1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Great

49239235588_cc9e761693_c.jpg

Introduction

With the latest Star Wars movie hiting the theaters in December 2019, it may be the last chance to answer the question: Has Poe Dameron taste in colors improved in the last 4 years? So let's take a look at set 75273 Poe Dameron's X-wing Fighter and try to find the answer!

Set information

Set Name: Poe Dameron's X-wing Fighter

Set Number: 75273

Number of Pieces: 561

Theme: Star Wars

Year Release: 01/2020

Prices: £89.99 / $89.99 / €99.99 (Euro prices may vary)

#75273 on Brickset

#75273 on Rebrickable

Let your youngster feel like Resistance hero Poe Dameron with this X-wing fighter (75273)! Fans will love the sleek new-for-January-2020 design, just like the X-wing in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. It’s got loads of play-inspiring features – adjustable wings for cruise and attack modes, shooting functions, retractable landing gear and more! Resistance vs. First Order battles! This cool starfighter comes with 3 minifigures – Poe Dameron, Knight of Ren, Jannah – with weapons, plus R2-D2 to inspire Resistance vs. First Order role-play. An epic gift idea for any young Star Wars™ fan, this construction playset is great for solo or group play and add the 75272 Sith TIE Fighter for even more action. Star Wars action in LEGO style! The LEGO Group has been creating brick-built versions of iconic Star Wars starfighters, vehicles, locations and characters since 1999. It's become a hugely successful theme with a fantastic variety of sets to thrill fans of all ages – so join in the fun!

• Kids can role-play as Resistance hero Poe Dameron and fly into battle with this new-for-January-2020 LEGO® Star Wars™ version of the classic X-wing starfighter (75273) from Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
  • Loads of play-inspiring features including an opening minifigure cockpit, space for R2-D2, adjustable wings for cruise and attack mode, stud and spring-loaded shooters and retractable landing gear.
  • Includes an R2-D2 LEGO® droid plus 3 Star Wars™ character toy minifigures – Poe Dameron, Knight of Ren and Jannah – with new-for-January-2020 features, plus blaster pistols, a bowcaster and other weapons for battles.
  • This 761-piece LEGO® Star Wars™ set makes a great gift idea and offers a fun, rewarding building challenge for boys and girls aged 9+. Add the Sith TIE Fighter (75273) for epic First Order vs. Resistance battles.
  • The X-wing fighter building toy measures over 3” (8cm) high, 14” (37cm) long and 12” (32cm) wide so it makes an eye-catching centerpiece to show off to friends when it’s not being flown on Resistance missions!
  • This collectible X-wing LEGO® set is powered by creative kids’ free-thinking – no batteries required – so the action adventures never stop!
  • Is your youngster new to LEGO® sets? Don’t worry. This X-wing building toy comes with easy-to-follow, printed instructions so they can open the box, start building straightaway… and feel Jedi-level awesome!
  • LEGO® Star Wars™ construction toys are great for kids (and adult fans) to build and display, recreate scenes from the memorable Star Wars saga and create their own unique stories.
  • Ever since 1958, LEGO® bricks have met the highest industry standards, which ensures they are consistent and that they connect and pull apart easily every time – no need to use the Force!
  • LEGO® bricks and pieces are tested in almost every way imaginable to make sure that every building set meets the highest safety standards here on planet earth (and in galaxies far, far away!).

Packaging

The front of the box shows the usual Star Wars theme for the movies related sets, with angry Kylo Ren in the upper right corner. As usual on the bottom right corner are the 4 minifigs included in the set: Poe Dameron, Jannah, R2-D2 and a Knight of Ren.

49239235748_f0f169ffbf_c.jpg

The back of the box shows the set's play features, with of course folding wings, and the usual various shooters.

49239234918_5bb8476b96_c.jpg

Content of the box

The box contains 6 numbered bags and a letter sized booklet. There is also a small stickers sheet with only 3 stickers.

49239930567_293099855c_c.jpg

Minifigures

The set contains 4 minifigures: Poe Dameron in pilot suit, R2-D2, Jannah and a Knight of Ren, the last two being exclusive to this set (I'n not sure about Poe in this outfit). Poe comes with both a nice rebel pilot helmet and his usual nice hairs. His pilot uniform in dark orange is nicely printed. Jannah, whoever she is, has a nice unique hair part and also a printed right arm. I think she could have had printed legs instead of plain sand blue ones. The Knight of Ren minifig is pretty nice, with uniques torso, legs and helmet. One bad point: the black head. R2-D2 is as nice as usual.

49239234998_71ea211929_c.jpg

49239234783_183ddea7e3_c.jpg

Build

The build is rather easy, and if you built one of the previous X-Wing, you'll be able to build this one with eyes closed as it is almost the exact same build, except for the wings of course. The instructions are clear and easy to follow, with not many bricks added at each step.

49239235838_b510bf5811_w.jpg 49239713101_d96ddd9a30_w.jpg

49239930482_bc69a21e2e_w.jpg 49239235673_7c2bde7094_w.jpg

49239930262_d2fe7ee6fa_w.jpg 49239930197_9be4c20996_w.jpg

The result is a nice starfighter, in orange and white... and orange... with some blue details... and orange...

49239712371_343dfe69c8_c.jpg

A few spare parts...

49239712326_5567c1e134_c.jpg

To me the most interesting parts are the curved 3x3 bricks, but the new 1x1 roof slope is quite nice too. The 1x2 printed tile is also great and provide with a new option for MOCers.

49239235078_df0ffd798c_c.jpg

Play features

Of course the main play feature of the X-Wing is its wings!

A lever on the top of the starfighter will separate the wings but also lower a pin underneath the hull so you can lay the X-Wing on a table with its wings open. Personally, I find that opening on the top of the hull quite ugly, and it prevents to have some detailing there.

49239929992_6a2aecf4ef_c.jpg

49239235368_0bea2f0066_c.jpg

49239930162_b1e73a0390_c.jpg

I'm very fond of the way the front of the engines looks like when the wings are folded!

49239929577_3e048c7eee_c.jpg

Conclusion

Design: 8/10 - The model is quite nice, despite the colors!

Parts: 8/10 - The part selection is good, with some great new parts! More printed parts would have been nice though.

Build: 7/10 - Interesting build, but it's almost exactly the same build as the last X-Wing!

Playability: 7/10 - It swooches and the wings are movable... that's it.

Minifigs: 8/10 - The minifigs are nice and well detailed.

Price: 5/10 - With high ppp of 0,178€ and 4 minifigs, this set seems overpriced to me... but it is a Star Wars set.

Overall: 43/60 (71%) - Poe Dameron didn't improved his taste in colors, even after 3 movies... But the set is nice, but a bit overpriced. It is still an iconic starfighter, even with its resistance livery.

Thank you for you review.

I have the classic X-Wing from 2018 and I'm thinking of buying one of the new trilogy's ones, but haven't decided yet. Admittedly, the color scheme of this one might be my least favorite.

The offset wings are interesting and the engine cowlings are slick with the new pieces, but $90 for an X-wing? Really?

Really love the improvements they made on the wing engines compared to Poe's previous X-Wing models. The transition from orange to white is also quite well done without resorting to the use of stickers. Shame about the price though.

The rubber band placement and that lever to open the wings makes it a pass for me.  The lever feels like something that they forced in for the sake of being different from the last 5 X-Wing models, and the rubber bands stick out badly and in my opinion ruin the look of the split wing/engine when open.  That's too bad because I do like some of the other changes... but then add the $90 price and there's no good reason to grab it unless you've missed most of the earlier versions.  :sceptic:

I was particular interested in this set because of the Knights of Ren....but after watching TRoS, probably not immediately. I don't mind that it is an X-Wing. The design is recycled but this version is very forgettable. This can wait for my discounted set list.

I think in terms of basic visuals, this is one of the cooler X-wings they've ever done.

But, I gotta say, the film lost me. I mean, what a strange way to finish the Palpatine saga. 

L0mUdjD.jpg

9 hours ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

Are the bands in the front neccessary?

I was wondering the same. 
On the resistance x-wing, both bands are put at the back, none on front. 

and like i did with the 2018 x-wing, first i am going to get rid of that uggly top opening system to replace it with the same system as the previous resistance x-wing or even the one from the 2012 t65 version.

13 hours ago, author said:

Which x-wing set from the sequel trilogy do you guys think is the the best? 

In terms of colors, 75149. In terms of design, this one. 

Personally, I'm going to be building an E-wing to celebrate real Star Wars.

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

Ouch....$90 US is a lot for this set. Not a fan of the Mars Mission white and orange color scheme.  Expecting a little green guy to pop out of the new fancy Sith Tie Figher!

Think I am just burned on out Xwings.  Do like the new curved engine cover pieces. Not sure how this set will sell in the US due to price and mixed reviews from the movie (I have not seen yet).  

Doubt I will be picking this set up.  My set improvement idea would be to bump it up to $120 and include a good side build or enemy space ship.  Know that bumps the price up, but already fairly high and feel TLG needs to offer something bit different with this set (compared to the last few years) for it to be successful. 

Thanks for the review!

I must admit I didn't pay too close attention to the info about this one, but in my head the color registered as dark orange, but it's actually orange... Ouch!

Price in Norway is about 110... Ouch again!

Jannah and the Knight of Ren figures looks nice, and I'm sure the build is good. Maybe I will pick it up at 40-50% off.

Along with the TIE Dagger and Sith Trooper battle pack, this is one of my most anticipated sets. I love the design changes and the color scheme isn't that bad to me. I'm going to wait for a sale, but if it's anything like the last few waves, it should happen immediately.

I can't wait for the inevitable color swap so I can have both of Poe's X-Wings in the new design (and probably a normal Resistance one too!).

Edited by Gremer2

On 12/21/2019 at 10:53 PM, author said:

Which x-wing set from the sequel trilogy do you guys think is the the best? 

75102 has the coolest colour scheme and it isn't just another grey ship. This one has the best design

Having just built it, I never thought so much orange could look so good. The wing mechanism works so much better than 75102/49 and even 75218. The front bands have improved it heaps but it has noticeably more tension so they might wear out quicker.

Happy Life Day!

Just found this set on ebay, with just the R2 figure, but otherwise boxed, bagged, and unbuilt, for a £45 saving on the new price! Liking ships/vehicles more than minifigs pays off quite regularly!

@Flandy I think we might have bought from the same guy, hopefully he comes through! The retail price is far too high for this set and the perceived value of the whole wave is all over the place but this X-Wing does look great, I probably would’ve spent £90 at the end of January because I’m weak willed.

@Bob De Quatre great review and very nice photos, thank you!

Looks really cool and since the number X-Wing play-sets I've purchased could be counted on a closed fist this might be the one. But is that really the best place they could have found for the rubber bands? Bleh!

Could someone who has the instructions for this set give me the piece number / ID for the new 3x3 curved pieces used on the engines?