Sign in to follow this  
suffocation

[moc] rc/manual plum picker

This is a plum picker. It's somehow similar to a cherry picker but it's designed specifically for plucking pesky plums from perilous purple peaks. The model has been built with no pretence of realism or proportion, only to be fun to play with for hands-on toddlers as well as RC-loving teens.

800x725.jpg

800x774.jpg

800x600.jpg

It has eight functions:

- drive
- steering
- rear outriggers
- front outriggers
- platform elevation
- platform rotation
- platform extension
- front winch (plum pickers need a winch because of reasons).

All eight functions can be activated either manually or remotely thanks to two L motors, one M motor and a simple distribution gearbox.

The model also has working headlights as well as opening doors, tilting seats, a spare wheel and a couple of tools.

Props to Anto, Didumus69 and BrickbyBrickTechnic for coming up with great ideas I shamelessly pilfered.

Edited by suffocation

Plum picker that picks the picky plums, piles them plushly to prevent them to prune. @suffocation why you pick the outrageous orange color for your plum picker pickup truck!!?? A passion purple I would pick to paint my plum picker..    

7 hours ago, sirslayer said:

Plum picker that picks the picky plums, piles them plushly to prevent them to prune. @suffocation why you pick the outrageous orange color for your plum picker pickup truck!!?? A passion purple I would pick to paint my plum picker..    

Perhaps he has not enough pieces. @suffocationOriginal idea plum picker :thumbup:

BTW we have plums but we have manual picker (using our hands) :laugh:

Seems the model's salient feature has gone right over everyone's head, probably because reading has gone out of fashion and pictures that don't look out of a pro studio aren't worth perusing. Oh well, not my loss :classic:

1 hour ago, suffocation said:

Seems the model's salient feature has gone right over everyone's head, probably because reading has gone out of fashion and pictures that don't look out of a pro studio aren't worth perusing. Oh well, not my loss :classic:

It does look very fun to play with, and the details are cool as well, especially the spare wheel. Liking the use of 8285's hubs as well! Plus, I reckon it's more realistic than you think. For some reason I think KamAZ when I look at the cab. :thumbup:

@suffocation It really like the chassis design you created on your MOC. Correct me if i'm wrong, One Lego Medium Pf motor drives yours gears selector and the 2 x Large Pf motors ....  Which they both run separately (Steering, Drive to wheels and crane(lift))  and (winch, outriggers) .. Very compact chassis and some of your building techniques looks sound.. the lifting platform is brilliant and I would be less impressed if you had the color of the cab in purples hues with babies plums hanging off the platform..  Good Job :)  @suffocation 

This is a really nice model and I think that this is what Lego technic is just about. Nicely designed model, that don't necessary need to mimic too closely a real one but packed with a ton of function.

It's really clever to have the possibility to switch from RC to manual and you've designed a quite compact gearbox.

Hope to see it on rebrickable at some point.

I think this is great work and it is more advanced than I first realised.  Obviously the combinations of the new rotary gearbox selectors have something to do with it.  It is well put together and nice to see one of the old school 24T crown gears making an appearance!

Very cool MOC. Lots of functions in a compact model. Also, very playable being both RC and manual.

And the gearbox is meaningful because you can see it's effect as it opens up the various functions.

This is what I want from Lego, not monstrous 4000 part sets or supercars with gear crunching gearboxes for speed change.

This is classic Technic and I really hope to see it on Rebrickable at some point in the future.

Edited by iLego

On 12/21/2019 at 9:52 AM, fosamax said:

Hope to see it on rebrickable at some point.

Merci, mon ami! I have to figure out how to make the front outriggers struggle less and also want to make some cosmetic changes, then, if there's enough interest, I'll start preparing a free photo guide for anyone who wants to build their own version.

On 12/21/2019 at 7:53 PM, Maaboo35 said:

Up the Irn-Bru more like it! Cool job. :thumbup:

Or IPA brew :drunk:

On 12/21/2019 at 10:53 PM, trekman said:

I think this is great work and it is more advanced than I first realised.  Obviously the combinations of the new rotary gearbox selectors have something to do with it.  It is well put together and nice to see one of the old school 24T crown gears making an appearance!

Thank you! Yes, the rotary catch coupled with @Didumos69's 90° limiter works wonders for this kind of stuff. I think @BrickbyBrickTechnic first used this kind of mechanism to control a distribution gearbox - was it on the telescopic excavator?

Those old crown gears are a godsend when traditional z24 gears brush - were it even ever so slightly - against other parts.

On 12/22/2019 at 3:14 AM, iLego said:

Very cool MOC. Lots of functions in a compact model. Also, very playable being both RC and manual.

And the gearbox is meaningful because you can see it's effect as it opens up the various functions.

This is what I want from Lego, not monstrous 4000 part sets or supercars with gear crunching gearboxes for speed change.

This is classic Technic and I really hope to see it on Rebrickable at some point in the future.

Thank you! That's the other reason behind this model - I was sick of so many afols drooling over the Liebherr as if it were the pinnacle of Lego engineering; I was also thoroughly disappointed when I found myself bored to death a dozen steps into the superstructure and realised it was going to be, for the most part, a big ol' empty box.

Edited by suffocation

On 12/22/2019 at 4:41 PM, I_Igor said:

@suffocation Liebherr is pinnacle, but (IMHO) only in term of prize :sad:

In absolute terms, yes; in relative terms, however, 42099 is by far the most expensive.

3 minutes ago, suffocation said:

In absolute terms, yes; in relative terms, however, 42099 is by far the most expensive.

Agree, but I'm outdated; I'll stick to PF elements. You gave me idea how to save one servo motor with your steering idea. :classic:

When I finish chassis I'll post it in my forum's topic.

Regards Andrew