Ayrlego

[GoC] A New Haven

Adam Todd had trained most of his adult life for war. When war came; however, he did not march into battle at the head of his troops in a glorious redcoat as he had once dreamed. Instead it was a dirty, vicious war in the service of an unlikely ally... Shortly after resigning his commission in the Corlander Army, Todd was employed by Corlander authorities to travel to the Isle de Medio to observe first hand how warfare was conducted in the New World. Attached as an observer to Mardierian forces, his brief was strictly to observe only. He was not an official representative of the Crown. Unexpectedly he felt a fierce kinship with the Mardierian forces; particularity the young officer commanding the unit he was attached to, Captain Giovanni Lorenzini. Soon he was far exceeding his original brief, helping to plan and conduct operations for the Mardierians. As the conflict increasingly turned in favour in the Eslandolan and Garvian aggressors, he fought in more and more desperate  actions, even after he was ordered by his Corlander contacts to leave. He was still on the Isle de Medio at the bitter end, feeling the same frustration with distant Mardierian high command at the capitulation and a deep affinity with the common settlers left to experience the fate of the conquered. It was around this time he began to care for one of the widows of the unit and her infant daughter. He was with Lorenzini when he attempted to found the free settlement of Nova Malto. Savagely rejecting Corlander attempts to mediate, Eslandolan forces surrounded the settlement and demanded retribution. Again the survivors of the conflict faced annihilation. After a prolonged stand-off, Corlander diplomats lead by Don Isaac Montoya negotiated a solution where Corrington transported any former Mardierian citizen of the Isle de Medio who did not what to live under the rule of their conquerors to the Corrish claimed island of Alicentia, where land had been provided for the establishment of a new settlement - known to Corrington as New Haven; although the Mardierian settlers themselves still widely called it Nova Malto (despite the Eslandolans claiming the same name for their own settlement on the sight of orginal Malto). Todd, together with his widow Juliana, and her daughter Mia, travelled to New Haven with Lorenzini who became Mayor.

49201682873_2615149bf8_z.jpg

Now that New Haven has developed with a decidedly Mardierian flavour, Todd and his adapted family have moved to a new and larger residence in a quiet piazza known as Fountain Square. The building is constructed from the sandstone that Alicentia is famous for, although the local varient is darker in colour than that found in Mooreton Bay, on the other side of the island. The buildings have a classic Mardierian look and are topped with dark terracotta roof tiles. The family occupy the two floors above a laundry owned by another former Maltoian, Lenia. Lenia conducts a thriving business, washing and repairing clothes for the townsfolk. Meanwhile Todd has completely abandoned his former profession and seeks to try his luck at more peaceful endeavours.

49202168141_215ca047d2_z.jpg

With the majority of the population of New Haven being ethnic Mardierian, that countries culture is evident everywhere and Todd's residence is no exception. Juliana and Mia tend small tomoto plots whose fruit is used to make the traditional base sauce used in so much of Mardierian cuisine. A lemon tree is meanwhile carefully tended by Todd himself and his neighbour Marco. They are planning to attempt to brew some of the fiery lemon liqueur known as lemoncello now that the tree is yielding plenty of fruit. One day Todd may find a new profession, but now he enjoys the simple life looking after his family. A life not tainted with the blood and violence of the Isle de Medio. 

Hi all! A digital build I worked on while I was away, but it's mainly about the story here trying to tie in some old characters from challenge V and it's aftermath and the lore of New Haven. The build was designed so I could make a whole series of scenes that join together to become the piazza. Whether that ever happens though.... :) Hopefully there will be at least two more scenes of the GoC anyway! I am back from sea again now, probably for a long time so I expect to get re-acquainted with BoBs again over the coming weeks. Anyway I hope to be back building again soon, although I have to move my bricks back home over the summer. Good news though is that my 'Lego room' has been fully renovated now and designed especially for building operations!!!

Scene will be licensed as a large artisan for New Haven.

Great partisan presentation of the Isla Victoria politics! :pir-grin:  Seriously, I did enjoy it and the build itself is really good--especially the grey stripes.  A laundry business is something new for BoBS I think, certainly at this scale.  I see you seem to have taken advantage of some gravity defying superpowers in that department though. :pir-laugh:

Wonderful build! I love the architectural style (especially the overhang), and the color choices really make it unique. Amazing what going from reds to browns does for the roof, and I love the (medium dark flesh?) brick color. Using both sides of the masonry bricks is a nice way to vary the texture, along with the other usual methods. And a great write-up from the Corrish perspective of the war. Another real beauty from you, and especially glad to hear you're back in the BoBS waters for the foreseeable future!

Ayrlego, you're making me hungry, you sea dog, you! All this talk of "piazza" and "tomato sauce" and the build even looks like a pizza. You've got your pepperoni shutters, baked cheese walls, mushroom roof, etc. I just want to eat it. :moar: :grin:

It's good to have you back. Nice design, beautiful use of color, and a good story from the past. 

Approved for the "Glory of Corrington!" :thumbup:

Edited by Captain Dee

Very nice build, as we may expect from you, Ayrlego. I like the overhanging structure on the second floor, looks quite special. The roof made with round bricks is fitting to a colonial style house.

And it's good to know the whereabouts of our old acquaintance, that Lorenzini.:thumbup:

Really great. Not only the house itself looks great, but also the colors / combination.
Also like the overhang, the stairs part to the second floor and the roof. The same 'roof' on the walls is a nice detail too.

Simply Superb! Your builds never cease to impress me. The asymmetrical building with the fantastic brick texturing is very well executed. And the furnished courtyard is a nice added bonus! Minifig posing can be tiresome in digital builds, so great job on that as well!

A :thumbup: from me as a apprentice reviewer!

Great colors and exceptional build as always Ayrlego! The building technique on the walls is the most efficient I've seen so far using (almost) solely brick profile bricks because with only a simple array of bricks other than those profile ones, you really broke that monotonous look it would otherwise had (I hope that sentence really makes sense :tongue: ).

I love the styling for this! The colors are great alongside the small details added (never would have thought of cookies)! The clothing drying rack is a very nice addition to me as I don't think I've personally ever seen one before in Lego. Absolutely adore the layout and design of this MOC, and love the story alongside it! :laugh:

As Capt. Wolf said, I'm glad to hear that you'll be back with us! 

:thumbup: from me. 

This is a really pretty build and well done in digital form. I love the story and tying up all the random loose ends of previous stories.

I would like to know how you render with the brick edges showing, as I always struggle with the seemless look in my digital builds. 

Thanks for the positive comments all!

On 12/28/2019 at 3:18 PM, SilentWolf said:

I would like to know how you render with the brick edges showing, as I always struggle with the seemless look in my digital builds. 

I use BlueRender 0.0.0.6beta with Bublible's Sunflow Mod (BUSUFL). Only problem is it's an older version of BUSUFL that doesn't seem to be available any more on the website. I should still have the executable file somewhere but when I last tried to email it someone Outlook had a meltdown like I was trying to email a virus or something!

Lovely house and nice story! I like the unique architecture of this house, very appropriate for the Marderian refugees, and the several details you added, such as the small decorative ball at the wall corner, the plants and the women washing clothes. Well done!