On 2/2/2020 at 3:02 AM, mpj said:

I always appreciate your mocs, my compliments for this new Unimog. I like this scale!

Thanks for the praise, so I'll keep building. This is my favorite scale to work in, and it's working well for this project.

On 2/2/2020 at 4:05 AM, I_Igor said:

Cab looks very good :thumbup:

Thanks, small improvements keep coming.

On 2/2/2020 at 5:30 AM, jorgeopesi said:

I like how you use the two pin connectors 3L on the liftarm 5x7 open center frames, are you looking for more rigidity?, when I do the same I plus use the axle 4 with center stop, I know that a regular axle 4 would be enough but being able to do it why not?.

I am not sure what you are getting at here @jorgeopesi. The moc currently does not have any liftarm 5x7 open center frames (or 7x11 for that matter) as they don't line up with any spot for all the mechanics. But, I am still looking for more rigidity. Also, I am not clear about your comment about the 4 axle with center stop. Let me know what you are suggesting, and I'll see if I can make some more changes.

On 2/2/2020 at 5:43 AM, agrof said:

Every Unimog You make, has my attention. I love this one, and hope I will be lucky to build it once. 

BTW, Lego Parts Store (via missing parts) has these tires and the new diff for quite affordable prices. Just extended my inventory. ? 

Thanks again. I'll keep making Unimogs until I find them boring or ugly, neither of which will happen soon. When it's done, I'll post some instructions so you can build your own.

Yep, saw the updates on Lego Parts Store. I ordered 8 more tires, some new diffs, and some other parts from 42099 and 42100 which may find their way into this MOC. We'll see if the prices for the tires start to fall on Bricklink now that they can be sourced directly from TLG, since they are about ten times the cost on Bricklink. 

As you can see I use the same solution and I use an axle 4 with center stop inside, are you using two black 5x7 open frame liftarms in the axles or I see very bad?.

MXUpKiK.jpg

@jorgeopesi Oh I see. Yes, I am using the axle 4 with middle stops on the front and rear axles out of the frames from the bevel gear to the center of the truck as you are in the picture shown. The 5x7 frames are being used for both the front and rear axles, with the pin connectors 3L as you have. It does keep the 4 axle with stop a little more straight through suspension articulation. The design is almost a copy of the ones I used in this 'Mog.

I'll post a picture of the bottom of the current iteration of the truck soon to see the current suspension setup.

2 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

@jorgeopesi Oh I see. Yes, I am using the axle 4 with middle stops on the front and rear axles out of the frames from the bevel gear to the center of the truck as you are in the picture shown. The 5x7 frames are being used for both the front and rear axles, with the pin connectors 3L as you have. It does keep the 4 axle with stop a little more straight through suspension articulation. The design is almost a copy of the ones I used in this 'Mog.

I'll post a picture of the bottom of the current iteration of the truck soon to see the current suspension setup.

When do not have a lot of solutions we all arrive to the best one, that is why I like medium or small MOCs, in big ones achieve the correct solution is more difficult because you have a lot of ways.

7 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

When do not have a lot of solutions we all arrive to the best one, that is why I like medium or small MOCs, in big ones achieve the correct solution is more difficult because you have a lot of ways.

...and you end up always with complicated solution, or lack of some beams like 1 x 8 or 1 x 10...

I picked this project up again after a little time off. I am happy I did. I found a solution that I am happy with for the rear view mirrors. They look good, and the keep the A pillar clean. The rest of the cab is about done, but I am still trying to figure out the center of the hood. Draft 1 is on the left, and draft 2 (wrong color) is on the right. Any ideas?

800x640.jpg

Also, Thirdwigg Jr. untied the front winch so I need to fix that.

Edited by Thirdwigg

IMHO right side (with wrong color) has more appropriate shape. Nice to see you are back on track; I had plans to work on my projects, but that Covid-19 histery caused that I have to work from home which needs more time than classic way of teaching :cry_sad: (so less time for LEGO)

Friends, these last months have been....different. For me, as I am sure for you, your LEGO building has been altered. As such, this project was put on hold for a while. I have brought it back to my workbench, and I am finding the MOC is nearly finished.

I am currently working on the bed, and I have two designs. The one on the right is like all the other tipper beds I have made and works well. I needed something new, which you can see on the left. It's not quite as clean and adds some nice visual disruption and allows for some other details to be added. 

Which do you like better?

800x600.jpg

Also, I have a version with the 80mm Fischertechnik tires that I had to try.

The right one looks better 

And 68.7 tire is my favorite. I have already made more narrow axle for full manual model with this tire on black rim the same as yours (mean tire/rim combo)

O have made the left version on my Mog but it does not look clean or smooth enough

Glad to see this going. I am a big admirer of your work, especially the MOGs. I would say left. Feels more in line with the rest of the truck.

Thanks @I_Igor and @jorgeopesi, I'll keep the smooth look for now. @agrof I am going to keep the left for the U430 which should be done as soon as final parts arrive. 

Yeah, I was a little impatient with the tires. I bought them early for a little too much. I have enough of the tires now, but the Parts Store is coming in handing for a lot of other parts these days (for instance, I got a lot of the Sian parts without having to get the Sian).

OK, I think I am about finished with this Unimog. I'm going to sit with the U500 on the mantle for a couple of days and decide if I need any changes. I finalized the chassis today, to the Pnuematic valve does not come out, and the PTO switch is working. The front winch works well, and locks as needed. Both winch and lock are controlled by the air tanks on the left of the truck. I was also able to add a brace to the rear chassis. I'll post chassis pictures soon.

Any other changes needed? Parts? Colors? 

800x600.jpg

Here is the MOG open.

800x600.jpg

Very nice! I have a weak spot for Unimogs. The Lego Unimog made me rediscover Lego Technic and realise that adults can also like Lego.

A pure beauty :-)

This also in exactly the scale I like for a Lego truck. Just one little detail: Can you fill the underside of the hood with a inverted curved slope like 13547 (sadly not available in blue...) or 24201?

Thanks for your kind words @jorgeopesi, @I_Igor, and @MangaNOID. Glad you like it.

Thanks @WvG_853, yeah, 8110 is one of my favorites, and was the first Big Set I financially reached for.

Thanks @Mechbuilds, but TLG is not for me, I would get too many complaints about my builds (too expensive, not real enough, not enough features, not "Technic"). No thanks.

1 hour ago, Jundis said:

This also in exactly the scale I like for a Lego truck. Just one little detail: Can you fill the underside of the hood with a inverted curved slope like 13547 (sadly not available in blue...) or 24201?

@Jundis Yep, this is my favorite scale, and thanks for the great suggestion. I confess the boat tiles are not great, and the hood is a little flimsy. 13547 does not work, as they are too long and tall, but 24201 does mostly fit. It also makes the hood stronger, and raises the hood just a little bit.

Inverted Curved Slopes on the top, Boat Tiles on the bottom.

800x800.jpg

Different, but not too noticeable. I think I'll keep it. Thanks for the idea, not those little grills will stop falling off.

Edited by Thirdwigg

@Thirdwigg Sorry for the late reply, this Unimog is definitely my favorite now, really well done!  I hope I will be able to build it sometime in the near future. :wink:

It's been a busy week in Thirdwiggville, so let's keep adding to it.

I have a little imposter syndrome going on with this MOC after @MajklSpajkl's excellent U400 from a couple of weeks ago. This is not that kind of build, and either way, I am happy with how it turned out. Thanks to all of you who helped this project along over the last year.

First, here is the video of the U500.

Here are some final pictures, and you can see the rest here.

50786375928_b8e3de7535_b.jpg

The MOC finished with these features:

• Opening Doors
  • Tilting Cab
  • Three Way Tipper Bed
  • Steering
  • Suspension (Live Axle)
  • 4x4
  • Fake I4 Engine
  • Pneumatic Pump
  • Front/Rear Pneumatic TakeOff Switch
  • Center PTO
  • Front PTO
  • Rear PTO with on/off switch
  • Front Winch (with lock)

50786400048_bb81edc556_b.jpg

Tipper Bed

50787150141_53b238411a_b.jpg

Rear: I changed the Tipper Bed knob, so it is now centered and at the top. I did this to have a uniform rear attachment point. I'll show this soon.

50786401618_089fc32043_b.jpg

Right Side

50787263007_672fb1342f_b.jpg

I also made a U430 version as well. It's a little shorter, but has most of the same functions. Shown with Fischertechnic 80mm tires. I need to add the bed back on.

50787162551_d51f49ee36_c.jpg

And in Orange (WIP) with the TLG tires.

50787163066_907e2100d3_b.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the final project, and the process of building it.

Now time for some attachments. 

Somehow blue one us the most beautiful if them all, but since I work (occasionally) on white U216-218 with shorter wheelbase (24 studs) and batmobile tires...and it will be full manual. You showed me that even little MOC (and manual) can be very nice.

Really like your Unimogs

Ouyeah! This is it! Such a clean build! I love the way you moved the winch controls to the middle - perfectly camouflaged! Tipping mechanism is also very efficient, mine is more crude and I don't have actual conecton of the bed with the lifting "ram", it just pushes it up... I like the blue version the most! 

What did you mena by center PTO?

And most important - no imposter syndrom going on at all - we worked on same/similar model at the same time, but with different approaches. I can easily say, that your bild looks much cleaner and all the functions are way betterl thought off and part usage is really optimised. Great job! As from the begining of my get-back to LEGO, your models are still an inspiration!

Best regards!

Miha

I've said it and will say it again: This is just brilliant.

One question: Why did you choose white 1x1 plates instead of tiles for the reversing lights?

@Rudivdk In my opinion, this is worthy for hall of fame ;-)

5 minutes ago, Jundis said:

@Rudivdk In my opinion, this is worthy for hall of fame ;-)

I agree, I suggest @Thirdwigg to update the first post to include the finished photos and I can make it happen :wink:

As other said, the blue version really stands out. I wanted to ask you on YouTube, but since the comments are not possible, i will ask here. Why did you not use the 8110's torque tube pieces to add more bracing to the axles?