Sign in to follow this  
ExeSandbox

[MOC] Icebreaker

A scene of a Land Rover Defender rescuing a fishing boat from the frozen waters of the Arctic. Bravery or foolishness? :laugh_hard:

Originally an entry built for the "Show Us Your Land Rover In Heroic Moments" contest on LEGO Ideas. (To my luck, it won as a runner-up! :angel_sing:)

I suppose the LEGO model speaks for itself, so I'll do away with the descriptions.

49238024461_b93bbc03b8_b.jpg

49238024291_73b8c95768_b.jpg

49238240007_c29060385c_b.jpg

More images can be found here.

Edited by ExeSandbox

My goodness this is so cool. Perfection throughout. Its visually fascinating from every angle. What a great idea and excellent execution. I vote for frontpage this. Great work.

It's a very nice model and you deserve the recognition.  I'm skeptical about the physics of it, though.  Lots of problems with action and reaction and traction and the shattering strength of ice unless the Rover is on a really big floe.  Do people actually do things like this?

Wow!! Love the ice floes - especially the aerial view!! (the Land Rover and ship aren't bad either!!)

Excellent stuff!!

Fabulous!  Great concept and execution.  The ice, especially the broken bits in the wake of the boat, is done really well and the builds for both the boat and the Land Rover are super.  Not sure about the boat being crewed by crash test dummies, though... or is that how they got into that predicament in the first place?  :laugh:

22 hours ago, koalayummies said:

My goodness this is so cool. Perfection throughout. Its visually fascinating from every angle. What a great idea and excellent execution. I vote for frontpage this. Great work.

Thanks koalayummies! Really appreciate the compliments! (hope it gets frontpaged too :excited:)

20 hours ago, icm said:

It's a very nice model and you deserve the recognition.  I'm skeptical about the physics of it, though.  Lots of problems with action and reaction and traction and the shattering strength of ice unless the Rover is on a really big floe.  Do people actually do things like this?

Thanks! The physics are very questionable indeed. During the process of building this, I've always questioned myself about the tangibility of the scene. There were some stuff I could do, like make the landscape a lot bigger and extend the bottom to include water, that way I could build the ice to look thicker. Buuut because all that extra ice and water which is frankly quite boring to look at might distract attention from the center point of the scene. Alas, I was more concerned for the aesthetics than the practicality. :laugh_hard:

18 hours ago, greg3 said:

Wow!! Love the ice floes - especially the aerial view!! (the Land Rover and ship aren't bad either!!)

Excellent stuff!!

Thanks mate! It seems that the ice is a real standout of the scene! :grin:

10 hours ago, deraven said:

Fabulous!  Great concept and execution.  The ice, especially the broken bits in the wake of the boat, is done really well and the builds for both the boat and the Land Rover are super.  Not sure about the boat being crewed by crash test dummies, though... or is that how they got into that predicament in the first place?  :laugh:

Thank you @deraven! Didn't think about that, but you're right, that's perhaps how they got stuck on the ice. :roflmao:

(The crash test dummies were a gag, because it was for a contest based on a car, and they looked way too adorable. :wub:)

Edited by ExeSandbox