it on this single (and in fact very good looking stand). The details are nice and used for the good effect everywhere. I really like the somewhat regular greebling in the side trenches that uses the 1x1 clips facing bottom to bottom. Oh, and your photography is really good too!!

Wow, awesome build the standard to beat is constantly getting harder for ISDs! I second Kristof’s comment about the greebling, it was the first thing I was drawn to, great job!

Couple questions are there any very rare or hard-to-find (e.g only like 10 BL sellers sell it) and for the instructions are there separate parts lists for like the stand and bridge, since you mention the modularity of the MOC? I just think it'll be much more efficient and less playing "hide-&-seek" if all the parts were divided up. Of course, it will be more expensive like this. 

14 hours ago, danielwerner said:

This is amazing! I love that you went for the studless look. A couple of questions though?

1. What are the dimensions? I calculated that 148 studs long should be ~ 118 cm / 46,5 inches. But what about width and height (and approximate weight)? I'm curious because I need to know if it'll fit on top of my half bookcase. :)
  2. How sturdy would you rate it?
  3. How hard would it be for the average joe to build it?

In any case, awesome job. :)

1. It's ~46in long, ~29in wide, and ~20in tall (with stand). As far as weight, if BL's weights for the pieces are correct, then it weighs ~37lbs.
2. Very sturdy! I've had it on the floor to make room in my studio and accidentally kicked it on multiple occasions.
3. It's going to take a ton of time. I'd say if you're good at not missing things when following instructions, then it won't be too difficult. It really comes down to the time it takes to build all the greebling/tiling areas.

6 hours ago, Kristof said:

Well done. Very impressive build and I love the fact that you were able to stand it on this single (and in fact very good looking stand). The details are nice and used for the good effect everywhere. I really like the somewhat regular greebling in the side trenches that uses the 1x1 clips facing bottom to bottom. Oh, and your photography is really good too!!

Thank you! However, I'm not the photographer, my wife is. I will pass on your compliment to her.

4 hours ago, Evergreen said:

Couple questions are there any very rare or hard-to-find (e.g only like 10 BL sellers sell it) and for the instructions are there separate parts lists for like the stand and bridge, since you mention the modularity of the MOC? I just think it'll be much more efficient and less playing "hide-&-seek" if all the parts were divided up. Of course, it will be more expensive like this. 

Nope. The only pieces that are somewhat rare are the four big bushels I'm using for the quad engines. But Lego just re-released them with their newest destroyer, so there should be a good amount out there. As far as breaking up the different parts for the parts list is unlikely. I'm not the one who is actually distributing the instructions. 

When the model is officially released, I will update this forum with the link to the instructions. - It won't be much longer.

1 hour ago, 2mpaired said:

1. It's ~46in long, ~29in wide, and ~20in tall (with stand). As far as weight, if BL's weights for the pieces are correct, then it weighs ~37lbs.
2. Very sturdy! I've had it on the floor to make room in my studio and accidentally kicked it on multiple occasions.
3. It's going to take a ton of time. I'd say if you're good at not missing things when following instructions, then it won't be too difficult. It really comes down to the time it takes to build all the greebling/tiling areas.

Thanks for the answers! Sounds almost too good to be true. If it isn't too much trouble though, could you please measure the length between one of the sides and the far end of the stand (so I know what shelf depth I need)? :) Also, have you noticed any drooping over time? It seems to be pretty common with these huge models.

On 12/21/2019 at 4:56 PM, KevinYoung said:

Very nice build any chance we can get some closeups of the deck and main guns. thank you

There should hopefully be a video soon that will have some closeups with the super structure and cannons.

On 12/21/2019 at 6:06 PM, danielwerner said:

Thanks for the answers! Sounds almost too good to be true. If it isn't too much trouble though, could you please measure the length between one of the sides and the far end of the stand (so I know what shelf depth I need)? :) Also, have you noticed any drooping over time? It seems to be pretty common with these huge models.

It's ~19in. There should be zero drooping. I absolutely overkilled the frame because of this exact worry. The frame could take on at another 5,000 pieces or so before giving any signs of a problem. 

Wow, impressive build! 

It has a very good looking at every angle. I like a lot the technics used for the smaller horizontal details within the angled surfaces. 

This may have to be the Star destroyer I build, it seems as close to perfect as a display model in this size as you're likely to get.

Looks great and the single stand is an impressive achievement for an ISD of this size and weight.  Looking forward to seeing the vid.

Edited by Cygma

wow, great build

i'm still looking for a realistic ISD below this size :wub:

I would love to build a model like this but I definitely have no space for this.

I am already struggling to display my lego (currently looking for a solution such a shelves and a coffee table for the millenium falcon)

4 hours ago, Brandon8o said:

How would people compare this to Jerac's ISD? 

Jerac’s uses a very different technique as far as I can see. This one is based on the use of tiles over plates and the barest minimum of wedge plates to have as few studs as possible. But the studs are still there so although it’s an incredible build, it’s Lego construction is impossible to hide.... which is something Jerac did manage to do by using the snot technique of bricks on their side. His was about twice the size of this one. You’d be hard pushed to find a stud on his isd (if you’re not counting the greebling of course) I’m sure I read somewhere that he said this actually played against it whereby people didn’t realise it was Lego and just thought it was a giant plastic kit (and therefore didn’t fully appreciate the achievement). You wouldn’t get that with this model as it looks like a Lego isd (albeit an Impressive one and an amazing effort to reduce the stud count) Some people prefer studs of course but personally I like to hide them as much as I can so I doubt anyone will make something that looks better than Jerac’s Isd unless Lego start producing wedge tiles in the same shapes as their wedge plates. Which they probably never will. :(