Sign in to follow this  
Tcm0

New train wheels tested by me

Hey, maybe you remember my comparison of the new train wheels (I think that my video was the first one to do that).

Now that lego actually made an "official" comparison, I HAD to check their claims - especially since their result is basically the opposite.
My test setup is basically the same (tho a different track layout with more straight track). A train (this time an actual one and not just cars with weights) drove in a circle and got timed by an EV3.
ResIrDT.png

After 10 minutes I switched the wheels and the battery and did the same again. Here are my results:
OGdyu9m.jpg

(round times, less = better)

This confirms the results by lego but stands in contrast to my first test. There have been a few problems with this test so I decided to do another one - but to remove a few of the error sources: I replaced all the flex track with normal track, measured the voltage of the batteries (they had a difference of 0.02V in the 2nd test), fixed the track on the ground and made a 25 minutes test since 10 minutes wasn't enough in my opinion (but I won't do a longer test - I don't want problems with my neighbours ;) ). Here are my results for the second test:

RNhsXf2.jpg

(round times, less = better)

Here are my conclusions:
1. The batteries have an extremly high impact on the results (and aren't relieable enough for so small differences)
2. Both wheels performed about equally - at least with the accuracy of this test, the difference in initial value can be caused by the batteries.

Test program + results: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v6YPZDM5KCBhRIroBSEo3u5yWVnkgM64 (if anyone wants to do his*her own test)

6wJXeJM.jpg

Video (contains no new information):

Edited by Tcm0

Cool test! It’s nice to know that the new wheels won’t impact performance too much. I wonder if it makes a difference if you use both new and old wheels on the same train.

Really interesting

Thank you for such a definitely more "scientific" approach. I can suggest some points of discussion:

1) this is a real configuration test not an efficiency test for the wheels alone,

2) the batteries issue seems very important and this was completely neglected in LEGO test. (not to mentions the straight track absence)

3) Perhaps the most important thing is that the flex track are a real obstacle for fixed wheels like the old ones. (you changed the tracks AND measure the batteries voltage, so it's difficult to disentangle the two variables)

Final consideration:

LEGO please be honest, you can say the new wheels are easier to build up and to connect, they are safer for kids, more profitable for you, BUT they are not BETTER in rolling.

Interesting test.

To have some non-battery biased results, wouldn't it be more accurate to lead such a test with 9V tracks and motor? So no random power supply that could interfere, and only rolling resistance measurment.

Another concern is when the wheels will have been quite used, and will be scratched, as when I buy used trains, or when the wheels will be old and used.

The plastic holder and plastic wheels introduced in 1984 (in Town sets) to replace metal-axle wheels have very bad rolling too after some use. It's not important on vehicles wheels, but will have consequences on trains performances with time.

18 minutes ago, Evans said:

Interesting test.

To have some non-battery biased results, wouldn't it be more accurate to lead such a test with 9V tracks and motor? So no random power supply that could interfere, and only rolling resistance measurment.

Another concern is when the wheels will have been quite used, and will be scratched, as when I buy used trains, or when the wheels will be old and used.

The plastic holder and plastic wheels introduced in 1984 (in Town sets) to replace metal-axle wheels have very bad rolling too after some use. It's not important on vehicles wheels, but will have consequences on trains performances with time.

There are 3 problems with testing a 9V motor.
1) I have no 9V motor (nor straight 9V track)
2) They should not run more than 10 minutes because they might "overheat" (at least that's what "zusammengebaut" wrote)
3) Lego emphasized that they tested the currently available wheels and tracks, not older ones.

5 hours ago, monai said:

1) this is a real configuration test not an efficiency test for the wheels alone,

2) the batteries issue seems very important and this was completely neglected in LEGO test. (not to mentions the straight track absence)

3) Perhaps the most important thing is that the flex track are a real obstacle for fixed wheels like the old ones. (you changed the tracks AND measure the batteries voltage, so it's difficult to disentangle the two variables)

1) The problem is that the wheels might act differently with different weights. So I tried to keep it as realistic as possible
2) I think that they made sure that the voltage is about the same for both batteries, but they have given no data on that, yes
3) I removed the flex track because it moved way too much. It might have had impacts on the results based on how it currently layed - and that changed every round.

Interesting results, thank you for undertaking the tests. Integrating your results with Lego's, I suspect the new wheels do better on curves and the old wheels do better on straight track. For typical (intended) applications the difference is probably in the noise. For heavy trains, you always needed to do something beyond the typical configuration (more powerful motors and magnets, or roller bearings, etc.)

Regardless, if the new wheels make trains more profitable (or simply cheaper to produce) hopefully we will see more trains as a result.

49 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

Regardless, if the new wheels make trains more profitable (or simply cheaper to produce) hopefully we will see more trains as a result.

My guess is that the price calculation of the new Powered Up elements forced a way to save money with the trains. Sometimes you can buy the passenger train for the same price as the electronic parts alone - and the passenger train has track included.

10 hours ago, Evans said:

That's the crux.

Current wheels run fine when they become old. I very much doubt new wheels will have the same longevity.