Sign in to follow this  
building4ever

Sand Green bricks for the Green Grocer?

I could finally buy the Green Grocer, the seller had put together everything from original parts. He only replaced all sand green parts with bright yellowish green because they sand green are so extremely expensive. Now: Could someone give me a hint where I can get the original bricks in that colour? I find a lot on eBay, only the "Brick, Modified 1 x 2 with Groove" doesn't exist. If necessary, I would also use bricks from another manufacturer if necessary. 

Thank you!

Well, the obvious answer is: Bricklink. But make sure you're sitting when you take a look at the prices for the 1x2 Bricks with Groove. ;-)

Bricklink is really your best option. I know it's expensive - you need at least 50 of those 1x2 bricks with groove, not to mention another 50 1x8 bricks, both of which run $3+ even in large quantities. Just for those two parts, you're looking at $300+. They're gonna remain that way until they are released in more sets, and who knows when that could be! 

2 hours ago, building4ever said:

Yes I checked that and I almost cried ;) Therefore I thought of buying non-Lego bricks, but there seems to be no trustable market place.

This is a LEGO forum so the idea of using knock off bricks is not one that will be taken kindly here. 

15 minutes ago, supertruper1988 said:

This is a LEGO forum so the idea of using knock off bricks is not one that will be taken kindly here. 

Is the forum  sponsored by Lego? I understand all the IP issues of TLG but honestly I‘m asking for bricks where the patent has expired. TLG could offer bricks in that same colour, I would gladly order them directly.

17 minutes ago, building4ever said:

Is the forum  sponsored by Lego? I understand all the IP issues of TLG but honestly I‘m asking for bricks where the patent has expired. TLG could offer bricks in that same colour, I would gladly order them directly.

It is a recognized LEGO® Community and has rules against discussing clones and off brand bricks. 

2 minutes ago, supertruper1988 said:

It is a recognized LEGO® Community and has rules against discussing clones and off brand bricks. 

Oh my. Well ok. Sad to hear that creativity is limited by commercial interest even in builder communities.

I hope you didn't pay too much for that set, considering a lot of it was swapped out. So either the seller rebuilt it from bricklink and flipped it to you, or they kept the expensive parts to sell separately.

As mentioned, just to make it official, you will be spending quite a fortune to finish it.

I rebricked the Green Grocer while using normal 1x2 bricks instead of the grooved ones. Still looks pretty good. If the grooved ones will be rereleased in the future I can still replace them. The 1x3 and 1x8 bricks I replaced by simply combining the easily available 1x1, 1x2, 1x6 and 1x4 in an appropriate way, what does not have an influence on the look.

I am quite happy with the result.

Edited by Dennis2nd

I used the masonry profile brick (98283) instead of the grooved one. Exists in sand green, available in quantity, cheap and in my opinion looks better than the grooved brick.

Edited by kodlovag

1 hour ago, TheLegoDr said:

I hope you didn't pay too much for that set, considering a lot of it was swapped out. So either the seller rebuilt it from bricklink and flipped it to you, or they kept the expensive parts to sell separately.

As mentioned, just to make it official, you will be spending quite a fortune to finish it.

No ist was around 150 EUR, quite ok. Thanks for the idea of swapping the 1x8 with 1x4 and 1x6/1x2

19 hours ago, kodlovag said:

I used the masonry profile brick (98283) instead of the grooved one. Exists in sand green, available in quantity, cheap and in my opinion looks better than the grooved brick.

That's what I was going to suggest as well, use the 1x2 sand green masonary profile bricks instead.  It would probably be an improvement to the set along with being cheaper.

Replace the 1x8 bricks with 1x4. It has no detrimental effect on looks and building rigidity.

The grooved 1x2 bricks have been in some sets lately so price should come down.

On 12/12/2019 at 12:11 PM, supertruper1988 said:

That’s really unfortunate. I’m on the Audiworld forum and we discuss Mercedes, BMW, Tesla.  However, I’m sure the OP can find other places to discuss his question and find what he needs.  I’ll respect the rules of the forum and leave it at that.  

5 hours ago, Berthil said:

The grooved 1x2 bricks have been in some sets lately so price should come down.

Are you sure? Which recent sets feature 1x2 bricks with groove in sand green?

On 12/12/2019 at 12:11 PM, supertruper1988 said:

I'm not here that often but are you a mod here? And if that is a cult... I mean community rule this is just another example that I'm right to stay stay away from the outlandish BS 'rules'.

No one, NO ONE would ever know the difference between a LEGO grooved brick and a none lego grooved brick. I now feel like making a knock off brand MOC and posting it here and see if you would even notice.

3 hours ago, Maple said:

I'm not here that often but are you a mod here? And if that is a cult... I mean community rule this is just another example that I'm right to stay stay away from the outlandish BS 'rules'.

No one, NO ONE would ever know the difference between a LEGO grooved brick and a none lego grooved brick. I now feel like making a knock off brand MOC and posting it here and see if you would even notice.

Absolutely 100% correct.  But, there are consequences to truthfulness. ?

13 minutes ago, Jerry McGlade said:

The Haunted House has those bricks..

Haunted House doesn't have this particular shape of Sand Green brick, which the Topic Creator is talking about being the rare/expensive bricks.

4216.png ,

Those only came with 2008 Green Grocer (56 in set) and 2011 Diagon Alley (26 in set)

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=4216&colorID=48&in=A

However, Haunted House did have 72x regular 1x2 sand green bricks & quite a lot of 1x1/1x4/1x6 :thumbup:

Edited by TeriXeri

Exactly, I have both sets that’s why I say that. About the 2 •1 slit piece, I would agree with the rest of the crowd and get them on BrickLink. 

Edited by Jerry McGlade

I know I already commented a while ago. When I first got back into LEGO in 2010, I think I got my first modular in 2011. I was beyond the first 3 buildings. Early on I wanted to buy them (and they were even cheaper back then), but I couldn't really justify those prices. And I didn't love them 100% to justify it. So I bricklinked them, like a lot of people have. Now same boat, the rare pieces were expensive then just as they are now. So I took a different route. I used a different color. And unfortunately I never got around to getting pictures of it, but I was one of the first to have a sand blue version done. The sand blue groove piece is easily accessible. And personally sand blue looks amazing compared to sand green (personal preference). But since then, I have grown to not really care for the early modulars. They were neat at the time and revolutionary in terms of build style. And they still provide new details/colors/piece usage, so I still buy them. But I've found myself not worrying about the official build and only MOCing my buildings. I don't remember the last modular I've actually built. Maybe Detective Office? I have since torn down and modified/MOCified other buildings with the pieces.

I think I'm trying to say, if you want the official, bite the bullet and pay $$ unfortunately. OR modify it to something else and most likely appreciate it more because it will be unique (and cheaper). If I ever get around to getting pictures of the sand blue  version, I'll post them on the EB. I modified other bits of it also since the original design was lacking in areas. Not symmetrical enough where it should have been. (and this is coming from a huge Jamie fan)

You can get these pieces in sand green for cheap on Aliexpress.

It might be necessary to move this thread to the community forum since it touches clone brands which btw are explicitly allowed to discuss by forum rules.