Sign in to follow this  
Capt Wolf

[ESL – Royal Naval Academy] Part III: Boat house

Naval cadets get more than classroom training. The boat house shelters several small craft that the cadets use for training purposes.

01r2-full-no-boats.jpg

Here a couple of cadets bring one of the boats out into the harbor.

02r-front.jpg

02zr-full.jpg

Teams of cadets compete against each other as they learn to maneuver their craft.

03r-sailboats.jpg

The instructors fear they have much to teach the cadets.

04instructors.jpg

Once the cadets have mastered the small boats, they can graduate to slightly larger craft that require more skill.

05r-itp-boat.jpg

Some more views of the build:

Spoiler

01zr-full-w-boats.jpg

above.jpg

For the rest of Eslandola's Royal Naval Academy, Part I: Main Campus is here and Part II: Wading Pool is here.

All C&C welcome.

Aha... now you're putting the "naval" in "naval academy." Good continuation of the project. I think the full-stud offsets work great here and the overall building design is quite pleasing. And the vessels look nice, too. If they're just now learning to sail, then I think at least one of them should reach the dock sailing submerged, Cap'n Jack Sparrow style. :grin:

I don't know why but this house reminds of the hangar from Thomas & Friends.:pir_laugh2:

I like this build for its originality, a boat house is something in Bobs. Usually, in nautical related mocs boats were just floating around freely or at best anchored at a dock, I don't recall having seen any building of this type before. And I also like that larger boat.

Good to see some boats in this build, fun presentation too - I especially liked the expressions on the teacher's faces. :pir-laugh:  Great job keeping in the same style while building a totally new kind of shape!

Ohhh! That is a nice building too! Capt Wolf I see you have acquired a taste (and bricks) for architectural details in your builds too! Totally awesome! I also love the bigger ship (I initially thought it was a version of 6277 boat but apparently it isn't)

If I would change something (purely nitpicking), it would have been the sea, which I always prefer being tiled (if another person does the "de-tiling" upon dismantling it ofc).

P.S: Between the Naval Academy and this build, just HOW MANY dark red slopes do you have?!?!?!?! :tongue:

A great scene to complete the Academy! The boat house is simply beautiful - the perfect balance of clean lines and detail. You are seriously a master of this style! I love the boats as well, especially the larger one. Great custom torso on the first instructor. 

23 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

Aha... now you're putting the "naval" in "naval academy." Good continuation of the project. I think the full-stud offsets work great here and the overall building design is quite pleasing. And the vessels look nice, too. If they're just now learning to sail, then I think at least one of them should reach the dock sailing submerged, Cap'n Jack Sparrow style. :grin:

Thanks. I used a lot of half-stud offsets in the first build, and to vary things a bit went with a full stud offset in most places on this one.

And if I had thought of the Cap'n Sparrow style entrance, I would have definitely used it! :pir-grin:

20 hours ago, Bodi said:

I don't know why but this house reminds of the hangar from Thomas & Friends.:pir_laugh2:

I like this build for its originality, a boat house is something in Bobs. Usually, in nautical related mocs boats were just floating around freely or at best anchored at a dock, I don't recall having seen any building of this type before. And I also like that larger boat.

Now that you mention it, I can see the similarity.

7 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Ohhh! That is a nice building too! Capt Wolf I see you have acquired a taste (and bricks) for architectural details in your builds too! Totally awesome! I also love the bigger ship (I initially thought it was a version of 6277 boat but apparently it isn't)

If I would change something (purely nitpicking), it would have been the sea, which I always prefer being tiled (if another person does the "de-tiling" upon dismantling it ofc).

P.S: Between the Naval Academy and this build, just HOW MANY dark red slopes do you have?!?!?!?! :tongue:

Thanks. And it IS a mod of the boat in the Imperial Trading Post.

I don't have nearly enough trans-blue tiles to do that scene. And as for dark red slopes, you'll notice I had to do this in two parts. :wink:

18 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Yes ! An optimist regatta. Nice continuation of the naval academy.

I second @Bodi  : very original this boat house. Always with the sense of style.

Thanks. I searched for boathouse pics and found one that gave me some ideas.

12 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Good to see some boats in this build, fun presentation too - I especially liked the expressions on the teacher's faces. :pir-laugh:  Great job keeping in the same style while building a totally new kind of shape!

Yes, we had to have boats eventually. And I like to go for a little comedy in the expressions when I can. And working in the same style without simply repeating architectural details was not particularly fun. I had much more fun with the first building.

4 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

A great scene to complete the Academy! The boat house is simply beautiful - the perfect balance of clean lines and detail. You are seriously a master of this style! I love the boats as well, especially the larger one. Great custom torso on the first instructor. 

Thanks. I thought the boathouse should be simpler, and perhaps sturdier, than the main building. The larger boat is a mod of the ITP boat. And I use that custom green admiral sticker whenever I can.

Another stunning build in the series! Well constructed boathouse and it looks like it will offer some much needed practice to the Eslandola naval forces... :head_back:

Your buildings are absolutely impeccable! Love the design and the varying colors of the dock with the reddish brown and brown going along with the stonework! I definitely enjoyed the little story you added as well as the small ship. Another excellent build, Wolf! :laugh:

Wonderful build! I'll surely copy those anchors over the gate, nice idea for a naval academy. Minifig choice and posing and your story are very good additions too!