Finished 01.01.2021

50787161851_eaef6b5eba_b.jpg

A couple of years ago I started a modular Unimog project with the hopes of having a build that would be flexible enough to support a number of different versions and options. It certainly was. However, the Unimog 437 project was intended to provide a U500 cab option, but for a couple of reasons (namely those tires), it was not a great fit for the project. So in the back of my mind I figured I would do a proper U500 version at some point.

The 437 was pretty popular, and it fits within my current design language; mid-sized, manual, truck/car, feature packed. Then when I saw the first reviews of the 76139 Batmobile set, and saw the new 68.7mm tires, and I knew it was time to resurrect the project. I would keep the scale at 1:17.6 as I did with the 437, and those tires would equate roughly to a 445//65/R22.5. Off to the races!

I am partial to the 1st generation (2000-2013) U500, plus @I_Igor did a great 423 series already (Eurobricks). Also, I like the 500 more than the 300 or 400. The 300 looks tiny, and the 500 SWB gives me two extra studs on the wheelbase (24st) over the 400 (22st). I guess if I have enough space I'll switch to a 400, but I (generally) never need less space. I pulled a PDF for the scaling, and I started to set my build parameters.

zU500%20Short%20Side.jpg

I build my MOCs by making a first draft with all the constraints: wheelbase, length, height, width, and general bodywork ideas. I try to keep the colors correct, but if the part is not in front of me, I move on to replace later. Then I start working in features, and rebuild as needed. The first draft came together pretty quickly. While I managed to buy the first tires available on Bricklink, I was not willing to wait for their arrival before I started building.

800x600.jpg

At this point, I determined the features of the truck:

• Front and Rear Live Axle Suspension (sans portal axles) (With dual leading/trailing links and Panhard rods)
  • Front Steering
  • Fake Motor
  • Tipper Bed
  • Tipping Cab
  • Front PTO
  • Rear PTO
  • Rear Bodywork PTO
  • Front Mounting Plate
  • Modular Rear Bed Attachment Points
  • Realistic Bodywork

The tires arrived in time for the second night of building, and they look perfect.

800x600.jpg

By now, all the functions were in place. Loosely. Below you can see the general Front Mounting Plate, and the front PTO.

800x600.jpg

Currently in front of the bed is a Gear that will power features on a mounted body (al la TC9 Entry)

Below you can see the rear bed system. I have found this three way tipper option to work great on my 437 and the MAN TGS truck. The control input is currently on the left side, but it will need to move. The orientation of the lift is backwards, which does not allow for good tilting leverage. Turning the mechanism around will need to move the input to the rear.

This compounds the issue with the rear PTO. It is currently in place just above the hitch, but will need to move when the tipper input is placed in the rear. Few U500s have a rear PTO, so I'll have to decide if this is a feature I want to retain. More to follow...

800x600.jpg

Until the next post, hope you enjoy the next Thirdwigg Motors project. 

Edited by Thirdwigg

Tires look great. I suppose that suspension / axles are the same as on 437... Implement carriers (U216-U530) have suspension arms on front axle connected to front which makes a but complicated to make proper axle, but I have some ideas which will be tried after I finish Fastrac (current incarnation)... It is nice that you chose blue can, perhaps you could use panel 5 x 11 instead of 5 x 7 frame.

1 hour ago, Mechbuilds said:

Will it be modifiable to accept buwizz? 

Nope. Not planning to do a PF version for this one.

58 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Tires look great. I suppose that suspension / axles are the same as on 437... Implement carriers (U216-U530) have suspension arms on front axle connected to front which makes a but complicated to make proper axle, but I have some ideas which will be tried after I finish Fastrac (current incarnation)... It is nice that you chose blue can, perhaps you could use panel 5 x 11 instead of 5 x 7 frame.

Yep, the tires do look great. The axles are the same currently as they were on the 437.They may change as the chassis become closer to final. For instance, it would be great to add the trailing links to the front axle, but it's getting a little busy up front. We'll see if I can make that work.

Cab needs some work, but it will be easy for me to add in the 5 x 11 panel at this point. I hope design a cab that works for multiple colors (red, orange, blue).

After another night of building some progress has been made. No time was spent on the cab as I was adding and fitting features to the chassis.

Below you can now see the tipper mechanism has been turned around and the control input has been moved; it is now controlled by the 12z gear on the right rear bumper. The lifting ability of the tipper mech has been improved. The rear PTO remains as I couldn't give it up. It and the rear hitch has been lowered a stud. Note also a pneumatic pump behind the right fuel tank and a valve and PPTO (Pneumatic Power Take Off) has been added. It's a feature that can fit, but I'm not sure yet how it will be utilized.

800x600.jpg

Below you can see some small changes to the front mounting plate. The vertical mounting points are very rigid due to four connection points to the frame. The horizontal mounting point is not quite as rigid, so I'll work on that as I finalize the Panhard solution for the front suspension. A front hitch is present. The front PTO is in, as is a placement for the front PPTO. 

Both PTOs are always on. In my tractors, I have made sure there is an on/off for each PTO. Adding this features in the U500 would be neat, but would complicate the frame/chassis. I like having a stiff chassis in my MOCs, and adding this feature would require the frame to go around the changeovers. Compromising the chassis in this way means the suspension works less as the frame twists more, which I would prefer not to allow. I'll try a couple of ideas and see if I can find a good option for this problem. The changeovers also take up a lot of room, so we'll see if I can do both them and the Pneumatic system (Can I add a winch too?).

One note here: I currently have a I-4 engine, but switching to a I-6 mini engine (which I find silly looking, but is more correct for scale and the actual truck) might free up some space. We'll see...

800x600.jpg

I'll do one (two?) more night of fitting technical aspects to the truck and determining spacing/fit. Then I'll switch gears and start a second draft of the chassis that incorporates and supports all the technical features. Hopefully the second set of tires will arrive by then.

On 12/19/2019 at 3:10 PM, Thirdwigg said:

I-4 engine, but switching to a I-6 mini engine (which I find silly looking, but is more correct for scale and the actual truck) might free up some space. We'll see...

That is why I have chosen to make U423... it can be max 2400mm wide (with 445/65r22,5 tires), so (in my case) it could be 20 studs wide, but there is no 79mm tire with pattern like this 68.7 and narrow enough...

After 7 x 11 frames arrive I'll start working on last Fastrac version, but I'll probably try to replicate your suspension solution  at least on rear Unimog Axle. Looking forward to see your development Kyle. I know it will be very cool model :thumbup:

Can you post a photo without front tires to display chassis solution?

(perhaps 6 x 4 bent liftarm is solution to front part stiffness)

Edited by I_Igor

@I_Igor Here you go.

800x600.jpg

And...

800x600.jpg

Sorry they are a little dark. It's getting a little busy in the center of the truck, but the sides are still pretty free. We'll see how that gets filled up.

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

(perhaps 6 x 4 bent liftarm is solution to front part stiffness)

Yep. They were in the 437, and are in V2 of the chassis. 

My idea was to see how to integrate technic BB in my model because I have only 2 train BB's... Only difference is (if you have noticed) that longitudinal suspension arms in front axle are connected to front chassis part and not middle which gives a bit unusual feeling for suspension.

Regards

OK, after some busy time with family and friends, I am back to this project.

Sorry the pictures are a little small, but you may find the full res here.

Below you can see some of the changes that have occurred in the recent days, which almost entirely chassis work. I guess it's good to get this perfect at the beginning. From left to right is Chassis v2, v3, and v4. V1 was basically a placeholder chassis in the first picture of the thread. V2 added the features that I wanted to make sure they could all fit. They could. V3 in the center reworked the front and rear frame for improved stiffness with consideration to all the features added. It was here that I decided to move the Pnuematic pump to a vertical orientation. The side orientation was slick and visually clean, but it was tricky to get a finger behind the fuel tank, and it required another hand to stabilize the truck. The placement is "within" the cab, so some changes were needed to the bottom frame of the cab. Other than that no additional visual changes to the cab were needed.

V4 here on the right is not complete, but has since been completed (I'll post soon). I was missing an on/off switch for the rear PTO, which has been added on the right of the truck; otherwise there are no other changes from v3. V4 loses a little frame stiffness, so I am trying to bring that back up to snuff. Next, I'll work to get all the controls set (Pneumatic Valve/PTO switch) in a way that is visually and structurally better. Then I'll finalize the frame.

I am not yet sold on the on/off PTO switch, so if I cannot get the frame to where I want, I'll take it out.

800x450.jpg

Below is the cab in the current iteration. I'm not sure I like the front yet, and it will change slightly since the tilt function does not work perfectly yet. I still need to find a stronger solution for the side mirrors. The interior needs some work, but I'll finalize the exterior first. I like the three seats, so I'll keep that.

800x600.jpg

A little more work today, and I'll post current state of the whole project.

Front part of can is to vertical for real model, but overall I like your blue version...U300-U500 look better in blue than in Orange, but last version is better in orange, so my U423 is orange. V4 is better but bigger frames from Land Rover (black frames 7 x 11) could help you gain stiffness a d space

@I_Igor do you mean the part below the windshield or including the windshield? I still have some work to do on the bottom part, and the windshield is one of those weird ones where your eye notes the glass, but the A pillars are the only part I will build.

I am interested in the 7 x 11 frames. I'll try a couple and see if they provide any benefit without compromising any of the features.

Looking great so far! I really like the scale you're building this moc in. It allows you to put plenty of functions inside and you can add many details without swallowing your entire parts collection. 

I really like this, it somehow looks more pleasant than the 8110 U400. :-)

On 1/6/2020 at 6:35 PM, I_Igor said:

I like your blue version

Also blue pins don't stick out as much :D 

3 hours ago, Jundis said:

I really like this, it somehow looks more pleasant than the 8110 U400. :-)

Also blue pins don't stick out as much :D 

Yes indeed (like on my orange as example).

@Thirdwigg you can use axle joiners in blue for A pillar ...if you have them

@Jundis Glad you like it. Yeah, there are parts of 8110 that look a little harsh.

@I_Igor I have some of the blue parts, but before I decide on the A pillar I need to determine how the mirrors are going to be added. Below is another draft, and I still don't feel great about the mirrors. The upper mount need to be lower, and the lower mount needs to be higher, so maybe some attachment on the A pillar is an option.

800x600.jpg

@HorcikDesigns I now have a full set of four tires, so I looks a little better now. 

I had a little building time yesterday, so added in a winch and ran the pnuematic hoses. I'll need to work on the controls for both next.

Also, at some point I'll need to work on the front again. And the cab.

Just a quick update.

Tipper works (bed need to be cleaned up). PTO on/off works (fuel tank, right side). Winch is routed but does not work. Pneumatic works.

800x572.jpg

Those mirrors look gross. 

800x572.jpg

Next I'll work on the winch, and some visual details. Maybe an implement.

It's been a productive couple of days in Thirdwiggville. I spent some time working on the Cab, and it now has a working internal structure. It is no longer flimsy, and it has a mounting point for the hood, seats, dashboard, and all the decorations. Plus, now it tips. I have tried a couple of options for the mirrors, but I'm still not pleased with any of the options.

49473582143_1d58266a14_b.jpg

I always appreciate your mocs, my compliments for this new Unimog. I like this scale!

Cab looks very good :thumbup:

Now you're tempting me to use 7 x 11 frames to integrate technic BB in my version 

I like how you mix functional an aesthetic features in your MOCs, it is something I can not be able to do it yet. I like how you use the two pin connectors 3L on the liftarm 5x7 open center frames, are you looking for more rigidity?, when I do the same I plus use the axle 4 with center stop, I know that a regular axle 4 would be enough but being able to do it why not?.

Edited by jorgeopesi

Every Unimog You make, has my attention. I love this one, and hope I will be lucky to build it once. 

BTW, Lego Parts Store (via missing parts) has these tires and the new diff for quite affordable prices. Just extended my inventory. ? 

Edited by agrof