Sign in to follow this  
mcphatty

[MOC] Micro Millennium Falcon

“She may not look like much but she’s got it where it counts, kid.”

Instructions are available over at Rebrickable 

1920x1920.jpg

I’ve been working on this Micro Millennium Falcon for about three years now, in that time she’s evolved from a simple modified Microfighter into a chunky little micro build. I wanted to get the proportions as accurate as possible but couldn’t resist throwing in an interior.

1280x1280.jpg

I tried to incorporate as many of the Falcon’s distinguishing features as I could, like the exterior holes, coloured panels and vents, interior layout and most importantly the Dejarik table (I always let that Wookiee win).

1280x1280.jpg

I built it so that both halves are studs-out and there is as much detail on the underneath of the hull as there is on top. The upper and lower hull sections interlock in a complicated way and are held together by the side docking rings. The sandwiching adds a surprising amount of strength to the the weaker areas of the upper half as well as adding a fun challenge mid way through the build, there’s no room for mistakes or wonky 1x1 plates!

1280x1280.jpg

This MOC is a final update to the Micro Falcon I posted earlier in the year, it still looks similar but has a much stronger structure and some improved cosmetic details in a ridiculous attempt at movie accuracy.

800x800.jpg

My biggest sticking point over the year was coming up with of a better way to represent the tunnel. The 2x2 round-topped brick only ever fit at a 45 degree angle (not quite right for the ship) and because of this the cockpit was too far forward. In the end I just gave up and replaced it with some wedge plates which I think look good enough and if nothing else help to improve the strength in that corner.

And this is one of the many dirty render and research collages I’ve stared at thoughtfully and scribble illegible notes on. 

800x800.jpg

So that’s my Micro Falcon done and dusted. It’s been a fun project and I’ve learned a lot about putting together Stud.io instructions along the way. I hope you get as much joy from this little Falcon as I have from working on it. Now, Chewie, punch it!

Edited by mcphatty

Looks great! The overall shape is very accurate!

Edited by Reaper

1 hour ago, Reaper said:

Looks great! The overall shape is very accurate!

Thanks! The shape gave me headaches for so long, discovering that those 2x2 wedge pieces were the best angle for the mandibles was a blessing and a curse. For a while the insides of the mandibles were mostly made of them too and I’m sure you can imagine they were so weak and that parts order cost a lot on Bricklink too. It’s much simpler now :)

One thing I’m terrible at is building settings, so I thought I’d see what I could do in Stud.io with a 32x32 base plate for this Falcon.

1920x618.jpg

800x600.jpg

Edited by mcphatty

I’ve had the pieces sitting in a box since December, this week I finally made the time to rebuild my Falcon and take a few photos! Big thanks to Seejay over at Rebrickable (not sure if you’re on here too mate?) for his help refining the instructions and correcting a few mistakes. 
I’ve got this little guy displayed in my living room, my wife is much happier with this over a UCS Falcon, which I haven’t got the balls to splash out on... yet.

I updated the top of my post with the photos, here are the original Studio renders, plus a bit of nostalgia :)

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

It's really well done; the little interior is a nice touch.