Another MOD of the fantastic 8081 set is done! Styled after a LR Defender pickup, this MOD features the following:

• 4x4 drive.
  • Steering
  • Front and Rear live axle suspension with Panhard rods
  • Opening doors and tailgate
  • Seating for four
  • V-8 fake engine
  • Roll cage
  • Fischertechnic 80mm tires.

Full album is here

49221917663_e6f4c14849_b.jpg

Driveline

49222617882_63230c0cfb_b.jpg

From the left

49221916698_a111d61533_b.jpg

Articulation

49222390336_1e12d2c075_b.jpg

I'm still working on the sport pickup, but this should be good for now.

Wow, it looks awesome! I really like the look of it, the way the original car in front seamlessly blends with new extended body, it all combined with your clean building style and that harsh tractor tires (Fischertechnik?), makes an awesome MOC. I also really like the fact that you managed to make completely new chassis for it. Is LDD file or more photos of the chassis without the body available? ;) 

4 hours ago, HorcikDesigns said:

Wow, it looks awesome! I really like the look of it, the way the original car in front seamlessly blends with new extended body, it all combined with your clean building style and that harsh tractor tires (Fischertechnik?), makes an awesome MOC. I also really like the fact that you managed to make completely new chassis for it. Is LDD file or more photos of the chassis without the body available? ;) 

Glad you like it. I don't plan to do a LDD, but I'll take some more photos of it as I take it apart. Should happen soon.

Video is up.

Thirdwigg model is very conservative and the those tires are unique. Very different from the other entries...  There are others that have enter the contest and I believe johnnym and I (sirslayer) haven't officially joined in.. I just need a few more days.. Im on my 7th version :)   and johnnym might be also?? zerobicks, syclone touch4nx, horcikdesign and thirdwigg have submit their entries. @Arioh, I though Arioh and Jurss also submit their entry but I cant find it!!

Edited by sirslayer

@sirslayer is correct, im in game too. My entry was one of the earliest and one of the simpliest... 

But damn, this contest made 8081 to be one of my favorite sets...

Sorry for being late guys, but Christmas came in between. :classic:

@Thirdwigg:
Cool mod! :thumbup: It could clearly go as 8081's pickup brother - though I'm still more in favor of your sports pickup, sorry :classic:. Maybe that truck could be used as basis for a four-door 8081, that would be interesting. A pity you don't plane for a digital model (I know that's a lot of work). Would you maybe consider documenting when you take it apart (maybe with a video)?

Those Fischertechnik tyres are really great - I think I originally got to know these through a video of @rm8. That front axle design would have also worked well in your 4x4 8081 mod. It would be cool if I could use that in my mod of your 4x4 8081 mod, it would allow to re-add the two cylinders I removed for better suspension travel. Using Panhard rods on the axles makes it very realistic. Say is the model that heavy that you needed to use the shock absorbers with (extra-)hard springs, or did you just wanted to have a hard suspension?

I also like the front bumper - say, where did you get these LBG panels from? Making the tailgate open to one side is a cool idea and saves space. I have mixed feelings about the roll bar: IMO it is too massive - if you compare it for example with the A pillars, they're not as massive and in the end they'd have to support the roll bar, when the truck does a rollover, or? Maybe using more axles and less axle connectors would make them less eye-catching. OTOH, it seems to look different from different angles. I also changed my mind over the height of the cabin, I now think it looks right as it is. Good that you didn't bother and stayed with the original height.

@johnnym Thanks for your feedback. The Sports Pickup has been a little dormant, but I'll pick it up again soon.

I'll document the disassembly so you can see the build when the 110 is ready to be done.

The LBG panels came from the Bugatti (Bricklink). I agree about the roll bar, but the truck looks plain without something else providing a little color.