Sign in to follow this  
Ross Fisher

[OL FB] Church of Poseidon - Mesabi Landing

Whalebone church

...I don't bloody know what the Abbé was thinking, setting up a Church of Poseidon in Mesabi Landing of all places. By all that's holy, even Meloche wouldn't've done something as mad as this. 
He can claim that the tidal wave that desolated this town was the will of the god, and that the heathens got what they deserve. I just wish he wouldn't do it when we're surrounded by the buggers. 
He reckons it'll give us an edge in the tournament. I reckon we'll catch the edge of someone's blade if we're not careful. Sodding hell!

Extract from the journal of Robin the Cabin Boy

Whale bone chapel

I know I should've posted this before the 9th to get any kind of bonus, so I'm sorry I didn't put it up. Frankly, I suspect I'm not going to be rewarded for plonking a Church of Poseidon in Mesabi Landing, but I built the thing a while back, and it seemed really appropriate here.

Hope you like it (enough to overlook the awkwardness...)! Built and licensed.

Edited by Ross Fisher

The severe expression of our Abbe and his halbard should suffise to prevent any attempt against  the church, even in Mesabi Landing.:laugh: 

The whale skeleton looks quite good, so does its base, I don't know if it's due to the lightning, but I thought it was a wooden base at first glance.

Huh, some bare bones on the beach are what's counting as a "church" in Oleon these days? :pir_tong2:

Seriously, though, lovely build! Instantly reminded me of the Ideas Dinosaur Fossils, very cool.

Fun fact: I've been contemplating a "Shrine of Poseidon" for a while, something made from driftwood at the beach. I consider it pretty reasonable that after the "wrath of the sea" has hit Mesabi Landing that some of its folks would turn to Poseidon to prevent future "punishment". Nice to see a similar idea done differently. :thumbup:

9 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

I know I should've posted this before the 9th to get any kind of bonus, so I'm sorry I didn't put it up. Frankly, I suspect I'm not going to be rewarded for plonking a Church of Poseidon in Mesabi Landing, but I built the thing a while back, and it seemed really appropriate here.

Dammit, you better had let me know in advance. I don't want to change anything for the first round, but if you remind me after the third game I will add a bonus for the second round. A morale boost due to the Abbés zealous fury maybe, if only due to fear?

I'll definitely try to include it in the game commentaries in some way!

Great looking skeletal remains!

And while religion is left to individuals in Corrington, putting a little fear of the gods into the inhabitants of Mesabi Landing surely will not hurt ;)

20 hours ago, Bodi said:

The whale skeleton looks quite good, so does its base, I don't know if it's due to the lightning, but I thought it was a wooden base at first glance.

Yeah, that's my lighting. I'll have to post another version.

@Bregir Thanks! I'm really pleased with it.

@Professor Thaum Appreciated!

6 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

Yeah, that's my lighting. I'll have to post another version.

Lighting, that's what I meant, not lightning :grin:. I like how it looks now.

GREAT whale skeleton! It is the most bizzare chapel I have ever seen and I love it! Makes sense from a mariner's point of view!

On 12/14/2019 at 3:39 AM, Bodi said:

I thought it was a wooden base at first glance

That makes two of us!

I'll second what has already been said about the whale skeleton! It's a fantastic build and a very original concept for a church.

If the Abbe ever finds himself in Jameston he's welcome to visit the pious at my attempt at a temple of Poseidon

I wonder if the Padre will give a lecture about some fella named Jonah while visiting the Landing lol.

Well done on the skeleton by the way

Nice build, very original and appropriate idea for a "church" dedicated to Poseidon! The effect of the light on your tan base is very peculiar, it actually seems wood

On 12/31/2019 at 7:21 PM, Keymonus said:

The effect of the light on your tan base is very peculiar, it actually seems wood

Yep, I'm aware of the issue. Check the spoilers for a better picture. 

Excellent work with the skeleton. The base looks so much like real wood in that first pic, which would be really cool if it was supposed to be wood, and not sand! I think it shows the build better than the other pic, but I appreciate you posting it nonetheless. And good write-up too.