Sign in to follow this  
Capt Wolf

[ESL – Royal Naval Academy] Part I: Main campus

In light of the recent news of Eslandola’s disastrous encounter with the Sea Rats (see the latest issue of the KPA ), the timing couldn’t be better for Eslandola’s Continental Council to announce the opening of a Royal Naval Academy on Salida Este.

full_1.jpg

The building shown here contains both administrative offices and classrooms.

angle_from_right.jpg

wide.jpg

High-ranking officials are on hand to tour the campus.

door.jpg

upstairs.jpg

Eslandola’s colors fly from the mast in the center of the quad.

flagpole.jpg

In addition to classroom studies, new cadets engage in physical training.

run.jpg

tree.jpg

Rear admiral Guzman inspects one of the cannons on display, longing for the smell of gunpowder mixed with sea air...

cannon.jpg

A view from above:

Spoiler

top.jpg

Part II: Wading pool

Part III: Boat house

All C&C welcome.

Another amazing build, Wolf! :laugh: The architectural style is spectacular along with all the beautiful colors. Love the pearl gold at the top and dark red roofing! I've mentioned this before in your other mocs, but your usage of the different foliage colors, as well as the wedge plates, definitely creates some beautiful landscaping! 

Glad we have a naval academy now. With a one this size and gorgeous, we'll be ready for the SR! :devil_laugh:

This looks great, I really like the colonial style of the building (very satisfying size too!) and the details of sideways tiles and white lip plates are all spot on.  The mast centerpiece was a really cool idea too, and the simple landscape gives it a well-maintained feel.  Good to finally see it posted, I've been looking forward to this! :wink: 

An amazing build, can't wait for parts II and III. Some stunning facade detail, and as mentioned above the mast is such a cool centrepiece for the otherwise pretty bland front area. Excellent stuff, I'm sure this would be an eyecatcher on any convention! :thumbup:

Also, completely unrelated:

1 hour ago, Capt Wolf said:

(see the upcoming issue of the KPA)

I would, but the damn thing is late once again. Get back to typing man! :pir_tong2:  :wink:

Edited by Darnok

A gorgeous build.  The wall details and main tower carving are perfectly done.

Beautiful. That building is probably my favorite of your land builds. Scratch that -- it is my favorite. The singular use of white is lovely and naturally pairs extremely well with dark red and gold. I love the general historic appearance. The details out front, particularly the soaring flagpole and cannons, are pretty good too.

I'm torn with the appearance of the grass. I appreciate what you're trying to accomplish, but a part of me thinks either the use of standard green everywhere, or a more dense scattering of the various shades and tints of green, might look better. But this approach works reasonably well.

I fully understand the difficulty of building decent interiors, especially when the exterior is somewhat scaled down for the obvious reasons of size and cost; however, I think a standalone interior build of a larger scale showing the inner workings of the academy would be fantastic...

Good work.

That's a fine example of "just all boring buildings".:head_back: Seriously, you have here a very nice campus, capt. Wolf. :thumbup:

Great work on such an impressive and grand building - well fitting of a Royal property for Eslandola! The way you have done the tan crossed anchors and shield is fantastic and really gives the facade an identity as a Naval building. I also particularly like the window and balcony designs. The marching cadets, well maintained parade ground with cannon and flag pole instantly remind me of any number of Naval bases I've been on. Great work!

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I'm glad this build has been well received. It was a lot of work!

On 12/17/2019 at 9:33 AM, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

Another amazing build, Wolf! :laugh: The architectural style is spectacular along with all the beautiful colors. Love the pearl gold at the top and dark red roofing! I've mentioned this before in your other mocs, but your usage of the different foliage colors, as well as the wedge plates, definitely creates some beautiful landscaping! 

Glad we have a naval academy now. With a one this size and gorgeous, we'll be ready for the SR! :devil_laugh:

Thank you! But if we're going to counter the Sea Rats, we need more ships!

On 12/17/2019 at 10:11 AM, Kai NRG said:

This looks great, I really like the colonial style of the building (very satisfying size too!) and the details of sideways tiles and white lip plates are all spot on.  The mast centerpiece was a really cool idea too, and the simple landscape gives it a well-maintained feel.  Good to finally see it posted, I've been looking forward to this! :wink: 

Thanks. Those sideways tiles were tedious to do, but worth the effort. The mast centerpiece was what started me thinking about this in the first place.

On 12/17/2019 at 10:16 AM, Darnok said:

An amazing build, can't wait for parts II and III. Some stunning facade detail, and as mentioned above the mast is such a cool centrepiece for the otherwise pretty bland front area. Excellent stuff, I'm sure this would be an eyecatcher on any convention!

Thank you!

On 12/17/2019 at 11:21 AM, Kwatchi said:

A gorgeous build.  The wall details and main tower carving are perfectly done.

Thanks. I'm fond of that shield and anchor relief piece.

On 12/17/2019 at 12:49 PM, Professor Thaum said:

Absolutely wonderful one !

And this idea of a naval academy :thumbup:

The central frontwall is incredible !

Thanks. FYI, the inspiration for the building itself was the Ali'iolani Hale building in Hawaii (better known as the visual used for Hawaii Five-O HQ).

23 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

Beautiful. That building is probably my favorite of your land builds. Scratch that -- it is my favorite. The singular use of white is lovely and naturally pairs extremely well with dark red and gold. I love the general historic appearance. The details out front, particularly the soaring flagpole and cannons, are pretty good too.

I'm torn with the appearance of the grass. I appreciate what you're trying to accomplish, but a part of me thinks either the use of standard green everywhere, or a more dense scattering of the various shades and tints of green, might look better. But this approach works reasonably well.

I fully understand the difficulty of building decent interiors, especially when the exterior is somewhat scaled down for the obvious reasons of size and cost; however, I think a standalone interior build of a larger scale showing the inner workings of the academy would be fantastic...

Good work.

Wow. Favorite is good. :pir-oh:  Thanks! I enjoyed working in all white, as it made me emphasize textures and relief.

As for the grass, this was my first attempt at using the other colors to break up the green. This has been finished for months, and I've used the technique on other smaller builds since then with better effect, I think. Still learning how to best do it.

I considered doing a separate build as an interior, and if we hadn't had enough other ideas to complete the royal, I might have gone that way. Maybe for another project. You are right that an actual interior would be scaled down too much, but I did contemplate it briefly.

20 hours ago, Bodi said:

That's a fine example of "just all boring buildings".:head_back: Seriously, you have here a very nice campus, capt. Wolf. :thumbup:

Thanks. And I'll agree this isn't a "boring" building, but when trying to keep other buildings looking similar, it can get monotonous fast.

10 hours ago, W Navarre said:

This is a real fine military campus! I like the elegance and the details! 

Thank you! That was the feel I was gong for.

7 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

:wub:

Easily one of your best builds so far and best colonial building around!!!

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Great work on such an impressive and grand building - well fitting of a Royal property for Eslandola! The way you have done the tan crossed anchors and shield is fantastic and really gives the facade an identity as a Naval building. I also particularly like the window and balcony designs. The marching cadets, well maintained parade ground with cannon and flag pole instantly remind me of any number of Naval bases I've been on. Great work!

Thanks. I was happy with the windows and balconies, too. All the windows are half-stud offset on jumpers, and I love using those arched window pieces. And definitely wanted that navy base feel.

A most beautiful building! Great styling on the façade and overall layout of the whole structure!

Looking forward to the next issue of the KPA as well!